• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

500T and 496R Your Opinions

#21 User is offline   icantbuyafender 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

Honestly, They are the farthest from vintage tone other than Dirty Fingers and Iommi pickups.

I prefer a set of 490R/490T. This pair is a jack of all trades, and covers a large range of music genres.

Cheap to buy compared to the 57's/BBPro's/BB1,2,3.

A second hand pair with vintage style wiring runs like ~$75 on fleabay

(4-wire is sold as an accessory, and vintage wire are stock equipment)

Good for Mr. B.B.King. Good enough for me.

#22 User is offline   Falcatta 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:02 AM

These pickups are amazing. I have gone out of my way to replace the stock pickups in 2 Studios and a Double neck with these. The added punch is just perfect. I have one classic with the pickups exposed and it is the perfect metal guitar. On the other 3 LP's I covered them and it mellows them out just enough to get a good solid OD sound but also have a nice clean Blues bottom end on the 496R. Granted I have never been so tied to the classic LP 50's and 60's pickup sound. With my Marshalls I can dial in whatever I want with these pickups and the range is much greater then the stock pickups in the standard and studio.

#23 User is offline   Patdevast 

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:57 AM

I have 500T/496R in my Gibson Explorer. I don't play hard styles, only rock or hardrock and these pups are amazing. I don't like hi gain setup on my combo and this pups allow me to play with nice sustain and really powerfull distortion with optimal combo setup. In my opinion it's best pups combination of full-mahogany guitars.

Pat

#24 User is offline   BentonC 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Customer Service Team

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

In general- they tend to run a little hot and bright for my tastes. But, they are great for harder edged material, and can even lend themselves to a really nice clear and sparkly clean tone through the right rig.

#25 User is offline   Nebula 

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:21 AM

Has anyone ever seen a 500t stock with pup covers? did they originally come in any of the guitars with covers?

#26 User is offline   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

I have a 1960 Classic and love the pups and the guitar... It SCREAMS when it wants too and can actually be mellow with the right settings. It has the best range in terms of sound than any of my other guitars.. You get all the Highs, Mids and Lows and it only gets better with age [thumbup]

I can undertsand why people think they are too much but for me they are great.. Also I used to think my Classic was a solid body before I came on here.. But it weighs so much I dont undertsand how it cant be lol :)
"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix

#27 User is offline   SuavoCaster 

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:11 AM

If you think the 496R is too hot and too muddy, you might try to lower it down towards the guitar body, further away from the strings.
I have a Les Paul with 490R and 498T.
The 490 in the front sounded a bit hard, and very easily got muddy with gain. But then I lowered it away from the strings, so that now it is almost flat with the Pick Up ring.
And now it sounds really nice and clear, and doesn't get muddy with gain.
I know the 498 is hotter than the 490, but you could try to lower it and see what happens.

#28 User is offline   lebron 

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Explorers are awesome guitars. Perfectly balanced and very light (compared to my Les Pauls). I have 2: 1 is from 93 and i keep the stock pickups (496R, 500T - awesome combo) the other is from 1984 and I have 2 Dirty Fingers in there which just scream when you push them. Explorers are my favorite Gibson next to a Les Paul.

#29 User is offline   Jammin' Joe 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

I bought a set of 500/496's off ebay out of a Classic and put them in a Korean Epi LP with 50's wiring. For hard rock and metal it's my best sounding guitar.

#30 User is offline   EthanBrackett 

• Vintage Member
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

i love the 496R for almost all of what i do in blues rock (now, when i say blues rock... imagine more blues... rock/metal) the 496R with the tone rolled back on a clean setting is great for my clean sounds, and the 500T again, with the tone rolled back A LITTLE! is good for my fast pace lead settings. Yes the 500T sometimes seems too loud i mostly stick with the rhyme position when playing. even during solos I've found myself sticking with the 496R more so then the 500T. I must confess however, that part of why i have done so, is because of how they sit in my flying V. they are tilted back towards the bridge. I've got a cover for the neck which seems to fix the problem, and even the ill fitting bridge cover, when just sat in the pickup as a mock-up seems to correct the problem. I cannot however, seem to find a cover with the correct spacing for my 500T (if it is in fact a 500T. almost 100% sure though. but it was previously owned before it came to my hands. so who knows what it is...)

Assuming it is in fact a 496R and a 500T in my '06 V i Love em. ****/5

why 4/5? because Gibson does not sell the 500T with a cover factory installed! GET ON THIS GIBSON! PLEASE!? thank you \m/
*2006 Gibson Faded Flying V ('67 vibrola full retrofitted)
*Vineyard SG Wine Red gloss
*Marshall MG50-DFX, Fender Frontman 25R
=saving for a reissue '58 V=

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users