Gibson Brands Forums

The Studio club

jrseriel

Thought I had posted this in this thread for Studio's...so here goes going to try again...

Well I haven't posted any pics yet so I thought I'd give it a try. I recently got back into guitars end of last year and a cousin of mine that plays had two Les Paul Studios, a black 93 with Gold Hardware and ebony fretboard, and a 2008 Fireburst with gold hardware he was selling (the 08 is still for sale). Well, I never did any research prior to buying the 93 from him, but I had always wanted a Les Paul back in the late 70s when I bought my second guitar then new, an Ibanez Iceman. I had always liked the look, the feel and the sound of a Gibson Les Paul. Well, needless to say when I went to see him and had the 93 & the 08 in my hands first thing I noticed was the difference in weight...wow! Then the next thing I noticed was the difference in tone between the two. At any rate they both felt good in as far as low fast action. The deciding factor for me was the "punch" that the 93 had, the sustain for days, and the sound/tone that was amazing. Then I did a lot of research and realized that the early 90s Studios were some of the most sought after Les Pauls made. I also found out about the difference between weight relief and chambered and the difference it makes, or at least to me. Now granted I had gotten away from guitars from early 80s to early 00's when I got my Son a Epi SG in hopes he would want to learn. Fast forward to end of last year, November when my Brother-in-Law gave me a Squire Telecaster. At first I was like what a waste, but the bug bit me hard and I couldn't put it down despite all its flaws. So, then my cousin just happened to be selling these both and I nailed the 93 and the rest is history. I do find it amazing all the people that shun the Studio as if it wasn't a "real" Les Paul...ignorance is bliss is all I can say cause I'd put this 93 up against any other Les Paul and wouldn't think twice about it. And to be honest a few might leave with their heads shaking in unbelief. So, I will quit rambling on and try to post some pics for all to view. I will say though I can see this leading to more guitars in the future for me as well but for now I am perfectly content.

So here she is...some dings here and there, gold hardware wearing down. I am getting ready to clean frets, fretboard and condition it in a few days. Only thing that drives me insane about this ebony color IS, cloudy smudges where my arm touches the body that naptha won't remove. There has to be some type of polish made for nitro finishes that a light buffing will remove this and the swirls. I use Gibson pump polish, tried a few others seems to be what I like the best. I have been replacing some of the gold hardware with new Gibson hardware. I know some say leave it...I am just anal that way. I also put a new pickguard on, a Custom one that I kinda like as the truss rod cover has white edges on it so I gave it a shot...still undecided on it right now. Eventually when I decided to do it, gonna change out the pickup covers, I am gonna do something about polishing the swirl marks and smudges out, and change out the bridge and tailpiece with new hardware as well. So that's my plan. She will be part of my collection cause they don't make'em like this one anymore if ya ask me.

What she looked like when I got her home. Perfect just the way she is...but surely I am not the only one who can't leave things alone [tongue]

securedownload-94_zpsb04201ee.jpeg

After installing the Custom pickguard and polishing her up a bit. New pickguard & jack plate gold hardware installed.

93LPStudiowithCustomPickguard_zps01a28462.jpg

Where she resides when not in my hands...

93LPStudioinHSC_zps0337ae17.jpg

And a new Truss Rod Cover as well

93LPStudioHeadstockwithNewTrussRodPlate_zpse3986767.jpg

It's the 2014 in Ebony "vintage gloss." I wanted a better paint job so I had it professionally covered in gloss black. Then I got these vol/tone knobs and pickguard from a custom. I love this one more than my Standard Traditional Pro and will play it for the rest of my life. I absolutely LOVE the 490's, maybe even better than the 57 Classics I have in my SG. With the coil splitting, I am very impressed and can get some "stratty" tones, whenever I need to (probably seldom).

I have separation anxieties when I'm away from it.... :)

post-61468-044401600 1392151424_thumb.jpg

It's the 2014 in Ebony "vintage gloss." I wanted a better paint job so I had it professionally covered in gloss black. Then I got these vol/tone knobs and pickguard from a custom. I love this one more than my Standard Traditional Pro and will play it for the rest of my life. I absolutely LOVE the 490's, maybe even better than the 57 Classics I have in my SG. With the coil splitting, I am very impressed and can get some "stratty" tones, whenever I need to (probably seldom).

Wow that is beautiful... Does it take a great deal of work to keep it that shiny?

Absolutely looks outstanding...of course I am partial to black [thumbup]! I will say I like the Custom pickguard as well:rolleyes: so much I put one on my 93 Ebony Studio.

Bought my first electric LP studio. What a great piece of art.

Any help for the best in house amp . I heard Fender Blue Junior was good for the price,

Exactly as others have stated, try several and see what you like. Personally I like Marshall. The smaller MG 15/30 CFX series are in my opinion offer a lot of punch and effects for a small cost, and although small you can get that Marshall sound. But that is just me but an option to explorer. You gotta be happy with what you get.

• 2 weeks later...

The Highway 1 Fender strat is one of the best I've had and it's American made.

Of course, the American Standard Stratocaster is a recommendation. The American Special Stratocasters are great, too. They're a little bit cheaper in price than the American Standards are. Also, I agree with MEEKS on the Highway 1's. Those are great, too. The Stevie Ray Vaughan Strats are great, too. Also, if you can find a used 50th Anniversary Strat, I highly recommend those. I have two 50th Anniversaries. One U.S.A made and one Mexican made and I love them both. Don't discount the Mexican Fender stuff because the Mexican Fender's are GREAT, too. I just got another Mexican Stratocaster today, so I have two Mexican Fender's now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is my 2nd Studio this year. I had a 2013 that I was very pleased with, but when I played the new 2014 model I liked it better, even though it's slightly lower spec' guitar and doesn't come with a case. I have a Gator ABS case on the way to me as we speak. Perfectly set up out of the box, and the fit and finish is very impressive. Here it is in Brilliant Red Burst.....

24v8sw7.jpg

zybmea.jpg

She's a beauty, mystique1!! Here is a pic of my ladies...my Les Paul keeps attracting new 'friends!'

2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio w/Min-Etune

2012 Fender American Standard Telecaster

2012 Breedlove D25/sre

2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ -500ME

2000 Seagull S6

post-61610-090144400 1396736252_thumb.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

My First Les Paul (and first post in this forum) [smile]

2012 Les Paul Studio Nitrous Orange Glow (or Vibrant Red - i'm not sure)

I bought this used on Craigslist and it is in flawless, unused condition. I love it and cannot stop staring at it!

13987413672_9652dfb865_h.jpg

13987414132_acc85f2f8e_h.jpg

13990626355_cc3c80b156_h.jpg

My First Les Paul (and first post in this forum) [smile]

2012 Les Paul Studio Nitrous Orange Glow (or Vibrant Red - i'm not sure)

I bought this used on Craigslist and it is in flawless, unused condition. I love it and cannot stop staring at it!

I almost bought one of these nitro's when MF put them on the stuid deal of the day. Very cool guitars!

13987413672_9652dfb865_h.jpg

13987414132_acc85f2f8e_h.jpg

13990626355_cc3c80b156_h.jpg