Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson James Hetfield Signature

jlb32

I'm gonna do a blood red stain so the figuring shows. This Saturday I'm getting an EMG 81/60 set I saw on craigslist and then meeting with a local luthier on Sunday to do start the finish on the body and neck. For Christmas I asked for nothing but gift certificates to either Sam Ash or Guitar Center so I can buy the rest of the parts.

Should look good. [thumbup]

Have you seen the new ESP Hetfield coming out(Snakebyte)? Looks pretty ugly. ESP seems to really be stretching it these days since they can't make any of the body styles Hetfield is known for playing except the Eclipse. It's almost like they are just making something to keep him around.

Damn Gibson is so silly for not going after Hetfield hard and doing a Hetfield Signature Explorer or Les Paul. They are sitting on a gold mine with the explorer shape that no one else can make and they don't even go after the most popular known Explorer player in the world to do a Signature. Maybe those Jonas Brothers and Chad Kroeger Signatures are selling like hotcakes. [biggrin]

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should look good. [thumbup]

Have you seen the new ESP Hetfield coming out(Snakebyte)? Looks pretty ugly. ESP seems to really be stretching it these days since they can't make any of the body styles Hetfield is known for playing except the Eclipse. It's almost like they are just making something to keep him around.

Damn Gibson is so silly for not going after Hetfield hard and doing a Hetfield Signature Explorer or Les Paul. They are sitting on a gold mine with the explorer shape that no one else can make and they don't even go after the most popular known Explorer player in the world to do a Signature. Maybe those Jonas Brothers and Chad Kroeger Signatures are selling like hotcakes. [biggrin]

Ha! Not likely. Yeah, I'm a lil on the fence since I first saw it. For some reason it looks ok on white. If I had to get one. I'll decide whether or not I want it after I try it out.

Also "Kenny" has been painted. Check the lounge for updated pics. Needs pups wired and it's ready to rock!

• 2 weeks later...

and dont forget Keifer Sutherland, a musician who has touched us all!

how the hell could somebody say james hetfield doesnt deserve a gibson signature ? the man influenced many musicians and brought a lotto heavy metal .. i think some people should understand a little bit more about "Music"

how the hell could somebody say james hetfield doesnt deserve a gibson signature ? the man influenced many musicians and brought a lotto heavy metal .. i think some people should understand a little bit more about "Music"

Agreed. Also I see in your signature you have a RAN Explorer. This is an appropriate thread to post a picture of it. [biggrin]

• 3 weeks later...

I think these signature guitars are O.K. if they offer something unique... The "tribute guitar" never really interested me

I dunno.... If I am going to spend my money on something I think I would want it to be mine... Even though I am a huge Rush fan, and like the Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess, and the features it has, I don't know if I would be willing to

shell out that kind of money for one....

If I could, I would probably get the Les Paul Axcess Standard.... ( I know the Standard doesn't have the piezo bridge saddles)

(In reality, I'll probably end up with the Epiphone Pro/fx)

just my opinion though..... I Gibson wouldn't be making them if people weren't buying them.

It's not about who deserves a Gibson Signature the last several years. Gibson doesn't seem to be interested in giving Signatures to the guitarist that have played Gibsons for decades, want the Signatures and have the power to sell them. I guess they figure they can ride Slash's coat tails for a few more years.

Hetfield is one of the most, if not the most, popular rock/metal guitars in the world. Pretty much everything he does sells like crazy. Gibson doesn't seem interested in that though. Maybe a few more Chad Kroeger, Jonas Brothers, Buckethead, Keifer Sutherland, Dethlok, etc... Signatures will help their business.

It's not about who deserves a Gibson Signature the last several years. Gibson doesn't seem to be interested in giving Signatures to the guitarist that have played Gibsons for decades, want the Signatures and have the power to sell them. I guess they figure they can ride Slash's coat tails for a few more years.

Hetfield is one of the most, if not the most, popular rock/metal guitars in the world. Pretty much everything he does sells like crazy. Gibson doesn't seem interested in that though. Maybe a few more Chad Kroeger, Jonas Brothers, Buckethead, Keifer Sutherland, Dethlok, etc... Signatures will help their business.

i agree .. but wait a minute .... are you saying keifer sutherland has a gibson signature ??????

i agree .. but wait a minute .... are you saying keifer sutherland has a gibson signature ??????

Of course he does. Do a google search. Gibson it seems will work with all takers for signatures these days except the ones that really deserve them. Chad Kroeger, a all PRS player forever, even has a Gibson Signature now. The only reason he's playing Gibson now instead of PRS is because of the Signature. If not he would still be playing PRSi.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How aboot one of these in black?

abalone_vintage_guitars_celebrity_clients_james_hetfield_metallica-1958_gibson_ems1235_double_neck_guitar_collection.jpg

[biggrin] I don't think that would sell to well. Of course that doesn't seem to stop Gibson here lately. They seem to prefer releasing guitars that most don't want than what most do want.

• 2 weeks later...

So it should only be a matter of time before someone famous using a signature gets there version

of it. That would be a signature signature model.........and then so on and so forth etc.

I also am not a fan of overpriced sig models, it is like collectable franklin mint marketing and actually

is detrimental to the overall brand IMHO. We would be better served with more finish and feature options

on the existing lines.

Well like someone pointed out, any signature les paul is a signature version of a signature version... The other obvious answer that springs to mind is the Jackson Randy Rhoads.

i know. i love Kirk Hammett's work. but is he the greatest? nope. and its not like he thinks he's the greatest, either. hell, he's about the most humble celebrity i've ever heard talk; quite the opposite of their little gnome drummer. haha

but it is indeed a popularity contest. and Guitar World does indeed suck.

Lars Ulrick is about as likeable as genital warts... Did you ever see the "year on the road with metallica" video? He basically made fun of every other musician and band. He also made jokes about a tragic concert where a lot of fans were crushed. Not a likeable guy at all... Don't know how nice guys like Hammet and Hetfield put up with him. My friend says that Lars started the band and came up with the name... That's about the only reason I can think of.

Lars Ulrick is about as likeable as genital warts... Did you ever see the "year on the road with metallica" video? He basically made fun of every other musician and band. He also made jokes about a tragic concert where a lot of fans were crushed. Not a likeable guy at all... Don't know how nice guys like Hammet and Hetfield put up with him. My friend says that Lars started the band and came up with the name... That's about the only reason I can think of.

James and Lars started the band together. I don't know what video you are referring to but Lars is a very likeable guy in real life. He's not quite as humble as Kirk and has a different personality but he's far from the asshole alot think he is.

Have you ever met Lars? Probably not. I have and he is far from a jerk. Never did he give the impression that he would rather be doing something or be somewhere else. He signed my stuff and actually talked to me. Say what you want, but he does appreciate the true fans. By fans, I mean those who still support the band and go to the shows.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you ever met Lars? Probably not. I have and he is far from a jerk. Never did he give the impression that he would rather be doing something or be somewhere else. He signed my stuff and actually talked to me. Say what you want, but he does appreciate the true fans. By fans, I mean those who still support the band and go to the shows.

True. Lars gets a bad rap but in reality he probably does more for fans than 90% of other artists do. Pretty much all of the guys in Metallica are pretty laid back and humble to be multi-millionaires.

I've read several articles on Gibsons Lifestyle page concerning Metallica. Still surprises me they can't get something done with James after all of these years he has been playing Gibson guitars. Gibson brought out some '84 reissue explorers but made them Epiphones. #-o

True. Lars gets a bad rap but in reality he probably does more for fans than 90% of other artists do. Pretty much all of the guys in Metallica are pretty laid back and humble to be multi-millionaires.

I've read several articles on Gibsons Lifestyle page concerning Metallica. Still surprises me they can't get something done with James after all of these years he has been playing Gibson guitars. Gibson brought out some '84 reissue explorers but made them Epiphones. #-o

I almost bought one but could not justify buying an Epi since I already own a Gibson. I was gonna buy the white one and dec it out like the "Papa Het" ESP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Awesome

JamesHetfieldGibsonRustyFlyingV.jpg

I love Hetfields Gibson Rusty V and Explorer. I've never seen him play the Rusty V live though in all the years he has had it. I wonder if it's just a thing where he doesn't really like it's tone?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived