Gibson Brands Forums

Distance between the bridge and stop tailpiece.

SuperSwede

Hello all! I am very glad I discovered this forum recently due to all the great information floating around. I just had a quick question about the distance between the bridge and the stop tail piece. I am wanting to swap the stock tailpiece for a customized one and I may have to drill new holes. Any information will help. Thanks!

I actually play a Hagstrom Super Swede. Its the closest thing to a LP I can afford at the moment, but I love it to bits. I'm just not happy with the stock tailpiece, so I want to swap it. However the original holes are too small for the tailpiece I want to install.

got a soft spot in my heart for Hagstroms - still have my first electric, a Hagstrom sort if III, like a Corvette, beveled body, three pickups, no chrome rings.

Ok, anyway. Do you like to have the tailpiece screwed down tight? or do you like it raised up? If you like it raised up, then the angle is lower where the strings break over the saddles of the bridge. In that case you'd consider moving the tailpiece back a bit farther away. If you like the tailpiece screwed down tight, then make sure you keep the new one close.

I'd consider plugging and then just re-drilling for new studs the same distance from the bridge, just a new width between them. That way the plugs won't be as noticeable.

But, having said that, are you sure? How much difference is there going to be with a new tailpiece, and why are you so unhappy with the tailpiece now?

Man....

I've been looking at vintage seventies Swedes for a couple years now.

Now and then a really clean one pops up on Ebay, but always sells for more than I'm willing to bid.

Solid Mahogany, top and all.

Archived