Gibson Brands Forums

Now that I have had my 339 for about 6 months....

weenus99

I can objectively look at the issues with it. I can understand why the original owner sold it so cheap ($1300). The sound is in fact awesome. Much different than My LP's, Fenders, PRS etc. Great blues sound. Action is very good. Not amazing but very good. The finish is wonderful. The issues: Neck always feel gritty or dirty on back. Polishing removes but it comes back. Control knobs just look cheap. Tried to put amber knobs on but the factory knobs are cut lower inside so anything else sits too high on the post and does not look right. Numerous cuts across the neck and in fact through the MOP inlays! Everything came loose and vibrated. Had to use inch/lb torque wrench to set at right tightness. Seems to have solved that issue. My biggest issue was the Gibson name can't really be seen due to either overspray or really cheap MOP or whatever they use now. Overall it is an amazing guitar. I have done about 50 gigs with it and just love the sound. It really sings. Now if I could just stand looking at it! Its a bit of a butterface if you know what I mean. And all that is wrong does not need to be wrong. Just pay better attention when making them and even more when doing the QC on them. Oh one last thing. The aged binding looks great. The pickguard with it's bright white layer looks out of place.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived