Gibson Brands Forums

500T and 496R Your Opinions

nitro

I just ordered a 2008 Gibson les paul classic in honeyburst and the 500t and 496r are the standard pickups on the les paul classic what are your opinions on those pickups.These are the same pickups used on the 1st jimmy page signature les paul that came out in 1995.

IMO, neither of those pups have a "classic" sound, ceramic mags, lots of wire on the 500T. If you play metal, those may be the pickups for you. The 500T is a very strong pickup, almost to the point of blurring your sound.

Very sensitive. Very loud. If you use alot of gain on your amp, you might not like them, as you won't have alot of definition.

I had a 496r, replaced the ceramic mag with an A5, and I use it as my bridge pup now, very happy with it.

If you are truly looking for the Jimmy Page tone, those aren't the pups for you.

keep in mind that Jimmy Page washed his hands of the guitar you speak of.

i love the way my Classic looks, but i dont like the way it sounds. the PUs are too harsh and grating for my ears. I like more vintage sounds from a LP, which is why I like the BB Pros. For heavier stuff, I have my LP Studio and SG with the 490/498 combo.

• 1 year later...

I never in my life understood WHY they (Gibson) used or Jimmy Page used metal pickups like the 496R/500T in his signature guitar. It was a joke to think Jimmy freakin Page would be using a setup fit for Slayer, as Jimmy Page was never heavy as in high gain. Biggest blunder in Gibson history. Same difference for the Joe Perry Signature model that was released that same year. 496R/500T pickups which I had to laugh as again, he was never a metal player.

IMO' date=' neither of those pups have a "classic" sound, ceramic mags, lots of wire on the 500T. If you play metal, those may be the pickups for you. The 500T is a very strong pickup, almost to the point of blurring your sound.

Very sensitive. Very loud. If you use alot of gain on your amp, you might not like them, as you won't have alot of definition.

I had a 496r, replaced the ceramic mag with an A5, and I use it as my bridge pup now, very happy with it.

If you are truly looking for the Jimmy Page tone, those aren't the pups for you. [/quote']

• 1 month later...

love them.

I can understand why Gibson put them out.

My Heritage H-150 has Duncans and it bothers me that the posts on the duncan pickups don't line up under the strings like the Gibson pickups do. the Duncans were made to try and be for all guitars while the Gibsons actually fit because they were created for that application.

I happen to prefer the loudest passive pickups I can find...when i am playing jazz, worship, rock, or metal.

It really depends on your style of playing as they are high output pickups. My experience with them is they are clear sounding, I have them in my Explorer that I am selling (check out the trading post). I found that changing the cap in the guitar made a world of difference with those particular pickups. Otherwise I am fan of Burstbuckers and P-90s

• 8 months later...

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought I was going insane. I thought to myself when I first got my 1960 Classic with the 496R/500T, "who sounded like this in 1960, or ever really?". I bought the 1960 Classic for one reason; it was the only Les Paul Standard I could find that hadn't been routed out or whatever they call it when they drill out 8 or 10 cylinders of mahogany (about 3/4" in diameter I think) to lighten the guitar. This was in about 2006 and the only way you could get a Les Paul Standard type guitar complete with all the wood, was to buy a custom shop for twice the price. Thanks to the heads up guy at Musicans Friend who knew this and told me. I loved everything about the drilled out Standard except for that weight thing they did, which ruined the guitar, IMHO. I feel that if you can't hold one of these all night you shouldn't be playing a Les Paul. To me, part of the beauty of a "real" Les Paul is it's weight. Yeah, it's over the top but it gives the guitar a tonal quality that only the weight can give it.

You want to love, or at least like these pickups and you try but your faithful, good ear won't let you. I can't imagine Jimmy Page ever being in the same room with these pickups. I can best describe these pickups as very "cold" with absolutely no personality. Just blah.

The 1960 Classic Les Paul guitar is a very well kept secret - fantastic guitar, great 60's neck, but the pickups will not move you in any way (except to the nearest store that sells replacement pickups). I really like alnico humbuckers with equally wound coils, like the Seymour Duncan '59er - that is such a sweet sounding pickup. I have a LP copy (an Edwards made by ESP - Japan) with the Duncan 59'er in the neck and a Duncan JB in the bridge - very common and typical pairing, and although I hate the neck on the ESP, the pickups sound fabulous. I would rate the '57 Classics as average because of the uneven coil windings - just something I don't like about them. I'm not crazy about the 490R/498T but the 490R is pretty nice - good tone but can get muddy when you crank it - it's almost too hot. At least it has personality unlike the 496R/500T.

I'm of the feeling that once you acquire pickups as good as the Duncans, you would be wise to spend the rest of your time working on your imagination and technique. Things you can't buy.

I have these in a '91 LP Classic 1960 and can't stand them in this guitar. I'm currently ready to try 490's and 490/498 combo to see if I like that set-up. I already tried BB Pro's and wasn't what I'm looking for.

The 500/496 combo is a lousey set IMHO, I have an LP jr with a Duncan Distortion and it sounds 10x's better the the 500T. 500/496 might sound better in another guitar but should have never been associated with LP's.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought I was going insane. I thought to myself when I first got my 1960 Classic with the 496R/500T' date=' "who sounded like this in 1960, or ever really?". I bought the 1960 Classic for one reason; it was the only Les Paul Standard I could find that hadn't been routed out or whatever they call it when they drill out 8 or 10 cylinders of mahogany (about 3/4" in diameter I think) to lighten the guitar. This was in about 2006 and the only way you could get a Les Paul Standard type guitar complete with all the wood, was to buy a custom shop for twice the price. Thanks to the heads up guy at Musicans Friend who knew this and told me. I loved everything about the drilled out Standard except for that weight thing they did, which ruined the guitar, IMHO. I feel that if you can't hold one of these all night you shouldn't be playing a Les Paul. To me, part of the beauty of a "real" Les Paul is it's weight. Yeah, it's over the top but it gives the guitar a tonal quality that only the weight can give it.

You want to love, or at least like these pickups and you try but your faithful, good ear won't let you. I can't imagine Jimmy Page ever being in the same room with these pickups. I can best describe these pickups as very "cold" with absolutely no personality. Just blah.

The 1960 Classic Les Paul guitar is a very well kept secret - fantastic guitar, great 60's neck, but the pickups will not move you in any way (except to the nearest store that sells replacement pickups). I really like alnico humbuckers with equally wound coils, like the Seymour Duncan '59er - that is such a sweet sounding pickup. I have a LP copy (an Edwards made by ESP - Japan) with the Duncan 59'er in the neck and a Duncan JB in the bridge - very common and typical pairing, and although I hate the neck on the ESP, the pickups sound fabulous. I would rate the '57 Classics as average because of the uneven coil windings - just something I don't like about them. I'm not crazy about the 490R/498T but the 490R is pretty nice - good tone but can get muddy when you crank it - it's almost too hot. At least it has personality unlike the 496R/500T.

I'm of the feeling that once you acquire pickups as good as the Duncans, you would be wise to spend the rest of your time working on your imagination and technique. Things you can't buy.[/quote']

Sorry to break this to you dude but the Classic 1960's are "weight relieved". That is they are called "swiss cheezed", or have 9 drilled holes in the body.

Are you upset? Don't be, Most Gibson USA and some Custom Shop LesPauls including Standards, Traditionals and Classics, etc made after 1982 are swissed cheezed.

I have a Classic 1960, made in 92. I had it weighed at 9.24 lbs. Pretty darn heavy for a swissed. It still sounds great, and fully LesPaul. The only way your are going to find a true solid body Lespaul is in the Historics, but that will run you $4K plus.

Cheers, P

• 1 month later...

My 2001 Classic weighs 9.63 lbs. My 1987 Standard weighs 9.77 lbs. My 1978 Standard weighs 9.67 lbs. All weights done on a digital scale. I personally think they should have just called it weight balancing. The only true weight relieved guitars are the new chambered ones that drop the weight down to the 7 lb range. As far as tone goes, my 78 without holes and 87 with holes (which have the same pickups in them) sound so identical that no one would ever be able to tell the difference. I haven't had a chance to play the 7 lb one through my rig, though, and am curious to give one a try as that 3 less pounds might come in handy for those triple encore nights.

• 1 month later...
Guest rogerb

Hi Nitro, As you can tell pickers either love em' or hate em'. The 500T is a ceramic high output pickup with a DC resistance of about 14.8k. That's getting into the super distortion range. They sound good dirty but are a bit dark when played clean. If these pickups are not your preference, you might trying either the burstbuckers or the 57 PAF's. Burstbucker Pro will have more bite and brilliance and the 57's will be warmer, emphasis on lower mid range.

I have a 1996 Classic w the 500 @ the bridge, and play through my Marshall DSL50 halfstack (alternative rock/blues). I absolutely love the sound/tone. It's all of preference and music genre, I think. I found that most don't like it here on the forum. I love it. Whenever I start playing, I don't want to put it down. Anyways, good luck...love the BB pro's, they rock also.

• 7 months later...

Honestly, They are the farthest from vintage tone other than Dirty Fingers and Iommi pickups.

I prefer a set of 490R/490T. This pair is a jack of all trades, and covers a large range of music genres.

Cheap to buy compared to the 57's/BBPro's/BB1,2,3.

A second hand pair with vintage style wiring runs like ~$75 on fleabay

(4-wire is sold as an accessory, and vintage wire are stock equipment)

Good for Mr. B.B.King. Good enough for me.

• 1 month later...

These pickups are amazing. I have gone out of my way to replace the stock pickups in 2 Studios and a Double neck with these. The added punch is just perfect. I have one classic with the pickups exposed and it is the perfect metal guitar. On the other 3 LP's I covered them and it mellows them out just enough to get a good solid OD sound but also have a nice clean Blues bottom end on the 496R. Granted I have never been so tied to the classic LP 50's and 60's pickup sound. With my Marshalls I can dial in whatever I want with these pickups and the range is much greater then the stock pickups in the standard and studio.

• 8 months later...

I have 500T/496R in my Gibson Explorer. I don't play hard styles, only rock or hardrock and these pups are amazing. I don't like hi gain setup on my combo and this pups allow me to play with nice sustain and really powerfull distortion with optimal combo setup. In my opinion it's best pups combination of full-mahogany guitars.

Pat

Guest BentonC

In general- they tend to run a little hot and bright for my tastes. But, they are great for harder edged material, and can even lend themselves to a really nice clear and sparkly clean tone through the right rig.

• 1 year later...