Gibson Brands Forums

Nice scratch remover....

onewilyfool

Guys, a luthier friend of mine recommended a neat little product to me....Novus #2 (fine scratch remover). I had some finger nail scrateches near the soundhole, and tried this product and was very pleased. It is all my Luthier Freind uses. I got it at a local store TAP plastics, maybe this store is only in California.....try it out....

Yes, Scratch X was specifically mentioned, as were a couple of their other products. Here's the link to the post on the UMGF. Apparently, they recently changed the formula without notifying anyone that they were doing so. If you read the posts in this link, you'll see that it's really caused a problem for one guy.

http://p072.ezboard.com/ftheunofficialmartinguitarforumfrm2.showMessage?topicID=15625.topic

I,m not sure why, but scratches on my guitar don,t bother me. I like them polished, but consider the scratches as 'playing patina'...

I went to a car show last year and saw a perfect 1957 Thunderbird in fully restored condition - perfect from head to toe. I asked the owner, who happened to be there that Saturday, if he liked driving the car. He looked at me like I had just made out with his little sister. Drive it? No, he had owned it for three years and it was a trailer queen going from show to show.

For me - a car is something you drive and a guitar is something you play. I don't suggest that people wear the finish off their banner logo 40s Gibson by using their quarters as picks - but come on -- it's a guitar -- you know, like they use for music?

For me, the whole downside to a Gibson acoustic is that they are so amazingly pretty. I feel ugly next to my AJ and I polish it every week. My Martins get around like the village bike - polished on birthdays or for daylight gigs.

Sign me up for the patina list please.

• 1 month later...

There is one I've tried one from www.GuitarScratchRemover.com that is absolutely amazing. It took scratches out of all of my guitars and didn't make new ones. Even on my black SG it lifted scratches and improved the shine. Some of the other products I've tried including MacGuire's aren't even close to whatever is in this polish. As for Scratch X I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

Guys' date=' a luthier friend of mine recommended a neat little product to me....Novus #2 (fine scratch remover). I had some finger nail scrateches near the soundhole, and tried this product and was very pleased. It is all my Luthier Freind uses. I got it at a local store TAP plastics, maybe this store is only in California.....try it out....[/quote']

I've used Novus products for your on plastic parts and great success. Mostly on the Hard Luggage bags of Motorcycles I owned. They even have work on acrylic windshields which if you've ever ridden a motorcle at night with oncoming headlights at you, those swirl marks make the screen a curtain.

There is one I've tried one from www.GuitarScratchRemover.com that is absolutely amazing. It took scratches out of all of my guitars and didn't make new ones. Even on my black SG it lifted scratches and improved the shine. Some of the other products I've tried including MacGuire's aren't even close to whatever is in this polish. As for Scratch X I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

Sctratch X actually will take a surfcae down some, it's not a filler of sorts. Be very careful it it use it. I used it to buff out my Martin 000-15S and it worked great for getting out the factory goop and giving a sheen wothout hurting the wood. But again, use with caution and start in a non-conspicuous area...

Thanks for the link above, I'll have to check that out too...

Like has been said on this forum before, you have to watch the Scratch X, as the stuff they're now selling contains silicone. As I understand it, the prior formula didn't, so it depends when you bought your Scratch X. It did do a good job on your Martin, though.

Yep, good point to heed. I did purchase it a long time ago (over 2 years +/-) and had it for a little while before I put it to use on my 000-15S. To be honest, I don't know if the bittle I had has the Silicone in it or not. And I got tossed out with some cleaning at the end of last summer, so I cant even check. But the guitar didn't suffer from any ill effects apparently.

I've had my Scratch X over two years too' date=' but for the few touch ups I actually do, it should last quite a while. I'm to the point where I get nervous about using anything anymore. [/quote']

Yes, better safe than sorry. And for regular cleaning, most manufacturers only recommend a mildly damp warm clean cotton cloth to wipe most finishes down (albiet not bare wood).

Yes' date=' better safe than sorry. And for regular cleaning, most manufacturers only recommend a mildly damp warm clean cotton cloth to wipe most finishes down (albiet not bare wood).[/quote']

Yep. I also noticed on the website link in this thread where they specifically made mention that their product was not endorsed by major guitar manufacturers, including Gibson.

Yep. I also noticed on the website link in this thread where they specifically made mention that their product was not endorsed by major guitar manufacturers' date=' including Gibson. [/quote']

That's their way of saying when your guitar's wood starts to simmer and smoke, please don't call us... LOL!

Archived