Gibson Brands Forums

Tenor Banjo ID

Can anyone out there give me any detailed info on this tenor banjo. When I bought it I was told it was made sometime during the late 20's or early 30's. I bought it to plunk around on after realizing my right hand was never going to play Scuggs-like on a 5-string a friend had given me. The tenor (versus plectrum) was recommended to me by the great jazz guitarist Bucky Pizzarelli, and who's gonna argue with a legend like Bucky. Having an affinity for Gibson instruments, I was able to pick this one at a fairly reasonable price, and have had a lot of fun learning to play it.

2324641782_71f5e9e1b7_o.jpg

Printed logo, not an inlay

2323820977_b313f78223_o.jpg

2324640720_4ea7d0972b_o.jpg

Grover "PAT" Tuning machines

2323820185_c7d0209eaf_o.jpg

Single Coordinator rod and inside label

2324640900_1f453276c5_o.jpg

Guts and serial number. Serial number appears in three places, die stamped on inside of tone ring, chalk written and hand painted on inside of resonator.

2323819943_bc6d5ced18_o.jpg

Anybody got any info on this one?

Kev,

Thanks for the info and the links, which would make it a '32 TB-1. It's in great condition for it's age and has a loud booming sound, and wonderful biting tone. For being a guitar player looking for a banjo to strum around on, I think I got pretty lucky to find this one.

Other than strumming around on it at home, I used this instrument on one recording session (and perform the same song on it in concert). It's a version of Loudon Wainwright III's "Dead Skunk".

Here's a link to a mp3 from a guitarist website I write for. Scroll down this page and you'll find the mp3 player, and click on "Dead Skunk". There's also a 5-string finger pickin' banjo track on this tune, but that's not me or the TB-1. The strummin' rhythm track is the '32 TB-1 in front of a Shure SM-81 condensor mic. In fact, all the tracks were mic'd acoustic instuments.

http://www.stringdancer.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=viewnews&id=156

great playing and sounded fun, I really respect guitar players that play banjo also. I can hold my own with a mandolin but skill just isn't there for Banjo. when I need one for recording I cheated and picked up a six string guitar tuned banjo so I didn't need to learn any other chording or notes:-s

edit - great looking instrument which is what I meant to say first wish I could look that good at that age.

Archived