Gibson Brands Forums

490r/490t pickups compared to the classic 57's

guitar_randy

How much difference in tone is there with the gibson 490r/490t pickups compared to the classic 57's? Where does the difference lie,highs/lows?

I have an sg faded with the 490r and 490t and they sound very vintage to me.Compared to my sg standard they may actually sound better than the 498t.

When I view the pickup chart

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Division...ade%20%281%29/

which I think measures pickup outputs?,the 57 classics are very close to the 490r/490t.So where is the difference or what is the difference between them?

The difference is mainly in the tone itself. The output of the pick up matters very little because your amp can make up for any difference in output. The '57 classic's have a different sound balance. ( lows, mids, and highs.) you'll notice it more if you play clean like jazz riffs or fingerpicking.

In my opion the 490's have a more Rock oriented tone as to where the '57 Classic's are a more all around tone. Sutable for Jazz, Country, Rock, Blues, etc.. That may be why Gibson puts them in more of the hollowbodies over the other pickups.

The difference is mainly in the tone itself. The output of the pick up matters very little because your amp can make up for any difference in output. The '57 classic's have a different sound balance. ( lows' date=' mids, and highs.) you'll notice it more if you play clean like jazz riffs or fingerpicking.

In my opion the 490's have a more Rock oriented tone as to where the '57 Classic's are a more all around tone. Sutable for Jazz, Country, Rock, Blues, etc.. That may be why Gibson puts them in more of the hollowbodies over the other pickups.[/quote']

Thanks.I think my stock pickups in my sg standard sound great until I hear my faded sg with the 490's.Some reason the faded kinda sounds more vintage,I guess is the word.Here are both guitars played one after another volumes,tones,etc all set same for both guitars

Kind of funny watching your video there. I had a wine red Special that I traded for a Cherry Standard. Although I didn't have both guitars at the same time to do a side by side comparison like you, I really prefer the Standard - both in sound and looks. Definitely glad I upgraded.

• 2 years later...

I bought a SC Faded about a month ago, and I was thinking about switching to the 57 classic and 57 classic+ combo after hearing so much about them. Well, I've decided to leave the 490's in, I plays classic Rock and Blues and I'm starting to think the 490's sound great. For what I'm playing, I think they are perfect. I dont really like the higher end of the 498T in your video either. Guitar Center Has the Classics on sale for $99 a piece right now, But the more I think about it, I like the stock setup. I'll spend the saved cash on gear. Thanks for the comparison video, The Faded Rocks. [thumbup]

I bought a SC Faded about a month ago, and I was thinking about switching to the 57 classic and 57 classic+ combo after hearing so much about them. Well, I've decided to leave the 490's in, I plays classic Rock and Blues and I'm starting to think the 490's sound great. For what I'm playing, I think they are perfect. I dont really like the higher end of the 498T in your video either. Guitar Center Has the Classics on sale for $99 a piece right now, But the more I think about it, I like the stock setup. I'll spend the saved cash on gear. Thanks for the comparison video, The Faded Rocks. [thumbup]

I just finished swapping the stock 490R and 498T in my 06 SG Special Faded with S-D's. Put a Jazz in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge. The difference is astounding. So much more sustain and bite. If you, or anyone else want the original pair, contact me and I'll make you a great deal on the pair.

Does anyone have any experience with BurstBuckers in the SG? I'd be curious as to how well they'd

mate with the thinner body. I swapped out the 490R/498Ts in my LP Studio with some HBs and

they just flat-out rock. I've had my '61 RI SG for a few months now, and while I generally love the guitar,

I'm not sure I'm completely sold on the 57's, particularly the 57+ in the bridge. I'd actually consider

keeping the neck pup, as I think it sounds just right for its intended purpose. To me, the bridge pup

just doesn't seem to have quite enough cujones, so to speak. I'm definitely think BB or as someone

suggested, the SD Pearly Gates. I guess my concern is I don't want to take the SG out of the SG,

if you catch my drift.

The 490 has more mid range and also more top end 'bite' which is what makes it great for rock. However, it's still a PAF so has it that vintage tone. Like the '57 Classic it is wax potted to eliminate squeal but it has the added advantage of having 4 conductor wires (on those purchased for aftermarket use) enabing alternative wiring options. 498s, I believe, have an alnico V magnets so are 'hotter' than 490s which have alnico II magnets. Nevertheless. IMO, 490s take high gain amp/effect settings very well..............I much prefer them to 498s which I think are a bit 'muddy'.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience with BurstBuckers in the SG? I'd be curious as to how well they'd

mate with the thinner body. I swapped out the 490R/498Ts in my LP Studio with some HBs and

they just flat-out rock. I've had my '61 RI SG for a few months now, and while I generally love the guitar,

I'm not sure I'm completely sold on the 57's, particularly the 57+ in the bridge. I'd actually consider

keeping the neck pup, as I think it sounds just right for its intended purpose. To me, the bridge pup

just doesn't seem to have quite enough cujones, so to speak. I'm definitely think BB or as someone

suggested, the SD Pearly Gates. I guess my concern is I don't want to take the SG out of the SG,

if you catch my drift.

I've got a 2010 SG Std that's a GC special model. You can check the specs on the GC site. It has a BB3 at the bridge and a BB1 at the neck. Both have tapped coils. Everything is subjective, but this is one of the few guitars that I've ever owned that I don't have any plans to swap out anything, and I'm a chronic tinkerer. You might have a GC near you with one in stock. If you like the tone, buy the parts and swap them out. Have fun!

• 1 year later...

Kind of funny watching your video there. I had a wine red Special that I traded for a Cherry Standard. Although I didn't have both guitars at the same time to do a side by side comparison like you, I really prefer the Standard - both in sound and looks. Definitely glad I upgraded.

Well i had a new SG standard in ebony that i bought back in 96 and all the bells and whistles of the crown inlays and binding, with chrome pickup covers were meaningless because of such disappointments like the nut alignment with the binding being off center, and the lack of flushness with the binding to the neck, just soured me on the construction quality of the SG standard, i eventually got rid of it.

I recently got the Gibson SG Faded in worn brown, and it's far better looking as far as quality construction goes, and no binding on the neck. means no binding ever to wear down unevenly or separate and fall off after 20 years of playing.

Plus it has a much more natural vintage look, with a more vintage sound thanks to the 490's, i prefer the faded to todays standards, at least as far as the quality construction goes.

Even got a Gibson hardshell case for it, thats how much i love it and want to keep it in premo condition.

• 1 year later...

How much difference in tone is there with the gibson 490r/490t pickups compared to the classic 57's? Where does the difference lie,highs/lows?

I have an sg faded with the 490r and 490t and they sound very vintage to me.Compared to my sg standard they may actually sound better than the 498t.

which I think measures pickup outputs?,the 57 classics are very close to the 490r/490t.So where is the difference or what is the difference between them?

in my opinion ,,if it matters any ,,,i had an es 137 with the 490r & 490t in it & i think they are a really hot sounding pickup,,totally love them ,,,i now have a lespaul with the 57's in it & in my opinion i wish it had the 490's in it ,,honestly i think the 490's are hard to beat ,,again its just my opinion ,but everyone has theyre own preferences ,,,,,,,490's are hard to beat !!!!!!!!!!! :),,in my sg classic it has the p90's ,,now in that guitar ,,i love the p90's sounds

I guess to each his own.

I have a sunrise orange platinum SG Special and I could not wait to swap out the 490 pickups. To me the highs are too ouchy and the lows are too muddy. I put a 57+ in the bridge (it was supposed to be a 57, but did not realize they gave me the wrong box until I got home so I kept it) and a P-94 in the neck. To me the 57s are richer in sweet highs and pleasant mids & lows and make richer clean tones. I built my sound off of that by adding dirt boxes on top. Now I mostly play my SG Classic and Jazzmaster, but that old Special gets time in my hands here and there.

Here's a spec chart that's helpful...

Personally, my favorite pickups on a Les Paul are the 490R in the neck and possibly 498T in the bridge...

'57 Classics are a close 2nd so far...

I must also say I'm delightfully pleased with the mini humbuckers on my Deluxe LE reissue too!

782216GibsonChart.jpg

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread but its the kind of thread people will keep coming back to help them shop for pickups and guitars, and I just have to add my 2 cents. The 490 set, neck and bridge, 490R/490T, are in my opinion the best set Gibson makes, and Ill go further: In a Les Paul, SG or thin body ES type guitar there is NO pickup set I would rather have. They have the best of vintage PAF tone with a new-pickup edge to them. I've owned dozens of Gibson guitars over the past 4 decades and most of them I bought used. I found that The guitars which were the best taken care of, set up to play (the best) and the best sounding almost always had a set of 490's in them. That should tell you something -professional and experienced musicians prefer the 490's....I only wish GISBON WOULD MAKE A DOUBLE WHITE/CREME option for them!!!!!

All my SG's have Classic '57's! My Gibson "Lucille" has the 490's! = I Love them Both! [biggrin]

CB

Agreed, the 57's are a fine set. I might even choose the 57's over the 490 set for a 355 or for a big, deep hollow body (like a 400)... maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have much to add other than IMO the 57 Classic, Classic+, 490R, 490T, and 498T pickups are all great. It's true the 490 series sounds more "modern" but the difference in the mids and highs also make them great for note separation with more complex chording and leads. I'd say the 57s are softer or rounder but it isn't night and day to my ears.

• 2 years later...

Thanks.I think my stock pickups in my sg standard sound great until I hear my faded sg with the 490's.Some reason the faded kinda sounds more vintage,I guess is the word.Here are both guitars played one after another volumes,tones,etc all set same for both guitars

Niiiiiiize Plexi! Excellent demo too!

• 4 years later...
9 hours ago, Brianboru said:

Hi I have a Les Paul  faded someone has swopped the bridge 490 with Duncan Seymour will I gain anything to put it back to standard.

Put it back to standard?  What the heII does that mean!?

Gain anything? Every ear is different  

and what kind of SD is it? 

By the way you write I’m guessing you’re 13 years old.  

Edited by brad1

On 3/25/2014 at 11:47 AM, STLOUIEPLAYA said:
On 3/31/2008 at 6:22 AM, guitar_randy said:

in my opinion ,,if it matters any ,,,i had an es 137 with the 490r & 490t in it & i think they are a really hot sounding pickup,,totally love them ,,,i now have a lespaul with the 57's in it & in my opinion i wish it had the 490's in it ,,honestly i think the 490's are hard to beat ,,again its just my opinion ,but everyone has theyre own preferences ,,,,,,,490's are hard to beat !!!!!!!!!!! :),,in my sg classic it has the p90's ,,now in that guitar ,,i love the p90's sounds

I have an LP Std Plus with 490’s, an ES LP with MHS & an ES335 with 57’s.. I like the 490’s best of the 3… The 57’s come in 3rd… That said, my LP Special with P90’s is hard to beat…..