Gibson Brands Forums

My "new" 2004 Les Paul Special SL - What does the SL stand for?

old mark

Just bought a black 2004 Gibson Les Paul Special SL - the humbucker variety, and it's being delivered. It has a very thin finish - you can see the mahogany grain through it - and the guitar it in great condition, but what does the SL mean? I know they are now discontinued, and I'm hoping it's everything the '80's models were - I was buying one then, and moved and forgot about it for several years, and of course it was sold (got my money back, too.) I liked the size and the neck was very fast on them. Anybody have one?

Any info on them or the SL is appreciated - thanks.

mark

I have one with the Natural finish. I've heard SL stood for "sans lacquer". I've also heard "studio light". Probably the 1st. They were made for Musicians Friend and G.C. and were discontinued by 07'. They are a flattop L.P. without the maple cap, but with a slim tapper 60s' neck. Sold for $599. new. I put 57s' on mine. Kind of a weak funky finish, but a good guitar. Now Gibson sells the "new" L.P. Traditional Pro exclusively through Musicians Friend and G.C. Is Sandy any relation to Linda? I liked Linda. She could do some pretty neat stuff!

OK, what's the difference between the SL an the Faded?

I see the SL has a small trapezoid inlaid neck - mine has dots, so I guess it's a Faded after all. Gibson's name game?

I intend to play it, so it makes little difference, just curous.

mark

I have one with the Natural finish. I've heard SL stood for "sans lacquer". I've also heard "studio light". Probably the 1st. They were made for Musicians Friend and G.C. and were discontinued by 07'. They are a flattop L.P. without the maple cap' date=' but with a slim tapper 60s' neck. Sold for $599. new. I put 57s' on mine. Kind of a weak funky finish, but a good guitar. Now Gibson sells the "new" L.P. Traditional Pro exclusively through Musicians Friend and G.C. Is Sandy any relation to Linda? I liked Linda. She could do some pretty neat stuff![/quote']

Yea Their Sisters=p~

OK' date=' what's the difference between the SL an the Faded?

I see the SL has a small trapezoid inlaid neck - mine has dots, so I guess it's a Faded after all. Gibson's name game?

I intend to play it, so it makes little difference, just curous.

mark[/quote']

The "fadeds' are exactly the same guitar but came with the dots, as you noticed. They also had the cherryish finish and the yeller finish ones like Rockys' up there in the photos. All flat tops with 60's slim tapper necks and 490s pu. I think the 1st place, in the finish, that goes is where you rest your little pinkie below the strings. I suppose you could get a pick guard thing, but I like to see as much wood as possible.

I have an 2005 les paul special sl. According to Gibson its all Mahogany (and it is a Slab)

and Came with the 498T/490R pickup Combo and the one I have is not a Faded Model.

The Finish is Messed up. Looks like Someone Used Regular Car Wax.

Thats why I got it For 300 Dollars but its not Satin.

It Has the Nitro Finish. Here it is the Way I got it a month ago.

0786.jpg

0075.jpg

I pulled the 498T & put in a 490T with the tone Control hooked Straight to the Volume Control

and Added a (wrong orville) pickgaurd and a PA-2 Boost.

000_7260.jpg

and this Think Smokes. Real nice Tone out of it and Intonates

and Plays nice. Not Much to Look at Though.

• 6 months later...

hey guys......i've got a favor to ask you.......i've got this les paul in black finish, flat top and dot inlays. I wanna change the pots and i already desoldered the older ones, the problem is that i don't remember how to solder the wires again. and this guitar is very rare, it has no plate and the wires are different from other les pauls, can anyone send reply with a picture of the circuits???

Ok guys and girls...I need to let you all in on a little secret of mine...

THE SL REALLY IS MY INITIALS...IT'S AN ARTIST MODEL NAMED AFTER ME

I knew someone would finally ask that question sooner or later ....Doh!!!

Now I better ask Gibson for my kickback of $$$$$

I love it' date=' I can't wait to see what the guitar will look like in 10/20 years.[/quote']

Well I don't know, but judging by those pictures I predict there will just be a pile of sawdust where that guitar once stood . . . lol!!!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm bidding on a black 2004 Gibson Les Paul Special on eBay. I'm hoping to get it fairly cheap and only 2.5 days left. The lead singer and guitar player for Blackberry Smoke plays a black Gibson Les Paul Special, but it has dots on the fretboard...not like the trapezoid inlays or whatever like on the newer ones. Charlie Starr from BBS sure gets a great tone from his LP Special. Maybe if it don't get too high, I'll buy her. Billie Joe Armstrong likes them Les Paul Specials too. Hmmmm. We'll see...maybe.

I'm bidding on a black 2004 Gibson Les Paul Special on eBay. I'm hoping to get it fairly cheap and only 2.5 days left. The lead singer and guitar player for Blackberry Smoke plays a black Gibson Les Paul Special, but it has dots on the fretboard...not like the trapezoid inlays or whatever like on the newer ones. Charlie Starr from BBS sure gets a great tone from his LP Special. Maybe if it don't get too high, I'll buy her. Billie Joe Armstrong likes them Les Paul Specials too. Hmmmm. We'll see...maybe.

Hi, StLucifer...bearer of light.

Just want to encourage your interest. [thumbup] I bought my '98 LPSpecial with P90s in nitro TV Yellow on eBay and am very pleased. The seller had added shielding and put a Seymour Duncan P90 in the neck, where I happen to spend a lot of tone-time.

I vetted him pretty carefully before pulling the $600 trigger and it worked out really well.

Be careful, patient and keep shining your light so you catch the details. And keep us posted.

Cheers,

Archived