Gibson Brands Forums

How do i connect my guitar to laptop, then to amp? any help appreciated

Hey. I have a guitar that i'd like to start recording from. I know i need a special cord to do this and an adapter err sumn. Then some other things i really don't know about. Some of these things i have no idea where to find.

I'd like to know how i can connect my guitar to my laptop

--What do i need?

--The best quality?

--How does it work/how to set up?

--suggestions

ALSO i'd like to know how to connect my guitar to my laptop and then to my amp (which is enabled with a "line-out" and cd/tape input). its a Kustom amp.

I pretty much want to play out from the amp via laptop, and i'd like to record on the laptop. I have this program that acts as guitar pedals on my computer. But i cant hook up my guitar yet because i dont have the necessary components ya see.

I have the software, but lack the hardware.

I'm not a tech geek, but i'll try my best to understand whats up with this.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

**i have windows vista pc

I recommend that you buy a Edirol UA-4FX it's an external USB audio capture device, it comes bundled with SONAR LE, and also has drivers for Win-Vista.

I use it with Reaper and with my Fender Cyber-Twin. The CT has a impedance loaded XLR-Out, that mimics a mic'd speaker. I ran a XLR cord from the CT to the UA-4FX, and monitor the audio using the headphones on the UA-4FX. It has Output jacks so that you can connect speakers if you want.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I use Guitar Tracks 3 software to mix on the computer and use my Zoom 3030 for effects. I run into the Zoom

for my guitar and then from the Zoom into the in jack on my audio card. The cord is 1/4 inch out of the Zoom

to an 1/8 inch into the audio card. I have zero latency this way. Using software effects you play and there is a delay

when you hear it. My way there is no delay.

Happy recordings

CW

• 3 months later...

I run thru the digitech RP80 into the mic or line in to the comp then run the out line to a stereo amp for the right and left. You would want a mono line out to run into a guitar amp or adapter. I use 1/4 inch to 1/8 cords and a stereo 1/8 to two RCA left and right jacks.

Effects I have seen on the computer programs have latency (delay) so they can't be used in real time just in mixing applications

Hi

I use Guitar Tracks 3 software to mix on the computer and use my Zoom 3030 for effects. I run into the Zoom

for my guitar and then from the Zoom into the in jack on my audio card. The cord is 1/4 inch out of the Zoom

to an 1/8 inch into the audio card. I have zero latency this way. Using software effects you play and there is a delay

when you hear it. My way there is no delay.

Happy recordings

CW

sorry off T

I have the older guitar tracks 2, How is 3 and what are the best new features on it?

• 1 year later...
Guest BentonC

I would go from my guitar into a d.i. box, out the d.i. into my amp and mic that, and out from the d.i into my interface as well to record a clean signal that you can have for adding a amp modeling plug-in or for re-amping later on if you wanted to change the way your amp sounded

There are lots of variations on this technique and it happens to be one of my favorite guitar tracking techniques (with an added room mic too!)

It gives you the most options to work with in post.

• 8 months later...

you can get a USB output upgrade put on your guitar from the iguitar workshop. they are doing upgrades on all brands of guitars. it is screamin good quality and is class compliant so very easy to use, not requiring any drivers. you would be able to run your guitar IN to the computer with USB and then OUT with an 1/8" to 1/4" adapter connected to a regular guitar cable. you could also go 1/8" to RCA for the tape inputs you mentioned but that may not be the best way to get a good tone. www.iguitarworkshop.com for more info

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

If like most of us you are a guitar player rather than a sound engineer or you find sound recording software a bit intimidating, then I recommend Cakewalk V-Studio 20. It's about 12 " x 5" very portable. It comes with Guitar Pro software and COSM amp effects. Plug your guitar in one end, your amp and/or speaker in the other and the USB cable to your PC. You are up and running. Great for catching those moments of inspiration, you can tidy them up later. A beginners dream [flapper]

V-Studio 20

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Line 6 UX-1, but I don't use an amp...I use software for my virtual amp (POD Farm 2) only because it came withe the UX-1. If there's a better way I'm open as I'm really a newbie to home recording even after a year and a half. I'm still learning....NEVER stop learning!

Lots of good reply's here, I myself recommend getting a good interface (A/D-D/A) a basic mixer and just mic your amp with a regular old SM 57 microphone.

Depending on your budget get ether a MOTU or Avid (Digidesign) interface. If you don't got the money for ether of those try M-audio.

As far as mixer's go, Yamaha, Mackie and Alesis are usable and reliable for the money but if you got the cash get a nice Crest, Soundcraft, Allen & Heath or a Manly if you want the real tube sound, Manly's are high priced but very warm sounding.

Then experiment in different rooms/areas in your house to find the best spot to place the amp & microphone. You will know right away where it sound's best after some trial and error test's.

Good Luck

Archived