Gibson Brands Forums

Sell Them. Sell Them All.

Hoss

What in the world is going on out there? In the last few weeks, the local Craigslist has just exploded with Gibson acoustics. (Tho in truth, I only search for Gibsons in the buy/sell) This afer practically nothing for a year. Just recently-

- A Nick Lucas Custom Shop Special - maple/adi

-Montana Gold J200

- Banner head J-45 in PRISTINE condition

- A J100

- several AJs

- A banner LG2

- and someone who thinks their SJ is worth $3000

- Many others I haven't noted, as well as countless number of electrics.

Is this bump in used gear offerings a result of the consumer debt fiasco that's ripping through the country, or is it truely the last wave of Ronald Reagan's machiavellian 'trickle down' financial scheme designed to benefit all of us Gibson loving guys and gals? Anyone else seeing a lot of activity in their local buy and sell pages?

Or, due to personal finances, Is anyone here thinking about selling a guitar in the near future?

I buy and sell acoustics regularly and there has indeed been a steady increase in availability in the past ten years of older Gibson acoustics.

The two factors I have noted for this apparent abundance in supply are higher values and the commonality of decent computer skills.

If you asked twenty people to advertise their instrument online in 1998 - maybe 2 could make it happen. Today, it is likely that 15 could figure it out. Values have been steadily increasing over the past ten years in reasonable average annual increments - so I also believe where it was not perhaps of interest to part with dad's old guitar for $700 it might be more interesting now that it could net $1500.

I remember in the 1980s every kid wanted to learn saxophone. Today you can buy them for dimes on the dollar. I believe another factor is older people buying quality instruments and then failing to learn how to play.

The economic conditions you mentioned are likely contributors to overall availability as well, but I suspect the ease of online advertising is bringing guitars into focus that might have been sold in the paper or through a local trade rag as near as five years ago, and thus flown under the Craiglist radar.

Hoss,

We don't see a lot in the DC area. I wish there was more. Recently inquired about a banner lg-2 listed on craigslist, only to find that it was the typical scam: "I'm out of the country on business and I have selling service handling the sale...." Most of the real stuff I see is due to GAS.

Archived