Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Elegant questions

thomaso

Hello,

i will soon own this Les Paul Elegant ( #42026), and i have a few questions:

- What is the neck shape, and how does it compare with the rounded of the Les Paul Custom and the 60' of the Class 5 ( the 2 only Les Paul i have played)

- Does this Elegant have the long tenon neck?

thanks a lot!

420261cz1.th.jpg

Thanks!

I never tried a USA LP standard... just hope the neck is not a base-ball batt!

if a user can tell me more about the playability, and can compare it to the 60' neck, or the LP custom neck, would great!

Thomaso,

First, I'd like to say: What a BEAUTIFUL Guitar: congrats in advance of you pciking it up, if you haven't already.

Second: I have an elegant that is Green or teal, depending on light.

3rdly: FWIW, my elegant's neck is smaller than my LP Darkness. Now that's a tree-trunk of a neck, BUT, for two different necks, they each play wonderfully.

Hi,

i received the Elegant today, but, when verifying if it has the long tenon, i constated that the pickups are not Classic 57.

They are Burstbucker ( #1 wound by PS in the neck, #2 wound by PS in the Bridge)

Why this choice from the Custom Shop? Do they choose the right set of pickups according a sound try, and they think: " these pickups would be better for these guitar", or it is an error that occurs frequently in the Custom Shop?

Thanks for the explanations!

Thomas

it's possible that previous owner changed them (unless you are the first owner, of course)...or it's possible that the pickup spec changed at some point on these (my spec info on these is VERY incomplete)...or it's possible that someone here mistakenly put BBs in instead of '57s...

Ok thanks

I'm the first owner

Fortunately' date=' i'm a big fan of Burstbuckers ( which are on my Class 5), but i wanted to explore new tones with a different lutherie and pickups...that's lousy for the pickups![/quote']

The pickups should sound different between your two guitars. The Elegant is chambered which will alter the tone, and it has an ebony fretboard which should add a tiny bit of difference to it as well, when compared to your Class 5. The ebony might add a bit of brightness to the tone, although not everyone hears a difference since it can be subtle. The chambering should add a fair bit of brightness. I have several reissues with 57 Classics, and my Elegant is a lot brighter than they are. The chambering also gives the guitar a bit of a blend between a 335 and an LP, IMO. Congrats on the guitar, enjoy it.

I don't have tested the Elegant amplified with my band yet, soon coming, but all i can say is that the unplugged sound is amazing: very good projection, even more bass than the Class 5, and not as much treble ( i thought that it would the opposite!) It's a really great tone that promise very great tone amplified!

The touch of ebony is different than rosewood, and i prefer the ebony, because it feels tight and focused, and the hands move more easily on the neck IMO ( it's very presonnal and subjective!)

It's really an amazing souding and great looking looking guitar, and the neck, even if it is bigger than the 60', is as much, if not better, confortable.

So, very happy to have extend my Les Paul "collection" with this model!

• 9 years later...

Hey thomaso!

I happened across your post when searching for info on my LP Eleant. I own # CS42025! I bought it second hand. I think I got a good deal on it. It is a beautiful Cherry Sunburst with an ebony fretboard with gorgeous abalone inlays, Grover tuners and gold volume and tone knobs. I am not sure of the pickups though. How can I tell what kind of pickups I have? The only flaw that It has is a lip going from the neck binding to the wood of the neck. It does not affect the playing but is annoying to me. I have been in Quality Control for any years! What was the list price on these guitars?

Thanks for any responses to this newbie

Archived