Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Custom 1968 Reissue

hemply

Thanks for chiming in. I drove to Guitar Center in Toledo today, and they had one '68 reissue hanging on the wall. I gotta say, in the sea of guitars on that wall, this guitar stood out like the Holy Grail. So I checked it out. It is an '08 model, and it has the slimmer neck. I think that confirms it for me that '08 (not just '07) GC '68 reissues have the slim neck. Thanks to those of you who commented. Rock on!

yours is the GC version. right?

Yes, it is the Guitar Center exclusive model... On the COA it has an "F" after the 68 Custom; was told this is how to tell GC model from the others. I don't know for sure, but I told the sales guy it's probably most likely because it has a flame top vs. something else. He looked at me in aw.

Anyways I got it dirt cheap so am looking for another one.

This is my dream guitar, I just wish is had a deep quilted top; so that's what I am after now.

The only '68 run guitar center ever did with a 60's neck were the triburst ones from 2006 (2nd pic). Believe me, if you're not sure if your neck is a 60's, than it is a 60's. The 50's neck '68's have always been undeniably chunky. he you have the '57's which are very chunky-baseball bat feel.

a '57 Cloud 9

DSC00054.jpg

A GC '68 with the 60's neck

DSC00093.jpg

Regular '68's

DSC00094.jpg

DSC00085.jpg

Regular 'new' Customs

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

DSC01660.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's my thought. You can probably get one on eBay cheaper. Here's the pros and cons: If it's in new/mint condition, these are only fetching about $2,500 on eBay, so buying at GC would be paying a little premium (they have the overhead of a physical store). However, if you bought one off of eBay, 1) you never get to see it in person and play it first, and 2) you have to put some faith in the seller that the description is accurate - that the condition is what he says it is. This confirmation may be worth a $200 premium to you. And don't forget sales tax - you will pay it at GC, you won't on eBay. I am offering this advice on the experience of buying and selling Gibson guitars on eBay since 2001, and buying and selling 2 Gibson Les Paul Custom 1968 Reissue Tri-Bursts on eBay in the last 3 months. Hope this helps!

Let me add to my previous post - I just realized you said it was a natural finish. The $2,500 average eBay price is what I'm seeing for Tri-bursts. I believe the natural finish is worth more - you would need to do a little research - but $2,700 may not be a bad price, depending on its condition. You can check them out by doing a search on eBay - put in something like "gibson les paul custom 1968 reissue" then click on "Completed listings". I know there is a live auction right now for one with a natural finish and the Buy It Now price is $2,850. So again, tradeoff between: lower price but not being able to see it in person and play it vs. paying slightly higher price + tax but being able to see it and play it before you buy it.

Yes' date=' it is the Guitar Center exclusive model... On the COA it has an "F" after the 68 Custom; was told this is how to tell GC model from the others. I don't know for sure, but I told the sales guy it's probably most likely because it has a flame top vs. something else. He looked at me in aw.

Anyways I got it dirt cheap so am looking for another one.

This is my dream guitar, I just wish is had a deep quilted top; so that's what I am after now.[/quote']

COA with an "F" after the 68 Custom desinates it's a Figured Top. These beautiful guitars are so close to an Historic Reissue. There are only a few minor differences. Lets not foget they also have the long neck tenon like the Historic's. Regular Customs do not. I have also been told that the stop bar is the lightweight version but I cannot personally confirm this, maybe someone here can. They have the Historic aged switch tips that Gibson does not sell anywhere. I was told by Gibson that these are not considered a Reissue mainly because of the finish. Most of the guitars features are Historic. It is one of the best guitars available in the price range today.

• 3 weeks later...

great thread.

i thought id add what i could.

my buddy bought a '68 from GC in '07. i fell in love with it. so about a year later i had an opportunity to kill several birds with one stone after seeing one in a VOS vintage sort of white.

after getting my hands on it(thru the internet) i was a little disappointed in that it had not the slim GC neck that my buddy's had. it is freakin huge in comparison. i may not be able to get used to it seeing that that was a big factor in me deciding to get one after playing his.

i have a question about the finish. it is most definitely not alpine white or anything bright like that. its almost yellow. what does gibson consider this finish?

1002081748my0.jpg

aa68lpwa1024zv0.jpg

great thread.

i thought id add what i could.

my buddy bought a '68 from GC in '07. i fell in love with it. so about a year later i had an opportunity to kill several birds with one stone after seeing one in a VOS vintage sort of white.

after getting my hands on it(thru the internet) i was a little disappointed in that it had not the slim GC neck that my buddy's had. it is freakin huge in comparison. i may not be able to get used to it seeing that that was a big factor in me deciding to get one after playing his.

i have a question about the finish. it is most definitely not alpine white or anything bright like that. its almost yellow. what does gibson consider this finish?

1002081748my0.jpg

aa68lpwa1024zv0.jpg

I believe it is called Classic White, sort of a yellowish look to it. Very nice looking guitar. The first 68 Custom I tried had the 50's style (base ball) neck and after trying the GC version had to have it because of the 60's slim taper neck. There is a huge difference between them both. This was the only deciding factor between the two, all other features are identical. It is by far the best deal Gibson has to offer today.

• 10 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi to all,

I'm new to the forum, but was visiting it many times.  Somehow I think I maybe belong to this room with my '68 Custom. 🙂 Recently I upgraded it with a Bigsby, roller bridge and a tortoise pickguard. However, not sure it will stay on it for long. 

LPC 2.jpg

LPC 3.jpg