Gibson Brands Forums

Check out my new L-00

Gutch220

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/Gutch220/GibsonL003.png

Hey, I found an old L-00 in my friends attic while he was moving out. He doesn't play guitar and was going to get rid of it, but I told him I'd take it and fix it up. So I had the bridge replaced since the original was being pulled off slightly, fret dressing and set-up. There are no cracks or anything like that. Just some lacquer checking and cosmetic marks that I think gives it "character". All the interior bracing is original and nice and tight. The only non-original items are the bridge and one of the tuning pegs which looks like it was replaced decades ago. What things can you tell me about this guitar specifically. It seems that there are only a handful of sites with info on the old Gibson acoustics (L-1, L-00, L-0). Also, what would be the approximate value of this guitar (good condition, not mint by any means, replaced bridge, one replaced tuning peg)? I never plan on selling it but it's good to know just in case. Discuss....

GibsonL003.png

Sweet! The L-00 is my favorite flattop.

Looks like you've got a 1933 -35 L-00. The burst is small, and you've got black bridge pins with an unbound back.

I'd say your guitar is in the $ 2750 - 3500 range.

Nice Find!

Very Sweet find! It looks to be in very nice condition. What type of strings have you used and how does she sound?...RRod

The picture makes it look like it's in nicer condition than it is. As I've said' date=' there are lots of cosmetic blemishes that come with a guitar thats 75 years old such as checking, some scratches, playing wear-and-tear, etc...but nothing structuraly wrong. I'm not sure of the strings that are on there now as the guy who did the bridge repair put them on. I don't really like them so I'm going to put on the strings I've been using for years on all my acoustics, these:

[img']http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/5/1/0/429510.jpg[/img]

The guitar sounds really good, it doesn't have the sound projection or bass of a dreadnought but it has that old Lo-Fi blues sound you kinda hear in Robert Johnson recordings. I will be able to judge better once I replace the strings.

What strings do you guys use/recommend?

I would recommend you use light gauge rather than extra lights. (I actually use mediums on my L-00.) But start with lights and see what you think. And also, try an 80/20 bronze. These guitars have a lot of tone, but using phospher bronze strings will leave a lot of that tone on the table, IMO.

I would recommend you use light gauge rather than extra lights. (I actually use mediums on my L-00.) But start with lights and see what you think. And also' date=' try an 80/20 bronze. These guitars have a lot of tone, but using phospher bronze strings will leave a lot of that tone on the table, IMO.

[/quote']

80/20 Bronze and whats the "20"?

Which specific brand do you like?

Gutch-

I couldn't tell you what brand I'd like on your guitar. .. I use different brands on my guitars- it depends on what the guitars tonal character tends to be, and what kind of music you like to play on that guitar.

Have fun with it. Slap some on for a month or two, then try something else.

Then again, after they've been on for over a year, I'm not certain it matters that much!!](*,)

Gutch-I just put some 80/20 bronze strings on my J-45 'hog and I love 'em. First time I'd tried 80/20's. They are Elixer nonoweb lights. 12-53. I just read that Emmylou Harris uses D'Angelico 80/20 bronze mediums so now I'm going to have to switch to those! lol. Strings are fun' date=' try a bunch.[/size']

Gutch--

I strongly recommend light gauge (rather than medium). These are very lightly built guitars, so you may be taking a chance by putting the extra tension on the top and neck.

Actually, I once bought an L-00 from a pretty well-known bluegrass musician who'd kept it strung with mediums. When I replaced those strings with light gauge, I could hardly believe how much better it sounded. That guitar came alive!

I tend to use Elixir bronze (80/20?) on my vintage Gibsons. But another good choice is John Pearse 80/20. Less expensive and quite good-sounding. The Elixirs last a lot longer before going dead, though.

--John

I'll second John's Response... I DO have mediums on most of my guitars, but only the ones that are up to it. And old Gibsons can vary. I've seen some that would have no problem with medium gauge strings, and a few others with tops that seemed to be made out of paper. (One Nick Lucas comes to mind.) You might ask your repair guy what he thinks, since he just went through it and looked over the braces.

Howdy!

That is a great find; congratulations. There is a very informative thread on the L-00 currently active at the UMGF forum, in the Vintage corner.

Judging by many I've seen, I would call your sunburst "medium" size, which would make yours a 1936 L-00. If you check your neck block (inside) you'll probably find a Factory Order Number. Might have 3 or 4 digits, possibly accompanied by a letter and/or a hand-written number in red. Does your fretboard above the 14th fret attach to the body or ride above it?

Some of the UMGFers are cataloging these and other details, hoping to establish a more accurate dating system than now currently exists.

I have a L-00, black, white pickguard, elevated fingerboard, FON 478, and it's probably a 1933. I've been using D'Addario EJ-16, but have been thinking of trying 80/20s. (Lights!- 12-54) I kind of like the Martin Marquis for the silk wrapping on the ends. I tune mine down a whole step and it really sings. It's one of my all-time favorite guitars. Vintage Guitar Price Guide for 2008 lists the '32-'39 L-00 in exc. condition at $3200-$4400, for what it's worth.

Good luck, and enjoy your treasure.

Doug

^ wouldn't a "1936 guitar have a "B" in front of the serial number? Or some other letter. Mine has no such letter in the serial number. Just a 4-digit stamped number with a 3-digit hand-written number written in red below that. Which one is the serial number and which is the FON?

The fretboard is on the body, it's not one of those raised fretboards. I wouldn't call mine excellent condition since I don't know the criteria but I'd say it's in "good" condition and mostly original (minus the bridge and one tuner)

I bought some of these strings today

366292.jpg

can you give a link to that cataloging thread....

the new strings really make a big difference. I'm always paranoid while tightening up strings on old acoustic though. I was waiting for the top of the guitar to rip off. I put a couple drops of lubricant oil in the tuning gears to make it smoother.

I love these old Gibson's. Great find, congratulations. I'd second (or is it third) the recommendation to put something on there other than extra lights though. 12/54's would really bring out the tone in that puppy. And, since the braces are in good condition, the top should be able to handle it with ease. At least try 11's. These old gits are much tougher than you might think.

Archived