Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Polish, Scratch Remover, Bondo....

Hoss

Am I the only person on this board who's never used any of the above? (Does spit polishing count? That's about it for Ol Hoss' 'guitar beautification' program.)

OK-- I'm joking about the Bondo-- How can you have grown up in New England and not used Bondo?

Honestly, I had a set of strings on my old Martin for 20+ years.. It was about 1980 to 2002, near as I can figure. (I am blessed with dry fingerpads--strings last forever. Current sets have been on for at least one year on each guitar--and over 3 on another.)

But really, do you folks polish your guitars every night or what? Don't you have Television sets or handguns?

Hoss, Hoss, Hoss..... next year when you come out of them backwoods to get yourself a bag of flour and a box of salt you need to get yourself a bottle of guitar polish and new set of strings. From the looks of that old rusty pistol in your pic, you might try something other than mud to lubricate the cylinder with too.....

Don't you have Television sets or handguns?

Yep, used to have one of them thar fancy, dancy, TV setty thingies. Me and the misses were a watchin' Gunsmoke one night and I thought they were shootin' at me. Now my fancy, dancy TV has a big ol hole in it. Can't get it to work now. Go figure!!

Yeah,, I know. That Pistol ain't much to look at. It was mostly for varmits, but then they told me I couldn't even shoot it where we live now, in the city limits. And my throwing days are over, so there you have it. The Racoons are going to take over this place.

But really, who spends valuable picking time shining their guitars? If Mrs. Hoss caught me with a bottle of shine juice or a polish rag in my hand, she would find something for me to do faster than a duck can hit a junebug.

I keep mine fairly well shined up.... don't polish a lot any more - wipe 'em down with a damp cloth pretty often though. Polish 'em up a few times a year.

Who wouldn't? I polish my boots ever now and then and they cost a lot less than my gits. I wash my truck ever now and then... heck I even wash off my old dog John R ever now and then in the summertime to keep him from stinking...

I think more of my gits than any of them things... well except maybe for John R. He's a one man possum population control unit and that's a good thing to have around.

"He's a one man possum population control unit and that's a good thing to have around."

Mind if I borrow your dog for a while? We had a Irish Terrier here for a week- a houseguest while his folks were traveling- and the Possums and Coons quickly decided to vacate the premises.

Guest NattyBumppo

I only actually use a "polish" a couple times a year. My usual guitar wipe down is just a soft cloth, usually a micro-fiber cloth, spritzed with distilled water.

Mind if I borrow your dog for a while?

Anytime Hoss. We can work out an arrangement that pays by the hour or by the possum, either way you want to do it, so long as the tender for services involves the loan of some nice archtop Gibson...

Archived