Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard Neck Width ?

DAK

Hi All,

I've been searching these forums for info for a week now and this is my first post.

I've dreamed of owning a Les Paul now for years and I've finally made the decision to buy ! I'm going to buy a 2008 Les Paul Standard as they seem to be a good "all-rounder " which is basic etc etc (Im only a hack)

I was wondering what Neck Profile they are ? I can't find anything to determine whether its a 50's (thicker neck) or a 60's (thinner neck).

Does anyone know ? and feel free to share any thoughts you may have on the Les Paul Standard also.

Thanks for reading.

Regards

Dylan

Thanks' date=' for the reply. I understand that relates to radius of the neck, is the fret board wider like on the 50's style LP's or narrower as on the 60's LP's. Dylan[/quote']

Perhaps you're mixing your terms. The width of the fretboard, usually described in terms of the width measured across the nut, is the same on all of them: 1-11/16". A small difference here is really noticeable - compare any current Gibson to a wider fingerstyle acoustic with a full 1-3/4" nut or a skinny old Hagstrom or vintage Telecaster with a 1-5/8" nut and you'll feel the difference instantly. But again, the fingerboard width does not change appreciably on the 50's or 60's necks for Les Pauls (ok, Historic gurus, don't beat me up over the thicker neck binding issue).

The neck "radius" is the curvature of the fretboard across the frets, and again on Gibsons that's going to be a consistent 12" radius (compared to 9-1/2" on current Fenders or 7-1/4" on vintage ones). This is truly a section of a circle, hence the term "radius." The word is not commonly used to describe the shape of the back of the neck (that's a polite way of saying it's wrong to call a neck profile a neck radius).

The "profile" is the shape of the back of the neck and the thickness of the neck front to back - and that's where you're going to find broad variations in different models. The Standard used to come with 50's neck or 60 slim-taper necks, but no longer. The Traditional has a fat 50's neck. The Classic (discontinued) had a 60's slim taper neck. The new '08 redesigned standard has the asymmetrical neck that's not really fat, not really slim. You should be able to get your hands on each of these (literally) at any big guitar shop. Don't be confused by the designations on the Custom Shop Historic models - as a rule they are all much thicker than the GibsonUSA production models (and there are three of those - early fifties, fifty-nine, and sixty).

Hope that helps.

Archived