Gibson Brands Forums

The best Les Paul model...

Alekseriator

I've played four different amazing setups at my local Guitar Center.

Les Paul Classic (through a Marshall JVM410H)

Les Paul Axcess (through an Egnated Tourmaster Combo)

Les Paul Traditional Pro (through a Blackstar HT-5. I now own that amp and I need a better guitar. I don't have a gibson.........yet)

Les Paul Studio modded with Vintage Voicings (such as Bumble Bee Capacitors)(through a Blackstar HT-5)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tend to say custom because the playability and comfort seem superior.

And the sound made lifting wigs. #-o

Tend to agree....having sold my Heritage Cherry Standard to buy a 57 VOS Custom.

Prinicipally for me because there is no comparison between the qulaity of the neck particulary with respect to the fretting.

The guitar really is aptly described as "The Fretless wonder" IMO. [biggrin]

BEFORE

X100B2.jpg

AFTER

VOS12.jpg

Many people in this thread (and elsewhere...) who have played / owned both Standards & Customs claim that the Customs are the the most comfortable AND also the best sounding guitars between the 2. Interesting... I was alwasy under the impression that only minor details separated the both but it seems that the price difference is well justified.

Perhaps I will be able to afford one, someday... [-o<

• 3 weeks later...
What do u reckon?

I was lucky enough to just get a figured-top 2008,without the cicuit board electronics gargage,etc. It's the Standard that is

really traditional,without the strap locks,tone-pros, locking input jack- a real flamed-out standard! If you want to put on strap-locks after the fact, that's a no brainer. B ut why mess with a guitar that has done the job, and made history for decades! That's like painting a beauty-mark on the Mona Lisa! I'm just glad I got one of the last "original" Standards", and whoever is happy with the new "Traditional", more power to them. Scott K Perry

Many people in this thread (and elsewhere...) who have played / owned both Standards & Customs claim that the Customs are the the most comfortable AND also the best sounding guitars between the 2. Interesting... I was alwasy under the impression that only minor details separated the both but it seems that the price difference is well justified.

I think you nailed it because there's not a lot of differences between them.

Except price, which is a BIG difference! ;)

Archived