Gibson Brands Forums

9's, 10's, 12's....?

daveinspain

Many of you guys like different gauge strings... Why do you like what you use? What are the main differences/advantages between the various gauges? I've been a member a long time and I don't remember this topic being covered although I'm sure it must have been. I did a superficial search on string gauge and still didn't find anything about why one is better than the other...

Many of you guys like different gauge strings... Why do you like what you use? What are the main differences/advantages between the various gauges? I've been a member a long time and I don't remember this topic being covered although I'm sure it must have been. I did a superficial search on string gauge and still didn't find anything about why one is better than the other...

Strings are a simply a personal preference thing. There are some basics though, that should be considered.

Scale Length. Gibson's, for example, have a shorter scale/string length. So it's easier to get away with thicker strings. Ever wonder why you can bend the hell out of 11's on a Gibson, but 11's feel like tree trunks on a Tele? Fenders have a longer scale/string length so the tension to get the string up to proper pitch is greater.

It's a general perception that higher gauge strings "sound" better. This is purely speculation.

String material. Nickel is more of a "vintage" sound while steel is more of a "modern" sound. Again, purely up to the ears hearing it.

This is bare minimum, but a good launching point. I play D'Addario 11-56 on my Gretsch's and 10-52 on my fenders. Nickel. I like them for the mix of playability and sound. My opinion.

It depends on the guitar really.

Mostly I will switch between 10's and 11's and lately leaning more towards 10's.

I used to play 12's and 13's on everything. I used to be on this SRV kick and trying to get that think beefy/meaty tone. I just don't play enough now to keep up the strength for 13's even though I still have them on my SRV strat - tuned 1/2 step down.

It's pretty much personal preforance it seem. I like to use 11s and 12s on my guitars. The one thing I have noticed though is that the bigger the strings the better they seem to respond to wah pedals and some other effects. Don't know why and it might just be my ears but that's how it sounds to me.

Also I read that in the early 80s SRV used 16s and 17 0___________o

Same with **** Dale but always for him.

I like using Gibsons Humbucker strings (11s). Because I like the feel of the 11s over 10s and nines (9s and tens seem to have too much give) and the strings themselves work great with humbuckers and are very strong (stronger than your normal strings due to the different metals used)

I always go back to 10's on Electric. Started on 9's, worked my way up to 11's, flirted with 12's, came back to 10's

Dean Markley 1972 Reissues or just Dean Markley Regulars.

Acoustic is 12's and I don't care which Brand, I still experiment a lot with Bronze, Phosphor Bronze, Brass when I want to go bright. I want to try those new Red Copper Bronze strings by DR.

I use the Elixir polyweb - a bit thicker coating in theory although I don't have a microscope to see the difference.

I've got the light acoustic ones for the acoustic and they sound fine but at 10s are heavier than I like for how I play.

The super light electric polyweb on electrics. 9 to 42.

I think the Goretex may help with mellowing things just a little compared to some strings of that gauge and also I have a very, very light touch with bare fingers and thumb most of the time - at least that's my intent. <grin> When run through an amp... I don't hear much difference other than I can do stuff with the light ones I can't with the heavier ones.

Left hand technique is more analogous to classical "nylon string" style than what folks brought up on steel strings might do.

Fugure I'm playing a "classical guitar" but with the tone and sustain of steel.

So - the lighter strings make a lot of barre stuff work where heavier strings make it more difficult. (E.g., with a barre at the third fret, finger what would be a root "C," then what would be a root G and then what would be a root Am.... now fingerpick an arpeggios during the change - or do it so the treble works up and the bass goes down as in counterpoint.

With hollow, semi hollow and solidbody - all "Gibson" scale - these strings work. Heavier ones don't.

m

Depends on the guitar

I use mostly Elixir Nanoweb (10's) on almost all electrics. I use Gibson Strings (.10's) on my R9 and R8

I go Heavier on guitars I drop Tune and the Trussart and Rickenbacker models. The only 9's I use are on the Taylor T5 I use Elixir light (9's) acoustic strings on it with a custom acoustic bridge because of the Tone I want and I play 12's on my National's because I want those to ring. On Starts I use Fender Bullets (10's) because I always have. and lastly my Bass I use Fender Flatwounds (55's) a real pain but I love the acoustic Bass tone they generate.

I want to try those new Red Copper Bronze strings by DR.

I just bought a pack last week but I have not installed them. They are advertising so much that I just had to try it.

I finished re-stringing my 12-string acoustic just a couple of days ago, the guitar doesn't have a pickup so I use them mic on the tuner. Talk about a pain, 12 strings and 12 pins, a flexible top and no onboard tuner, at this moment I do not want to tune anything!

I want to try those new Red Copper Bronze strings by DR.

I just bought a pack last week but I have not installed them. They are advertising so much that I just had to try it. They are pricey but I do not change strings often anyway.

I finished re-stringing my 12-string acoustic just a couple of days ago, the guitar doesn't have a pickup so I use them mic on the tuner. Talk about a pain, 12 strings and 12 pins, a flexible top and no onboard tuner, at this moment I do not want to tune anything!

I use Ernie Ball Lime regular Slinky 10's (2221), on my 339 and SG and Melody Maker, 9's on the Tele, and 12's Nanoweb on the J45RW.

The 339 gets changed after 4 gigs (3 hours 15 minutes play +/- X 4) and the SG is practice/backup whenever I decide.

Now for the Wiggly Stick angle. Yeah nobody mentioned that yet huh?? (Wiggly haters) hahahaha,,,

Dead simple me, I LIKE that. XL 9's generally, then 1 guage per half note. So on the new 7 (although it is a Kahler which will be "interesting" I will use 11's as it will be generally tuned to D.

I would say for me, 12's on an LP would cripple me. 12's on a Byrdland it would break!!!!

So in my opinion it very much depends on the guitar too.

From Chris, alone in Sheffield on a course.

Archived