Gibson Brands Forums

Curious about quilted mahogany on a Custom J-45

gibtex5

I've been looking at different J-45s on ebay, and this one caught my eye:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330218163658&indexURL=0#ebayphotohosting

Does anyone here have any experience with this type of wood on a J-45 custom? I just couldn't find anything about it anywhere. Looks lovely, but I'm curious about the sound vs. rosewood.

Thanks!

I had one for almost a year. Played and sounded great! Lots of forums members have seen and played it as well. But I sold mine for $1750. Same guitar.

Oh well. You weren't around when I needed you! lol

Thanks for the feedback though.

I have no experience with a quilted Mohogany J45, but I do own a quilted Mohogany Martin D18AG, and I would feel that there would be a lot of difference in a J45 Rosewood and any type Mohogany J45.

To my ear Rosewood has more overtones, vs. Mohogany, which is a more direct tone.

I would think the Red Spruce top would be the real sound difference when compareing this quilted J45 to a standard Mohogany J45 with a Sitka Spruce top.

To my ear, my Quilted Mohogany Martin D18, sounds just like a Martin D18V, which features the same braceing and standard Honduran Mohogany. Its just real nice eye candy which does add to the uniqueness and price.

That is one good looking quilted J45!

Dale.

I saw and heard the one that nid2007 had. It sounded great. I've also played a new one at my local guitar shop. I liked it a lot. He may still have it and if so, I'm sure he can do a lot better on the price than the one on E-bay. It was at Guitars Etc. in Longmont, Colorado. It might be worth giving Todd or Tim a call and see if they still have it.

http://www.guitarsetc.net/

Thanks for the input. I found another store as well up in Canada that also has one listed for sale. The ebay price does seem high, but then again there were supposedly only 24 made, so I've got to believe this one is going to increase in value.

But it's going to be played, I'm not one of those people who buys a guitar just for an investment.

Yall have a nice board here. I really miss having a Gibson. I had a 1963 J-45 for years that I was keeping safe for a friend who had a bad drug problem, just so he wouldn't sell it. That guitar had the most amazing neck I've ever had on an acoustic - thin, fast and solid. Cosmetically it was a mess, although I did love the red sunburst.

Unfortunately my friend passed on last year, and that guitar has been on my mind lately. I have a Taylor and a custom OM sized guitar by a California luthier named Yamamoto, but I really miss having a J-45. They are just so solid and right for how I play. The early 60s ones are getting astronomical in price, so I'm considering one of the newer models.

Anyone who knows and loves the early 60s J-45s - I'd love some input. Thanks!

Thanks for the input. I found another store as well up in Canada that also has one listed for sale. The ebay price does seem high' date=' but then again there were supposedly only 24 made, so I've got to believe this one is going to increase in value.

But it's going to be played, I'm not one of those people who buys a guitar just for an investment.

Yall have a nice board here. I really miss having a Gibson. I had a 1963 J-45 for years that I was keeping safe for a friend who had a bad drug problem, just so he wouldn't sell it. That guitar had the most amazing neck I've ever had on an acoustic - thin, fast and solid. Cosmetically it was a mess, although I did love the red sunburst.

Unfortunately my friend passed on last year, and that guitar has been on my mind lately. I have a Taylor and a custom OM sized guitar by a California luthier named Yamamoto, but I really miss having a J-45. They are just so solid and right for how I play. The early 60s ones are getting astronomical in price, so I'm considering one of the newer models.

Anyone who knows and loves the early 60s J-45s - I'd love some input. Thanks![/quote']

Swetwater has reissue '60s J-45s on sale for $1699 recently. Musician's Friend/Music 123 and Fuller's Vintage aslo have versions for about $2200.

Well the expensive ebay model sold, but based on the input I got here, I'm not losing sleep over it. I've emailed guitars etc. and am going to call the store in Canada. I'm also shopping around here in Austin to see how the newer reissue models feel.

I checked with Guitars Etc. and they already sold the one they had.

Yes, I talked to them. And the store is Canada is selling theirs for $2999, which is even more! So it looks like I may have lost my opportunity for now. Ah well.

Archived