Gibson Brands Forums

GA-5 Les Paul Junior

Krusty

Let's get the amp discussions started, shall we?

I have a 2004 GA-5 that I picked up on a smokin' deal at GC about 18 months ago. I can't believe I never bought one sooner. How many of you have one? A guitar plugged straight into this amp makes for an incredible sound. This amp can make the most 3D-sounding tone out of a teeny little 8-inch speaker, and it truly does bring out the nuances and personality of every guitar that's played through it. And the great thing is that you can get some very creamy distorted tones without shattering your windows at home!

Obviously it can't hold up in a band environment very well, but it's got to be one of the better small home amps.

Any thoughts?

Pat

• 1 month later...

That's a good writeup that I've never seen before. And considering that the online shops are blowing out these amps for $299 (folks, that's a STEAL), and also looking at the attention that this amp has gotten on the new forum already, word is starting to spread just as they're possibly killing off the model!

I thought I'd resurrect my old thread here (yes, it's an ego thing, I suppose :) ). One thing I'll pass along to those of you who are picking one up now: be aware that it can take some time for the bottom end to emerge with this amp; just like any other amp. The low end was a little weak at first, likely because of the 8" speaker, but after a few hours it began to emerge. Throw a mic in front of it and you'll be amazed at how good it sounds recorded.

Pat

I have one ... been wanting one for quite a while, but when MF put 'em on sale, I jumped on it! When I plugged it into a 2x12 THD cab, the thing sounded HUGE ... Although the 8" speaker sounds good by itself. Five watts can get pretty loud ... especially in a small room.

Archived