• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1974 SG Special ?

#1 User is offline   TalkyToaster 

• Group: Members

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:55 PM

Hi all, this is my first post to this forum so hello to you all !. An now I'm going to bore you with the perennial 'what is my guitar?' question. So here goes...

I've owned my guitar for approx 25 years, bought second hand from what was then Musical Exchanges in Birmingham. I't's clearly an SG but I've never actually known the precise model and age of it. From what I've been able to find out I believe it may be a '74 special but I would greatly appreciate the forums views on this.

I'm going to attempt to create image links below, bear with me if it goes wrong ...

Main image:
Posted Image

The link below should get you a set of images on flickr that show the details ...
Flickr Image Set - Gibson SG detail pics

The guitar doesn't have the original tuners on at the moment, I do have them and they're included in the image set.

Much appreciation for any info you can give

#2 User is offline   80LPC 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:43 PM

That's a beauty ! It is a Special, and it looks consistent with '74 or '75 as it has no fretboard binding.

#3 User is offline   Blackie 

• BANNED
  • Group: Banned
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:05 AM

Nice, your serial on that is coming back from guitar dater project as

Your guitar was made at the
Kalamazoo or Nashville Plant , USA
approximately in: 1970, 1971 or 1972

But it looks like a 76 Special except the bridge on the ETSG site 76

#4 User is offline   TalkyToaster 

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:17 AM

Thanks for the info 80LPC and Blackie, much appreciated. You're obviously well versed in the black arts of gibson spotting. Would I be right in saying this is an uncommon model ? I've not seen many others like it.

#5 User is offline   DAS44 

• Master of the T-Spin
  • LocationUlan Bator, Mongolia

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:19 AM

SSG (Blackie) is an SG master
Dom________________________________________________________________________________
"Where cultural production, at least musically, was full of possibilities by virtue of being able to freely appropriate from the musical past, to make new combinations, and thus new meanings. The story demonstrates that a society, ‘free to borrow and build upon the past is culturally richer than a controlled one.’" - Lawrence Lessig

#6 User is offline   Blackie 

• BANNED
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:48 AM

[quote name='TalkyToaster]Thanks for the info 80LPC and Blackie' date=' much appreciated. You're obviously well versed in the black arts of gibson spotting. Would I be right in saying this is an uncommon model ? I've not seen many others like it.[/quote']

I have'nt seen any around like yours with the black mini humbuckers.

#7 User is offline   Blackie 

• BANNED
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:51 AM

SSG (Blackie) is an SG master

Pffffffftt....there are guy's on here who have forgotten more than I know about SG's
but I'm a learnin............how much I don't know

#8 User is offline   DAS44 

• Master of the T-Spin
  • LocationUlan Bator, Mongolia

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:13 AM

lol
Dom________________________________________________________________________________
"Where cultural production, at least musically, was full of possibilities by virtue of being able to freely appropriate from the musical past, to make new combinations, and thus new meanings. The story demonstrates that a society, ‘free to borrow and build upon the past is culturally richer than a controlled one.’" - Lawrence Lessig

#9 User is offline   jimmiJAMM 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:52 AM

Aint never seen one of those neither. :-"
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
GEAR 1965 Harmony Rocket H59 • 1967 Gibson SG Standard • 2007 Gibson SG Standard • 2006 Martin DR Acoustic • Peavey Classic 20 • MXR Phase 90

#10 User is offline   80LPC 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

The black minis were introduced in 1972. But...some Specials still had P90s, and the bridge could be Tunomatic or Schaller long travel.

http://forums.gibson...sts&t=17427&p=2

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=310164286615

#11 User is offline   TalkyToaster 

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for all your help guys, that's been really useful. Amazing how much variation there is in the range

#12 User is offline   drumrnmuzik 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:45 AM

[quote name='80LPC]The black minis were introduced in 1972. But...some Specials still had P90s' date=' and the bridge could be Tunomatic or Schaller long travel.[/quote']

Is this a Shaller long travel in TalkyToster's pic?

Thanks
Guitars

Gibson J45
Gibson Les Paul Studio Red Wine
Gibson SG Faded
2011 Gibson L6 S
1975 Gibson S1

Drums

1973 Rogers 24"
2003 Mapex 18"

#13 User is offline   80LPC 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:44 AM

Yes, that's the Schaller - sometimes called the 'harmonica' bridge. They are exceptionally well made with 8mm nickel plated brass studs. They were fitted routinely to most SGs from 1972 to 1978. Some LPs also had them.

This one is from my '79 'The SG'.

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Biggles 

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:27 AM

Hi, I saw saw the pix on Flickr and got really excited! I own an identical SG special with the serial 105505 which must have been made the same week if not the same day as yours! I bought mine secondhand in July 1975 (still have the receipt) as a 19 year old in my native Yorkshire and the guitar is still completely original. (let me know if you want to see ant photos) The guitar was not very old at the time and I always thought it was a 73 model because of the schaller bridge. However if you look at the 73 catalogue they had dot inlays. Block inlays came in the 76 catalogue but had a smaller tunamatic bridge on the SG special. Besides I have the 1975 receipt. My best guess is its a late 73/74.
Whats the history on yours?

#15 User is offline   Blackie 

• BANNED
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:19 AM

Hi, I saw saw the pix on Flickr and got really excited! I own an identical SG special with the serial 105505 which must have been made the same week if not the same day as yours! I bought mine secondhand in July 1975 (still have the receipt) as a 19 year old in my native Yorkshire and the guitar is still completely original. (let me know if you want to see ant photos) The guitar was not very old at the time and I always thought it was a 73 model because of the schaller bridge. However if you look at the 73 catalogue they had dot inlays. Block inlays came in the 76 catalogue but had a smaller tunamatic bridge on the SG special. Besides I have the 1975 receipt. My best guess is its a late 73/74.
Whats the history on yours?

Yes post pic's

#16 User is offline   Biggles 

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:15 AM

Here you go.....](*,)

Posted Image

Some more on photobucket....

My SG Special

Hope they are of interest-

#17 User is offline   TalkyToaster 

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:21 AM

Nice one Biggles, they could be twins!

Yours seems to have retained more of the cherry than mine.

I bought it second hand from musical exchanges on snow hill in Birmingham (now the reverb store) in about '85.
It was a choice between the SG and a flying vee but I didn't think I could carry that off !.

The previous owner must have had a pretty limited repertoire as the top two or three frets were worn down to the board on the high strings, which I didn't notice when I bought it (doh !) so I had to get it re-fretted pretty much straight away.

As far as I know it was completely original when I got it, I changed the tuners for gigging because it just wouldn't stay in with the originals. I can't think what possessed me to get gold ones tho : - |

I've just had it serviced by Guitar Studio Evesham and it now plays and sounds like a dream.

#18 User is offline   TalkyToaster 

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:24 AM

Just found this up for sale, described as a standard but looks pretty identical to me

guitar junction sg

#19 User is offline   Biggles 

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:46 AM

Just found this up for sale, described as a standard but looks pretty identical to me

guitar junction sg

Excellent story TalkyToaster. I think yours has seen more action than mine! Work and children got in the way of my musical career.:-"

The one for sale is definitely a Special and not a Standard and I would say it is later than 73 because of the block inlays and the narrow bridge. Looks like 75/76 to me. Interesting price though.... I wonder if it sells for that?

I reckon ours are worth around the £1000-£1100 mark.... tops. It would be nice if I was wrong.

#20 User is offline   L5Larry 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSt. Louis, Missouri

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:49 AM

Nice, your serial on that is coming back from guitar dater project as

Your guitar was made at the
Kalamazoo or Nashville Plant , USA
approximately in: 1970, 1971 or 1972

But it looks like a 76 Special except the bridge on the ETSG site 76

This information is only partially correct.

The 100,000 serial numbers were also used in '73, '74, and early '75. In mid 1975 Gibson changed their entire serial number format to an eight digit number with a two digit prefix for the year code. "99" was 1975, "00" was 1976. "06" was for 1977.

Open up the control plate and look at the pot codes. The fourth and fifth digits are the last two numbers of the year they were manufactured, and the last two digits are the week of that year. With the mess that was six digit Gibson serial numbers, that made be your best, and only way, to accurately date this guitar.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users