Gibson Brands Forums

Treating the rosewood fret board

kingbeeinflorida

That is usually the go to treatment. If you really want to play it safe buy "Luthier's Choice" fretboard conditioner manufactured by Gibson. I just got some yesterday at my local guitar shop. Funny, it sure looks and smells like lemon oil. [-(

Are Nine got me on Fret Doctor. Read the article in its entirety. Then do a search on the web. You'll find positives and negatives about every product out there (including lemon oil), but both of us have never seen one negative comment about Fret Doctor. Are Nine took some before and after pictures, which can be found here. Ed Boyle really knows his stuff. Email him (ewboyle@rcn.com). He'll be happy to talk with you. I actually talk with him on a near daily basis now (we're talking about education these days). Ed recommends using your finger when you put it on. I recently put it on every guitar I own. The ebony boards on my Sonex and Taylor really suck it in. The rosewood on the Les Pauls and Strat darkened up nicely. It really works great...

That is usually the go to treatment. If you really want to play it safe buy "Luthier's Choice" fretboard conditioner manufactured by Gibson. I just got some yesterday at my local guitar shop. Funny' date=' it sure looks and smells like lemon oil. =P~ [/quote']

+1 Good stuff. Been using it for years (same bottle). A little goes a long way -

Fret Doctor's the best, no doubt.

Ed recommends using your finger when you put it on.

Is that what you did? I just applied some today and I couldn't get every part of the fretboard. I mean the part directly under the nut and a thin strip beside each fret. Q Tips all the way.

Is that what you did? I just applied some today and I couldn't get every part of the fretboard. I mean the part directly under the nut and a thin strip beside each fret. Q Tips all the way.

Yep. His wording was something like "it's expensive stuff, why waste it?" Q tips are fine for the hard to reach places...

Recently I read in Dan Erlewine's book that he recommends Raw Linseed Oil for Rosewood and Ebony fretboards, not to be mistaken for boiled linseed oil. Anyone use it on their fretboard yet? It's quite popular around these parts for numerous woodworking finishes.

Recently I read in Dan Erlewine's book that he recommends Raw Linseed Oil for Rosewood and Ebony fretboards' date=' not to be mistaken for boiled linseed oil. Anyone use it on their fretboard yet? It's quite popular around these parts for numerous woodworking finishes.[/quote']

I've used it before and it's ok, but according to Ed Boyle linseed oil is "more like a varnish than an oil." I really recommend that you read his article where he talks about a lot of different products.

Archived