Gibson Brands Forums

1966 or 1969 j45

spwhite

According to several websites the serial number on my guitar comes up as either a 66 or 69 model. Is there a way to determine which year the guitar was actually made? Like is there a feature that was used only during 69 that was not used on the 66?

It may be possible to help you nail it down (so to speak) if you provide some additional information, some photos (or a link to some photos), and a more detailed description.

Shape? -- square shoulders, or round

Colour? -- red, black, a cherryburst or a tobaccoburst

Tuners?

Bridge?

Neck width at nut?

Etc. etc.

These could help in offering an opinion as to '66 or '69.

Fred

Thanks for the quick reply!! Any idea on how to add a picture here? I've got a pretty decent picture but cant find out how to uplaod it to this forum. By the way round shouldered, somewhere between cherryburst and tobacco I guess, adjustable bridge.

Thanks for the quick reply!! Any idea on how to add a picture here? I've got a pretty decent picture but cant find out how to uplaod it to this forum. By the way round shouldered' date=' somewhere between cherryburst and tobacco I guess, adjustable bridge.[/quote']

For photos, just insert the photo's location on the web in between the two"" thingies, which appear when you click on the "image" icon when you are preparing a post.

I think round shouldered sounds more like a '66 than a '69.

Fred

A '66 will have a very narrow -- about 1-9/16 -- nut. The '69 will be wider, probably around what it is on new ones.

Now for an opinion: the '66, because of the way it was built, will sound wonderful. The '69, by contrast, might sound good, but the odds are against it. The normal "opening up" of a guitar that old could have done wonders for it, but the aging process was working against the heavier bracing used during that period.

I'd buy a '66 J-45 on spec; a '69 I'd have to play first.

David

Archived