Gibson Brands Forums

Right Guitar Wrong Reasons

AXE®

G'day Gent's

I'm going to go off on a little rant here .

I've been reading all of the why should I's and what would you do's about purchacing a Lester .

First off would you buy one just because it is a certain color or because of a signature ?

I have played hundreds of Lesters, some belonging to artists who are endorsers of Gibson and no two are identical , similar maybe, at best .

No two pieces of wood are the same therefore no two are going to be the same. and figure in the human factor. A milli here and a milli there can make a notable change in playability and tone .

I guess what I'm going for here is are people just getting Les Pauls because there Les Pauls or are the getting them to play?

The whole Slash phenominon has me totally baffled . If you get one you WILL NOT sound like Slash .

I hope this makes sence because I'm a little sleep deprived from a late nite show .

[ I played the Firebird all night] ](*,)

Rant over

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well since I started one of the topics you mention, I'll attempt an answer....

I don't want to sound like Slash. Hell I'm not that great of a player and will likely never play in front of very many people.

However, I do have some disposable income and I would like a quality guitar. I wish my father would have played and had bought a nice guitar that I could be playing now.

I just wondered if the Slash may be a better long term buy because of the limited run of them. I've since changed my mind and I now want a Standard which I can spend some time trying out to find one that I like. So in my case, I will play it and I hope it lasts long enough in my family that my grandson can maybe one day show it to his friends and say, "my grandfather bought this in 2008 and it still rocks!" That would be cool....

In the meantime, I will have an awesome guitar to play badly on....make sense at all? Or should I just spend my money on a better barbecue?

Cory

Cory .

Play as many as you can possibly get your hands on , One of them will make you smile , and there you have it .

I personally would go with the standard, not just any standard based on appearance . Playability and tone are forever .

Looks will change .

And I wasn't trying to single you out , the whole Slash thing is rampant in most guitar forums .

Axe, you made me laugh, because I also lost it a few weeks ago and started a 'Pet Peeve' thread...good times!! ](*,)

OK, I bought a Silverburst Custom because the first time I saw one, I was floored!!!! But, I didn't but the first one I saw, I bought the third one. Initially, the colour is what drew me to this guitar, but the one I bought is incredible. If she didn't feel right and have the tones, she' be right back in the store looking for a new home. Actually 'incredible' isn't the right word I'm looking for...what word best describes incredible times 3,502,984?? O:)

I know exactly what you mean..."Oh my god, a new Slash guitar!! I have to buy it!!" is a bit ridiculous. You know what, if Slash actually worked in the Custom Shop and handmade each of these guitars, that would be a different story...O:)

I love Tool, but no, I did not buy a silverburst because Jones plays one. Mine doesn't even sound close to Jones' LP(s). He has the old silvers, right, with the darker sound. I also love Chevelle & Nirvana (yeah, I said Nirvana), but you don't see me running out to buy a PRS and a Jag-stang.

I've said this before - You want to sound like Slash - BUY A LES PAUL AND A MARSHALL STACK!! It's not rocket-science. Slash didn't have a 'Slash Signature' Les Paul when he got started.

OK...I've said enough too. O:)

Well since I started one of the topics you mention' date=' I'll attempt an answer....

I don't want to sound like Slash. Hell I'm not that great of a player and will likely never play in front of very many people.

However, I do have some disposable income and I would like a quality guitar. I wish my father would have played and had bought a nice guitar that I could be playing now.

I just wondered if the Slash may be a better long term buy because of the limited run of them. I've since changed my mind and I now want a Standard which I can spend some time trying out to find one that I like. So in my case, I will play it and I hope it lasts long enough in my family that my grandson can maybe one day show it to his friends and say, "my grandfather bought this in 2008 and it still rocks!" That would be cool....

In the meantime, I will have an awesome guitar to play badly on....make sense at all? Or should I just spend my money on a better barbecue?

Cory[/quote']

Cory, don't think this is directed at you. If you look at the other forums, Gibson's website & online retailers, it's everywhere.

That part about your dad you wrote...if he did play, would you really care if the guitar he gave you was a signature model? I wouldn't.

I agree, play as many as you can and pick the one you like the best. I picked out mine while I was at the Gibson Showcase in Nashville. Played s few of each of the Les Paul Models (50's neck, 60's neck, Standard, Faded, Classic, R8 both chambered/Cloud9 and non-Chambered, R9, R0). Spent many hours in there and picked the one that played the best and souned the best to me (some sounded good but did not play well, other played well but did not sound good). I knew which colors I did not want (Black, Wine Red) but everything else was ok.

Thus, I picked my '07 Les Paul Standard with 50's neck in HCS. Could not be happier. I thought the R8/R9/R0 would play so much better than the Standard I picked when in reality they did not and thus did not justify the double price tag (the R8's where only $1000 more).

Want to sound like Slash ? You may need this also ...

A Neve 48 channel 8108 console with flying fader automation

Protools HD3 System with Apogee converters

2” 24 track MCI analog tape machin

Industry Mic Preamps

MIC PRE EQ's

8 Neve 1073’s

6 API (2-543’s, 2-550b’s, 2-560’s)

2 API 7600 Channel Strips

2 Vintech Audio model 473 4 channel

1 Millennia TD-1 Direct Box

1 Millennia HV-3D 8 channel

1 Avalon U5 Direct box

COMPRESSORS/LIMITERS

2 Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor

2 Teletronix LA2A

2 1176

3 DBX-160A

3 DBX-160XT

Behringer Multigate Pro XR4400

1 Millennia STT-1 Single Channel Micpre/compressor

1 Millennia HVD-8 8 Channel Micpre/compressor

OUTBOARD EFFECTS

Eventide H 3000 D/SX

Lexicon PCM80

Ensoniq DP-4

Alesis Quadraverb

SPL Transient Designer

APHEX Aural Exciter Type C

MICROPHONES

1 AKG D112

2 AKG C414 B-ULS

1 Audiotechnica AT4060 tube mic

4 AudioTechnica AT4051

4 AudioTechnica AT4047

1 Audiotechnica AT841A

2 Audiotechnica ATM25

1 Audiotechnica 4050CM5

3 Audiotechnica AT4033

1 Audiotechnica AT815ST

4 Avelex CI35

4 Avlex AVS20

1 BLUE Bottle Tube Mic

2 Royer Ribbon Mics

4 Seinheiser MD 421 II

2 Shure KSM44

4 Shure SM57

4 Shure SM58

2 Shure SM81

1 Superlux CM-H8G tube mic

1 Superlux CM-H8D tube mic

2 Superlux CM-H8B

I guess what I'm going for here is are people just getting Les Pauls because there Les Pauls or are the getting them to play?

I bought both of mine to play gigs with - blood, sweat, beer, tears and all. I've never bought into the signature guitar thing, and I'd never consider buying a guitar that I would not take to gigs.

I bought both of mine to play gigs with - blood' date=' sweat, beer, tears and all. I've never bought into the signature guitar thing, and I'd never consider buying a guitar that I would not take to gigs. [/quote']

There ya go purchase with a purpose , each one of my guitars has a specific place in the stable ,

Thats probably why I don't own 30 or more , I'm a self proclaimed "prick" when it comes to my preferences [others have called me the same also]

All 3 (2 Lesters, one acoustic) actually. My guitars get played at least 2 hours every day, although I have been neglecting my Mandolin of late.

My 335 doesn't get played anymore, so I've put her up for sale. Great guitar...but...

I play for 2-6 hours everyday and find myself playing LPs 90% of the time. I love Les Pauls because they sound, feel & play great...not because a famous musician is endorsing them.

They could have renamed it the Gibson Matt Damon (any Team America fans out there? ](*,) ) for all I care, I'd still play it.

Industry Mic Preamps

MIC PRE EQ's

8 Neve 1073’s

6 API (2-543’s' date=' 2-550b’s, 2-560’s)

1 Avalon U5 Direct box

COMPRESSORS/LIMITERS

2 Teletronix LA2A

2 1176

3 DBX-160A

3 DBX-160XT

OUTBOARD EFFECTS

Eventide H 3000 D/SX

Lexicon PCM80

Ensoniq DP-4

Alesis Quadraverb

SPL Transient Designer

MICROPHONES

1 AKG D112

2 AKG C414 B-ULS

4 AudioTechnica AT4051

4 AudioTechnica AT4047

1 Audiotechnica AT841A

2 Audiotechnica ATM25

1 Audiotechnica 4050CM5

3 Audiotechnica AT4033

1 Audiotechnica AT815ST

4 Avelex CI35

4 Avlex AVS20

1 BLUE Bottle Tube Mic

2 Royer Ribbon Mics

4 Seinheiser MD 421 II

2 Shure KSM44

4 Shure SM57

4 Shure SM58

2 Shure SM81

2 Superlux CM-H8B

[/quote']

Could I substitute the Neve 8108 with the SSL 900J? It's more user friendly.

You know what's funny? You never hear about anyone buying a Les Paul because Les Paul plays one.....

Anyway, the thing that makes me laugh about the Slash signiature guitars is that Slash doesn't play them. Considering the guitars he has, though..... I don't blame him.

I love Les Pauls because they sound' date=' feel & play great...not because a famous musician is endorsing them.

They could have renamed it the Gibson Matt Damon (any Team America fans out there? default_eusa_wall.gif ) for all I care, I'd still play it.

Be careful what you wish for. There was a Kiefer Sutherland special version of the CS-336 just last year. And it got renamed the KS-336 just for him.

Ignatius

You know what's funny? You never hear about anyone buying a Les Paul because Les Paul plays one.....

Anyway' date=' the thing that makes me laugh about the Slash signiature guitars is that Slash doesn't play them. Considering the guitars he has, though..... I don't blame him.[/quote']

That's cos Mr. Paul plays a Les Paul Recording model and they don't make those anymore ](*,)

As far as trying to get the "slash" sound, he may use an @$$load of gear now, but I tend to think he didn't start that way. His sound is in choosing the progressions he chooses with the phrasing that he prefers. He could sound like slash on really jsut about any kind of gear, because he is.

Every instrument is different, but products of the same model have more simialrities than differences. I bought my LP because it was what I thought I would like. Heavy, pitched neck, maple top, more or less traditional construction, sustain for months. Individually, the feel of it is gonna be slightly different from others of the same model, particularly in the neck. My flying v, for example, feels like the neck was radiused after taking measurements of my fretting hand.

Isn't the Les Paul a signature guitar to begin with? he did not design it, Gibson simply put his name on it and his only contribution to the actual design was the original tail piece that lasted only for a few years...

I personally would not care whether a guitar is a signature guitar or not if the guitar has the features I wanted that is all I need to know.

I am sure back in the day some people bought a Les Paul because it was his signature model, go figure...

Can you imagine a conversation around 1959 one guy telling the other: what? you bought a 1959 Les Paul signature guitar? why? what's the big deal? they are not even selling well. Flame top sunburst? who cares...I hear that they are discountinuing them in 1960...

Another point I was trying to make is ... "for example" you have a AAA Flametop beauty Supreme Deluxe Custom with a really cool blinking light and sounds and plays subpar .

Versus a Standard off the rack Lester that looks like someone smeared beagle **** on it and it plays and sounds SOOO good which would you go for ? The (poser) or the (player) ???

Cory .

Play as many as you can possibly get your hands on ' date=' One of them will make you smile , and there you have it .

I personally would go with the standard, not just any standard based on appearance . Playability and tone are forever .

Looks will change .

And I wasn't trying to single you out , the whole Slash thing is rampant in most guitar forums .[/quote']

No offence taken. I am obviously not at the level of playing that you are at. You and others (especially Tim A.) make some great points and I have learned a lot from you guys. This is not something I would buy everyday or probably ever again so any advice is appreciated. This is the great thing about these forums - I can get advice from people who know way more than me. I'm hacking away in my garage with my buddies and you guys are getting paid to play.

Cheers,

Cory

Yesterday afternoon, while I was drooling over the newest Lester and overheard a couple of 16 year olds debating whether they should replace the pickups of a $3,000 LP Custom with active or passive EMGs. First I don't think a 16 year old can really appreciate what a LP is, especially since mom and dad are just giving them the money. And second, I am pretty much convinced that if you screw EMGs to the dining room table and feed it through a Marshall stack you would achieve the same sound.

In my humble opinion, we should buy Lester's for the sound primarily and secondarily because of the look and history not because it is the most expensive guitar in the shop.

AXE, i think most of us bought a les paul because it was a les paul... if you want a guitar that plays well and has everything you guys have noted above, then there's at least 4 names i can think of right now (fender, parker, prs, epi elitist), they all have cheap guitars and more expensive ones that actually come close to gibson or are equal in quality and price. So why did i buy a Les Paul? because it is a gibson les paul, if it was a $1700 stratocaster i wouldnt have spent that kind of money.

I'm willing to spend on a gibson, but not on a custom shop gibson, and i aint willing to pay more than 1000 for a non gibson guitar (parker is the only exception, but i dont like them, i just think the features they have make up for the price)

That said, 8 years ao i bought a van hallen signature guitar... it didnt sound any good through my amp and fingers, it was too small, and i ended up selling it the minute peavey stopped making them, i actually made a little profit of it... and decided never to buy a signature guitar again.

Its funny how many people think they can sound like theyr favorite artist if they buy his guitar or fx pedal or amp... Famous artists almost never use the signature stuff, they get their tone through work, experimentation, and of course, a good sound enginer, they record a cd and if they get lucky and become famous some company comes and asks to replicate their tone in a single overpriced pedal/guitar/amp, they invest lots of money and then the add on "guitar one" says you need a limited run $25.000 guitar to sound and play like whatevershisname.

Really people, if you had slash's complete rig, then you would sound exactly like YOU, not like slash.

Industry Mic Preamps

MIC PRE EQ's

8 Neve 1073’s

6 API (2-543’s' date=' 2-550b’s, 2-560’s)

1 Avalon U5 Direct box

COMPRESSORS/LIMITERS

2 Teletronix LA2A

2 1176

3 DBX-160A

3 DBX-160XT

OUTBOARD EFFECTS

Eventide H 3000 D/SX

Lexicon PCM80

Ensoniq DP-4

Alesis Quadraverb

SPL Transient Designer

MICROPHONES

1 AKG D112

2 AKG C414 B-ULS

4 AudioTechnica AT4051

4 AudioTechnica AT4047

1 Audiotechnica AT841A

2 Audiotechnica ATM25

1 Audiotechnica 4050CM5

3 Audiotechnica AT4033

1 Audiotechnica AT815ST

4 Avelex CI35

4 Avlex AVS20

1 BLUE Bottle Tube Mic

2 Royer Ribbon Mics

4 Seinheiser MD 421 II

2 Shure KSM44

4 Shure SM57

4 Shure SM58

2 Shure SM81

2 Superlux CM-H8B

[/quote']

Can I just buy some sort of magic box to replace all these? :)

Archived