Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Vs Martin HD28 - on youtube

Im sure its fine

I wish it would have said if it was a mahogany or rosewood J-45. I'm guessing it was mahogany and if so, I'm not sure of the point. It's comparing two completely different guitars. They both sounded good. I know there are some days when I prefer my Gibsons and some days when I prefer my HD28.

comparing those two is not really a fair play . different wood ' date='size and scale. BUT the two models are the

most popular inst. that gibson and martin make.

alot of falks that are on the hunt for a good acoustic would try one of 'em.

so this video's got a point in some way :-({|=

[/quote']

OK, I agree. By the way, welcome to the forum.

ok its time to say that this is my video. its a mahagony j-45 with cleartone strings and EXP on the martin. (both new)

the martin sounds like a royal guitar . sometimes the guitar over powers you . its a real joy to play but when ever I pick up that J-45 I feel like I wanna play for hours . that vintage back porch sound gives you an instant smile factor. I'm so inlove with the J-45 and its compact body and short scale!! to me its the sweetest gibson guitar on production line. there is also a video of me playing bluegrass on that J45 on gibsons facebook page. its kindda nice they are using it :-k

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gibson-Guitars/6057249265?ref=mf

That's what I'm talkin' about "I'm Sure It's Fine"!! That's some nice Bluegrass Pickin' and reminds me why I love my J-45. I like the way you slowed it way down so we could see what you were doing with your fingers. lol !!Great job.#-o

Guest NattyBumppo

I'm selling all my guitars. I'm such an amatuer.

MAN!!!!! That was some kick arse pickin'. Sounds fantastic, thanks for sharing it.

I own an AJ and an HD-28V. I find it odd that anyone would "compare" these two guitars in this way.

The HD-28V is a guitar I use for flat picking and playing leads when recording. The AJ is my strummer and finger style folk music guitar and I have a Martin OM-21 for straight fingerstyle. They are distinct, individual instruments. I only have two hands - so I would only own one guitar if it could do everything.

Any D-28 has a lot of presence - too much for a singer in many respects. A J45 is the kind of guitar you can marry and share a 50th anniversary with - even if you change playing styles and techniques a dozen times. I pick up my D-28 with specific intentions - I play my AJ (to me a fancy J45) when I want to enjoy playing guitar.

I really don't like seeing these guitars "compared." I hate to be cliche - but this is apples and oranges to me.

I actually find the comparisons entertaining and enlightening. As one who currently has "only" (ha!) Gibsons, I am considering the purchase of my first Martin; an HD-28 VS 12 Fret; and I'd LOVE to read folk's opinions on the difference between that and my Roy Smeck Radio Grande (beyond the dollars!). A video comparing the two would be fantastic! Especially since the nearest version of the Martin I'm considering is 1500 mi. away. So, compare away! It's fun! And educational! If you"really don't like seeing these guitars compared" and you find it "odd", skip the thread and spare the rest of us your omniscience and flimsy criticism. Not trying to pick a fight here, it's just that we've danced this dance before and it's boring when someone can't learn the steps. javascript:insertsmiley('](*,)%20','/images/emoticons/eusa_wall.gif')

I understand the "apples and oranges" thing and if, in comparing these two guitars, someone were to say one is better than the other, I wouldn't go along with the comparison. I do like to hear different guitars and what they sound like as I just don't get to do that as often as I'd like. I look at it more as a demonstration and find the differences in sound to be quite interesting. I'd like to see a site where one had a large variety of acoustics to click on just to hear their unique sounds. Also, I love my J-45!

I own an AJ and an HD-28V. I find it odd that anyone would "compare" these two guitars in this way.

The HD-28V is a guitar I use for flat picking and playing leads when recording. The AJ is my strummer and finger style folk music guitar and I have a Martin OM-21 for straight fingerstyle. They are distinct' date=' individual instruments. I only have two hands - so I would only own one guitar if it could do everything.

Any D-28 has a lot of presence - too much for a singer in many respects. A J45 is the kind of guitar you can marry and share a 50th anniversary with - even if you change playing styles and techniques a dozen times. I pick up my D-28 with specific intentions - I play my AJ (to me a fancy J45) when I want to enjoy playing guitar.

I really don't like seeing these guitars "compared." I hate to be cliche - but this is apples and oranges to me.[/quote']

most of us compare guitars when they wanna buy one. [-X 2 big models by 2 big names.

if someones got money for one (not for ten) its actualy a nice idea. maybe you're just angry that my j45 sound better than your AJ. :) :) just kidding man. thanks for the reply

Wonderful vid!!

The Martin sounds great, as does the J45.

I know it's all down to the ear of the beholder, but I found it very hard to pick a favourite out of the two-they're two guitars that you really couldn't go wrong with, if you see what I mean :-)

It's the J45 by a nose for me though.

I was always an exclusively Gibson player, but I've recently picked up a Vintage Series Martin OM18V and it's a truly, truly marvellous guitar. Huge V neck, wide fingerboard, big open tone which purrs for strumming and chimes like silky bells for fingerstyle. It looks great too, lovely dark Sitka top and that vibey tortoiseshell binding.

It is an utterly different beast to my SJ200 though-The Martin has a more "refined" feel and tone to it, but a lot of the time I'm not too hung up on refinement and I want to grab the SJ200 for some serious clang, boom and steam, to quote Tom Waits.

Isn't it nice to have a variation, though?

I hear two very different sounds with those guitars, but both shine in their own right. Flatpicking the Martin creates a well-grounded foundation, it doesn't really go anywhere but it creates a beautiful solid foundation for a song. Flatpicking the Gibson seems to almost 'take flight'. It depends on where you want the music to go, I guess. Both have different values. I would choose the J45 because I love how the music kind of 'lifts off the ground', so to speak. I'm guessing my description isn't making much sense to anyone except me LOL

Hey, Lefty Guy. I'm here in the UK too and I love my 2007 J45 more than any guitar I've ever owned - and, having played for some 45 years, that's a few. Your picture partly explains why, too. That lovely gibson looks so compact - its the big warm guitar that feels like a small warm guitar to me. Whatever - this is tue love!

Rogert

Hey, Lefty Guy. I'm here in the UK too and I love my 2007 J45 more than any guitar I've ever owned - and, having played for some 45 years, that's a few. Your picture partly explains why, too. That lovely gibson looks so compact - its the big warm guitar that feels like a small warm guitar to me. Whatever - this is tue love!

Roger

most of us compare guitars when they wanna buy one. :) 2 big models by 2 big names.

if someones got money for one (not for ten) its actualy a nice idea. maybe you're just angry that my j45 sound better than your AJ. :) :) just kidding man. thanks for the reply

I believe the Gibson acoustic is a better purchase if a person will buy just one guitar. The Gibson is more versatile, more structurally sound, better looking (IMO), and less likely to suffer from nuance problems like wolf notes or truss rod vibrations. It also has a way more comfortable neck to play.

I think the tone of a Martin HD-28V is very appealing - that is why I bought one - but I can tell you I never reach for it unless I am recording leads or bluegrass flat picking. To do a folk song with the D-28, I have to go way down in pick weight to have any hope of attenuating the guitar to my voice - and my voice is actually loud.

This video seems to give the impression that the Martin is the bomb guitar while the Gibson is just good and I think that steers people in a negative direction. I actually kind of regret buying my HD-28V - I was blown away by the tone but really have no practical daily use for an instrument as forceful as this.

Archived