Gibson Brands Forums

Book Review

Archer993

Well it didn't say anywhere that I couldn't review a book.

This one is a Jimmy Page unauthorized biography by George Case. The book is all about the beginnings of The Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin and uniformly interesting and informative from beginning to end.

Of course the book talks about Jimmy's guitars. The 1960 LP Black Beauty that he traded in a Chet Atkins Country Gentleman for and of course the 58 or 59 (the exact year is unknown as the guitar lost it's serial number due to a headstock repair) Standard that he is most famous for. The origins of the JP #1 LP are discussed - Jimmy bought it from Joe Walsh who had sent it out for repair and modification. While being repaired the luthier shaved the neck down, thinning it toward the center. Walsh did not like this. Jimmy apparently did and he bought the LP from Walsh. This is interesting because the impression I always got was that the 2004 model Jimmy Page Signature LP's elliptical neck profile was Jimmy's idea. No matter, it's a great playing guitar.

Anyway, it's a good read for anyone interested in the origins of rock bands and their lifestyles.

• 2 weeks later...

who was jimmys guitar tech?

does the book talk about the push pull pots on his guitar???

ive also herd the jimmy had a phaser and a "b blender" installed on is les paul

does it talk about that @ all???

No mention of a guitar tech but there was a guy mentioned, Royal Navy I believe, who made all of Jimmy's 1st effects, especially the fuzz that he used with the Supro amp. There is a brief mention of the split coil and out of phase mods to the LP.

Archived