Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-120

osueric27

I have 1968 Gibson ES120. I know this was an entry level guitar, but it was given to me by my Grandfather after he passed. It actually is one of my favorite guitars to play. It sounds great by itself, but when plugged in the PUP lacks the tone I am looking for. Attached are a couple pictures.

1. I would like to replace the PUP with something that will give me a really nice bluesy tone.

2. If I replace the PUP am I destroying the value? I know I can always change it back and I don't plan on ever selling it.

Thanks for the help!

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

That a real pretty example of a ES-120.

As far as the pickup change goes, it has a single coil PU. They will never sound as fat or warm as a humbucker or a P-90.

If you alter the instrument, it will change the value to the die-hard collector types.

The historian in me says to leave it as is.

The player in me though really wants to put a P-90 on it!

Welcome to the forum!

That a real pretty example of a ES-120.

As far as the pickup change goes' date=' it has a single coil PU. They will never sound as fat or warm as a humbucker or a P-90.

If you alter the instrument, it will change the value to the die-hard collector types.

The historian in me says to leave it as is.

The player in me though really wants to put a P-90 on it!

[/quote']

I don't plan on ever selling it, but I do not want to modify. What would you think about finding a replacement pickgaurd and modify that for a P-90 and new POTS. Then I could always just switch the pickguard back to take it back to original spec.

Thoughts?

I think that would be fine if the routing under the guard for the electronics and pick-up

will permit it, and you don't have to put in new screw holes.

I've never looked under one of those, so I have no idea what it looks like under there.

Looks like a real sweet guitar though. Nice finish for it's age.

Thanks. my Grandfather took great care of it. Even though this was an entry level guitar, the playability and craftmanship are exceptional. I will take a picture of the guts and post. I think the PUP is only mounted to the plastic and all the wiring is above the wood. Not 100% sure but I think that is what I remember.

• 3 weeks later...
I just got one of these today and the pickguard got broken in shipping. Anybody know if there are replacements available?

thanks

BEERT

Welcome to the forum' date=' Beert!

Try emailing Joe Vinicow at archtop.com (click for link). If he doesn't have one, he will know whether they are available, or he might be able to fashion a replica. I've had Joe do work on one of my guitars, and I was very happy. He also can age the pickgaurd so that it doesn't look out of place on a vintage guitar.

Good luck. I suspect it may be unlikely to be a part regularly stocked in most places.

Ignatius

Welcome,

Your ES-120T looks very nice. Nice case also....! I would hesitate to modify such a nice example...But thats me! Perhaps, you could play it through an effect pedal to get the tone you are after?

Just for kicks, have you measured the output resistance of the pickup? You would do that with a multimeter set to ohms reading. Plug your cord into the jack and take the reading at the other plug. Should read about 6K ohms.

You could possibly get a 'stacked humbucker' in the same size?

All of this,,,,,food for thought....before you start hacking and drilling....RRod

Archived