Gibson Brands Forums

Trouble Tuning Down

noahclem

Hi everyone,

I have a newish Advanced Jumbo and I generally love it. I just recently have been trying to keep it tuned down a whole step so I could learn some Lightning Hopkins. I sort of expected some slackness in the tuning (and it helps for the Lightning sound), but I have had horrible trouble trying to keep it in tune. I have been using Mediums.

Is this a problem with the tuners or the tuning? Lightning certainly used Gibsons (and even lower tension ones than the AJ), as does Ernie Hawkins who teaches the Lightning style in a dvd (and youtube). Any advice out there?

Thanks.

Noahclem,

It is most likely a problem with the nut/slots. The guitar was probably 'set-up' from the factory for light strings. since you are using mediums (larger diameter)....the strings are probably binding in the grooves of the nut. Working on the nut requires some specialized files.

You may want to take it to a good guitar repairman and have the guitar properly set-up for medium strings. It is my experience(however limited) that new guitars(Gibson and otherwise) are sold with a minimal set-up.....and should be fine-tuned to the owners preference after the purchase...RRod

Thanks for the replies. It's probably the lack of setup - I bought the guitar in late December and though the Guitar Center salesman offered a free setup, I wanted it to settle in to mediums first. I had left it tuned down for a while, but just couldn't get it to stay in tune. Maybe it's time to get that setup (although it keeps its tuning at standard pitch like a champ).

I am really excited about exploring whole step down - seems silly, but I am looking forward to cheating on those G and C rags they try to intimidate us newbies with at the acoustic blues jam!! :-D

Archived