Gibson Brands Forums

CS-339 vs. ES-339

sr_maggie

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I'm a bit confused... I have a CS-339 (at least according to the Gibson Showcase in Nashville where I bought it and the CS prefix in the serial number), but I have a hard time finding anything on a CS. Every mention of a 339 is an ES. Is this essentially the same thing? They look about the same, so what's the difference?

Thank you, fellow guitar friends.

Stephanie

From what I can gather, the 336 has a book-matched maple top. I have also noticed that the 336 has gold knobs (not necessarily defining as that could easily be a difference in years or something). Mine doesn't have a book-matched maple top, it's one piece. hm... I could be way off though.

This is simple.

How much did it cost?

My ES-339 serial # starts with CS7.

It's an '07 "Custom Shop" Es-339.

Period. While

"SOME PEOPLE" would like to argue if the Memphis guitars are, or are not "Custom Shop", I have a certificate, a CS serial #, ect.

I win.....

Murph.

both the cs-336 and the es-339 are available with figured maple tops (lots of extra $$$). 336s and 339s (figured maple tops or plain tops) come with chrome hardware.

the gold-appointed versions of each are the cs-356 and es-359. these also have ebony fretboards with block inlays, instead of dots.

Agree with you on the top number wonkiness... I've figured out that the CS84325 is Custom Shop #4325 in 2008. Be nice to know what month that was, so I can properly celebrate it's b-day (aka Day of Guitar) every year. :-)

you have a s/n, BadBluesPlayer, with a CS prefix, too?

They have been inconsistent in this area before, since and until fairly recent times when they settled on Memphis as a, Custom Shop and the exclusive site.

Steve

They have been inconsistent in this area before' date=' since and until fairly recent times when they settled on Memphis as a, Custom Shop and the exclusive site.

Steve[/quote']

Don't be dissin' Memphis, Steve....

:-

I'm kiddin', Pal......

Murph....

I didn't know there were ANY curly-maple-top 339's.

Hmmmm. Your's has ES-336 white binding and white pickup selector, but it has ES-339 style knobs.

In my opinion I think you own an ES-336.

Either way, it's a beautiful guitar!

Congrats, your 336/339 must be very rare.

Ok' date=' I just received a reply from Gibson regarding the question that I had about my guitar, and it is an ES-339 with a "curly maple top". The curly maple tops only come in 60/30 necks, interestingly enough. :-)[/quote']

Archived