Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Guitar a Gibson F-50

rjunsinn

Hi Everyone,

A friend just gave me this Guitar. I think it is probably an old Gibson F-50. Unfortunately, I can not see any kind of model number on the instrument. The only thing I see which might be a serial number is an ink stamp inside, just below the bottom f-hole. That number is very faded and difficult to read, but as far as I can tell it says: Y8310 25

I'm pretty sure about most of the characters except for that first Y... But that's what it looks like to me.

It came setup for jazz with round-wound strings and an old DeAlmond Model 1000 pickup.

Except for the knobs on the tuners (which will crumble in my hand when I touch them), the instrument seems to be in fine condition. The frets and fretboard seem to have very little wear.

Here is a link to some stills I put out on YouTube:

I tried uploading those same images to this forum, but I am not sure they are all 'viewable'.

Can anyone out there verify this is an F-50 and the approximate year of manufacture?

Also, does anyone know where I can get replacement tuning pegs. They are '3 on a plate' strip type of tuners.

Many thanks!

RJ

It's a Gibson L-50:

52L50.jpg

Should be a 1954 model' date=' acc. to the Factory Order Number you provided.

Looks somewhat modified.

More info here:http://www.archtop.com/ac_52L50.html

Fred[/quote']

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the info... I can not say if the axe has been modified or not, since I don't know its history. All the hardware looks to be quite original. I noticed the 1952 model you show has the trapezoidal fingerboard inlays and each tuner is individually mounted, whereas the neck on my instrument has dots and the tuners are of the 'three on a plate' variety...

So to me it looks like my model may be a little older (or perhaps not such a 'delux' model). Of course, those observations are moot if (as you suspect) the guitar has been modified.

Does anyone else out there have any opinions?

Thanks!

RJ

Archived