Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Case Combination lock

adambo75

With the lock open...Push the tab to the left and hold it there whilst setting your combination...

Flight959

You sure it's left. You guys drive on the wrong side of the road over there. Just saying.

• 1 year later...

Locks on cases never made sense to me. You see a guy walking down the street with a guitar case and think....musician. A guy walks down the street with a guitar and you think ......thief

Yeah,it makes no sense really..i just bought an old es-295 but the person i bought it from shipped it to me in a gibson case with a combination lock.I am trying to figure how to reset since i don't know the combination.Thankfully it wasn't locked when i got it !

Yeah,it makes no sense really..i just bought an old es-295 but the person i bought it from shipped it to me in a gibson case with a combination lock.I am trying to figure how to reset since i don't know the combination.Thankfully it wasn't locked when i got it !

Let me put this another way.

Push the button to open the latch so that the opening for the latch is visible. Remove the red tab. Now, push the latch button the OPPOSITE direction which opens the latch. It may take a little more oompf to get it slid over, but push it as far the OPPOSITE direction for opening, now hold it there. Operate the thumb wheels to re-set the combo. YOu should feel a bit more resistance than when you are operating normally. MAKE SURE YOU STOP WITH THE DESIRED COMBO NUMBER LINED UP PERFECT WITH THE BUTTON, NOT HALF WAY IN BETWEEN. Release the slide button. Now, write down that number. Now you can close the case, and open the latch with the new number. Might be a good idea to release the slide button, then work the wheels to another combo BEFORE RELATCHING the latch. Now work the thumb wheels to your new combo. The thumb button should slide to the open position. This verifies you set it correctly before locking your guitar up.

Archived