Gibson Brands Forums

NYC Accent

deepblue

Heres a question to all New Yorkers...

Why is it that some of you have accents and some of you dont?

I saw an interview on the telly with a native New Yorker...Hes lived there all of his life and he had none....zero, accent.

Yet, some guys have thick, heavy accents.

Im not knocking it, dont get me wrong but I just wondered why some have it, some do not.

Got a Bahhhst'n guy on my crew at work, been out here over 20 years and still sounds like a Kennedy.

Hmmmm....

I still get "outted" as a Texan after all these years - though I'm not and never was one really.

Okay, to be fair, most of my family is from there along with some Oklahomans but I grew up in SW Kansas.

That farm county is about as accent neutral as it gets!

Well, in my early 20's I moved to Houston for a job and worked all over the state for more than a dozen years.

Don't get me wrong - I can identify with the whole stereotypical Texan thing better than any other state...

O:)/

I was in Scotland for 3 weeks about ten years ago, over there I had several people ask me if I was from Texas.

They didn't ask if I was from the South, or from Georgia, or Arkansas.

Texas.

Wow, there must be something to it.

Been in Arizona for a decade now, and still get the same thing here.

Even called a redneck now and then.

Now, I know what a redneck is - plenty of 'em in my own family - and I ain't one....

Oh well, Arizona has a population that is from everywhere else, so they only know what they know.

There are very few Arizona natives here because of the population explosion over the last 30 years.

(Mrs. Neo is one of the few)

I've warmed up to the redneck stereotype, especially during the previous Administration.

I've come to embrace it and enjoy it - probably more than I should.

Let 'em "misunderestimate" me all they want to.... :-k

:D/ :D

Same in R.I. For instance, within the same area, some people will go to the bank, while others go to the bee-ank. Some (myself included) go to get a grinder, while others get a sub. "Cohs 'y got 'th swamp yahnkees ovah thayah cahnt seem t' speak with a dahn, at least understandably. When I lived in California, everyone there thought I was from New York, a friend of mine from here lives in San Diego, been there almost 30 years, and STILL has a thick Boston accent, we both grew up in Connecticut right over the border from R.I.

It's a social thing... If you grow up on Park Avenue you wont have an accent. If you grow up in the Bronx you will.

That's pretty much it.

I was born and raised in Hell's Kitchen, Westside of Manhattan, I've got it pretty good.

If you were born and raised in the NYC chances are you'll have a some degree of the NYC accent.

How much depends what part you grew up around...

It's much more prevalent in the lower/middle class areas.

You hear it much less in the more affluent areas.

The kid from Bayside Queens isnt going to have it as much as the kid from bensonhurst Brooklyn.

Got a Bahhhst'n guy on my crew at work' date=' been out here over 20 years and still sounds like a Kennedy.

Hmmmm....

I still get "outted" as a Texan after all these years - though I'm not and never was one really.

Okay, to be fair, most of my family is from there along with some Oklahomans but I grew up in SW Kansas.

That farm county is about as accent neutral as it [i']gets[/i]!

Well, in my early 20's I moved to Houston for a job and worked all over the state for more than a dozen years.

Don't get me wrong - I can identify with the whole stereotypical Texan thing better than any other state...

[-(/

I was in Scotland for 3 weeks about ten years ago, over there I had several people ask me if I was from Texas.

They didn't ask if I was from the South, or from Georgia, or Arkansas.

Texas.

Wow, there must be something to it.

Been in Arizona for a decade now, and still get the same thing here.

Even called a redneck now and then.

Now, I know what a redneck is - plenty of 'em in my own family - and I ain't one....

Oh well, Arizona has a population that is from everywhere else, so they only know what they know.

There are very few Arizona natives here because of the population explosion over the last 30 years.

(Mrs. Neo is one of the few)

I've warmed up to the redneck stereotype, especially during the previous Administration.

I've come to embrace it and enjoy it - probably more than I should.

Let 'em "misunderestimate" me all they want to.... :-

:-$/ :-

Have you recently checked your front yard for rusted out cars!!!!!;-)

Heres a question to all New Yorkers...

Why is it that some of you have accents and some of you dont?

I saw an interview on the telly with a native New Yorker...Hes lived there all of his life and he had none....zero' date=' accent.

Yet, some guys have thick, heavy accents.

Im not knocking it, dont get me wrong but I just wondered why some have it, some do not.[/quote']

Deepblue everyone has an accent though don't they?

Matt

Guess I could ask why some Canadians do and don't. What's that aboot?

True. Im from Toronto, I dont say "aboot"...I find people from rural parts of Canada talk like that.

Same with the "eh?"....

I call it lazy talk and I can only take it in small doses.

Deepblue everyone has an accent though don't they?

Yes Matt, but my question was about New York City in general. The same city, but some have accents and some do not.

When I was living in Kent I got used to their accents...I loved them in fact. Then I spent a week in Manchester!!

A whole new ball game. I really had to pay attention, but that too you get used to after a while.

Dont get me wrong fellas...Im not mocking anyones city or country, I just find it interesting.

I think the NY accent you referr to is actually regional within one of NY's borroughs. Its kind of like English Cockney accent. It comes from a very blue collar section of London that hasn't had the school district 'correct' them in their tutoring. Your friend might not have grown up in that borrough. Maybe someone from the Big Apple can shed some light.

Had a married couple friends who came from the south, moved north, then had a family. 6 years at home with maw and paw gave him an accent. First day of school, he was put in special ed to de-drawlify him.

It din't work, y'all. He was in the Army for 3 or 4 years, is now married and about 25 years old. He still calls his deceased dad, "Daddy" and his mom "Mommy". I don't think any less of him for it. Actually, I find ones that refer to their folks as "Mommy and Daddy" even into adult hood have more respect for their parents than a lot of folks.

True. Im from Toronto' date=' I dont say "aboot"...I find people from rural parts of Canada talk like that.

Same with the "eh?"....

I call it lazy talk and I can only take it in small doses.

Yes Matt, but my question was about New York City in general. The same city, but some have accents and some do not.

When I was living in Kent I got used to their accents...I loved them in fact. Then I spent a week in Manchester!!

A whole new ball game. I really had to pay attention, but that too you get used to after a while.

Dont get me wrong fellas...Im not mocking anyones city or country, I just find it interesting.[/quote']

Yeah, at work I have to order parts sometimes out of Vancouver B. C. and you can tell right away with them.

A boot' date=' eh?

Laney, Mrs. Neo LOVES your avatar![/quote']

Thank you!! I wish I had taken it. Looks just like my Pearl (Chihuahua).

Pearlybug.jpg

I think if I tried to put makeup on her it would break her will though..She is very sensative about her looks.:-

Archived