Gibson Brands Forums

Best strings for Gibson Advanced Jumbo

Taylor Player

Hi...

I am primarily a fingerstyle player and do very little strumming. Recently I have been exploring DADGAD tuning on my other guitars and plan to see how the AJ handles it soon, but I typically don't play much fingerstyle on the Gibby and end up using my Taylor or Lange OM guitars for that. I think the AJ would shine in DADGAD for my Celtic music. Typically I have been putting Elixir Med/Light Nano's on the Gibson.

What would be a good fingerstyle string for DADGAD tunings on the AJ.... any advice?

I can't say I play a lot of DADGAD, nor do I think there are strings that would be excellent in standard and not excellent in DADGAD, but having said that I always recommend John Pearse Phosphor Bronze strings - and they are exactly what I play on my AJ.

I tried Martin SPs as someone else suggested here because I buy them regularly for my Martin guitars - and while the SPs do have a high tension core that does seem to bring some good qualities out of the AJ, I find they deaden very quickly - and that is the worst thing for an AJ because the trebles stop ringing.

I would recommend, though, that you buy a set of lights and a set of Bluegrass John Pearse strings so you can steal the thicker low E from the bluegrass set. Yes, this is an expensive proposition, but I have done it several times when I was playing the low E down to D and it is exceptional.

I think the strings you have on it now would work fine for DADGAD since the low strings are mediums and the trebles lights. I mentioned in another thread that I just put a set of 80/20 bronze on my J-45 and I find they brighten it up quite a bit. I'd never used 80/20 brnz. before. They are of the Elixer Nanoweb variety and are straight lights, 12-53. I'd like to try mediums but my hands tend to cramp up nowdays so I stick to lights. I did try some like you have on yours about a year ago and thought they were nice. Strings are really a subjective thing and everyone, myself included, will be glad to give our opinion. It's best to try a few different ones and let your own ears decide. Plus, it's fun to experiment with different strings/sounds. Have a good time with it!!

Archived