Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Live

jamiecady

Hey guys,

Me and my friend are playing at a Battle of the Bands in the next month as a acoustic duo. He will be playing a acoustic-electric Martin and I my 2007 J-45. My question, this being my first time playing live acoustically, will I be fine to simply plug straight into the P.A.? I assume my friends guitar will be fine, being a acoustic electric, but will mine have any problems with feedback or anything? Sorry i dont really know much about acoustics live, but what makes my gibson not a acoustic electric?

I used to gig with my J-45 all the time. It has the standard electronics with no onboard controls and I always plugged right in to the house. I never had an issue with feedback, but I always liked to test the PA when possible. In a battle of the bands environment I expect the sound guy will be very sensitive to the different equipment.

oh no!!! do not plug directly into the PA . I have the same guitar.

you must get an Active Direct Box (a passive will not do you any good). that way you get a 48V signal insted of the 9V the battery gives you. your input will be balanced as you plug it through an XLR line insted of a PL . you'd sound ALOT ALOT ALOT better , trust me.

if you realy wanna hear that J45 great tone you should get one of those Direct boxes with a mounted preamp on them. one of the nicest ones is the PARA DI by LR Baggs. 150$ and you're in acoustic heaven

Archived