Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard 2008 help?

Elston

I purchased a new Les Paul 2008 standard from a reputable Gibson dealer in the UK in November last year, and have been very happy with it, as my first Les Paul I have nothing to compare it to but it sounds fantastic, brilliant set up out of the case and looks amazing although it is slightly more painful to play than my strat.

But anyway, whilst restringing it today I noticed that the guitar does not have the Dunlop Strap Locks as advertised by gibson, just standard ones. This worried me slightly as I thought it may not be a 2008 standard or even worse a fake, however having checked around a bit the fact that the guitar has a locking jack slot (with the red tab), locking tuners, having an asymmetric neck and I am pretty sure it was pleckd I have come to the conclusion that it is. So where are the locking strap locks?

My serial number says the guitar was made on August 6th 2008 which if i'm right will have made it relatively new in the new les paul standard production line, is it possible that Gibson didn't introduce the strap locks until later, or is it more likely that a guitar tech at the dealer swaped out the strap locks and put on standard ones hoping no one would notice?

Obviously I should have noticed this in the shop =P~ but I was too busy playing the guitar. I am not that bothered about them as I use a locking planet waves strap anyway but I don't like feeling cheated. If anyone could offer any advice as to where they have gone, whether they ever existed or what I should do I would be grateful.

Your guess is as good as mine as to what happened. It's possible that a tech took them out, it's possible that an employee at Gibson put the wrong ones on, it's also possible that Gibson ran out of those locking strap locks on that day and just used regular ones.

Take it back to the dealer, show him and make him give you a free set. That's what I would do...or just buy a pair. They're only $20, or so.

Let's see some pictures of the guitar!! (You need a photobucket account, upload pics there, paste the IMG code here.)

Just a question... what has string change to do with a straplock set? You should have noticed that when you got the guitar. Maybe we are not talking about the same thing.

is it more likely that a guitar tech at the dealer swaped out the strap locks and put on standard ones hoping no one would notice?

If he did that, he did you a favor (you would have ditched them in the end anyway), dunlops are unconfortable and look ugly IMO, if you are ok with your planet waves locking strap then just let it pass, if you feel you need straplocks go with schallers.

Hopefully this will work, sorry for the crapiness of the pictures

P170509_1549.jpg

P170509_154901.jpg

P170509_154902.jpg

P170509_1551.jpg

P170509_155101.jpg

P170509_1550.jpg

Generally I never take off my strap, except for today when I finally got around to restringing and it suddenly got me thinking about the locking straps. As I said previously I should have seen it and said something in the shop, but I am like a kid in a candy store when I am in a guitar shop, and was bowled over by the euphoria of getting a LP.

I am definetly not going to go out and buy any as I am not bothered at all, I might give the shop a ring, but I've got a feeling they have changed hands or have gone out of business since I bought it with the crunch and all. I was just curious as to what might have happened.

Looks like the real deal 2008 Standard to me.

When the strings were off, I suppose the bridge and tailpiece remained attached firmly to their posts?

Also, the Standards I saw have a translucent cover plate over the pot cavity on the back to show off the circuit board.

NeoConMan, just looking at some of your pics, great collection, something I aspire to one day when I earn a bit more money, the tele with the clear lacquer finish (natural wood) looks sweeet. I always wanted a tele in the classic yellow/black but that one looks even better.

NeoConMan' date=' just looking at some of your pics, great collection, something I aspire to one day when I earn a bit more money, the tele with the clear lacquer finish (natural wood) looks sweeet. I always wanted a tele in the classic yellow/black but that one looks even better.[/quote']

One word of advice - NEVER sell a guitar!

Buy all you want, but NEVER sell one.

In a couple decades you'll find you have a killer collection.

That's the single regret I have, selling so many over the years.

All but one of mine now were bought since 2001, so the collection required some TLC - Time, Labor & Cash.

(F---ing divorce.....)

Yeah, the Tele is a real honest guitar and I love that one.

I was never a fan of the butterscotch yellow, I prefer the natural.

I've considered swapping the white pickguard for black though, just to look more traditional.

My 2008 Standard didn't come with the Bourne pots. I actually knew about this at the store when I was buying it. All the ones with Bournes were really loose and felt a bit cheap, so I went for mine which just has the usual Gibson ones.

I have also seen one without the translucent cover on the back, just the normal black one :-({|=

I think you are right in that, it is just the pins or part that goes into the tip, that is missing, have checked the case and they aren't there and they definetly weren't there when I got it, I will try and chase the store about them. At least I know that they weren't swaped out deliberately. I know what you mean about the tuners being out of line but it is just the picture.

On the tele angle, I know what you mean about it being honest, I was lucky enough to see townshend play one recently and it sounded great, no processing or effects needed just a good amp and the guitar. I came close to selling my mandolin and 12 string about a month ago as I was desperate to get my hands on a SJ-200 I played, but have decided against it, I will just have to wait a year or so, and play it every time I go into the guitar shop, much to the frustration of the manager.

Seemed like it's been taken out. Sometimes makes me wonder why would they do that.

Anyway you should also check if you have the pickguard, bracket and screw. Or maybe a truss rod although not all comes with one.

My 2008 Standard didn't come with the Bourne pots. I actually knew about this at the store when I was buying it. All the ones with Bournes were really loose and felt a bit cheap' date=' so I went for mine which just has the usual Gibson ones.

I have also seen one without the translucent cover on the back, just the normal black one :-s[/quote']

They changed the standards mid year... the first six months of production were old-style standards without the circuit boards, etc. and with either 50s or 60s necks. I think you are better off with the old standards.

Archived