Gibson Brands Forums

335 Fingerboard Question

RJLII

Greetings to all.

I've just purchased a 335 gloss figured top in Antique Sunburst. Love it. The rosewood board is much lighter in color than I would like. Anyone have any experience with anything I can apply to darken the wood without screwing up the dots or binding?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Personally, I would leave it alone. It may get darker as the guitar ages. When you clean an older rosewood fingerboard, it does get lighter. It may be that it is new, and that is the way is supposed to look. Just my thoughts!

Definitely Fret Doctor, or even just linseed oil will help. But these oils will only restore the wood to it's richest *natural* color - they are not "darkeners" per se... If the wood has faded over time and dried out, they will restore it.

I just need to get some Fret Doctor on order. I tried some "Dr. Stringfellow Lem-Oil" this weekend. I stopped in to GC in Kalamazoo this weekend and one of the guys there said he swears by it. I was underwhelmed. Looks like it makes a good cleaner, but a poor penetrating oil. The wood darkened up initially but lightened and was looking dry again within 24 hours. Part of this may be the wood. When compared to the fingerboard on my '58 reissue LP, the wood on the 335 is much lighter and finer grained. It also hung in a store for more than a year so it may be that much dryer.

Fret Doctor, which I have been using for a year on all my Gibsons, will only darken the wood temporarily.

I have an LP standard with a board that is a little too light. I would consider using an ebony stain like a Minwax product or a leather dye to darken the board. Maybe a visit to the Steward Macdonald web site is in order????

Yep - here we go:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors,_tints,_and_stains/Black_Fingerboard_Stain.html

The question is - how would it look on rosewood vs ebony?

Archived