Gibson Brands Forums

Getting my J-45 drilled for a strap button: I need counseling

kebob

I'm contemplating having a local luthier put a strap button in the tailstock of my J-45. I've been using the strap around the headstock, but I don't like the way it feels or hangs or the way it looks.

But I'm struggling with the idea of drilling a hole in my beloved Gibson. I need somebody to say something to the effect of "it's OK, adding a strap button will not ruin your guitar."

This may be a dumb question, but does adding a strap button depreciate the value of the guitar?

I'm contemplating having a local luthier put a strap button in the tailstock of my J-45. I've been using the strap around the headstock' date=' but I don't like the way it feels or hangs or the way it looks.

But I'm struggling with the idea of drilling a hole in my beloved Gibson. I need somebody to say something to the effect of "it's OK, adding a strap button will not ruin your guitar."

This may be a dumb question, but does adding a strap button depreciate the value of the guitar? [/quote']

Don't think it's ruined any of mine.

At least not as much as when the strap flies of the headstock and the J45 hits the concrete!

A properly fitted strap locked to the button is the trick.

The purists might disagree but hell it's your guitar!

Go for position number 5 as shown in the photo below... bottom side of the neck heel by the high e side of the guitar. My luthier put on in my Advanced Jumbo in less than 5 minutes and only charged me a couple bucks for the holder. He also put a felt washer between the guitar and metal of the holder. Works great and it will not hurt the value of your guitar. I know many people here put them in themselves, but I don't have that much faith in my wood working skills to try that on my Gibsons... my Yamaha, yes, my Gibsons or Taylor.... No Way....

Straplocation_1.jpg

Strapbolt_location.jpg

I put one on my AJ, & immediately regretted doing it.

I don't mind putting a strap on the headstock.

To each, his, or her, own.

Just a matter of personal taste.

It's not hard to do, just don't drill any deeper than is necessary.

Some people just don't like them or use them. Others prefer the strap around the headstock by the nut. I can't stand that way and have a button at the neck heel on all my guitars except the LG1 right now and that is only because I haven't gotten around to getting one put in. I play seated most of the time and rarely use a strap now a days, but when I need to stand and play, I will always have one put in the neck heel where I noted above.

I wouldn't do it, but I prefer the strap around the headstock anyway.

I bought an L-4A off eBay this summer and I was EXTREMELY angry the guy didn't disclose he'd put the strap button in (he did it in position 5, as shown above, BTW). It absolutely lowered the value in my eyes.

But it's your guitar, and you should do what you want with it. If you don't enjoy playing it, do what it takes.

I know exactly how you feel. I had one put in the Southern Jumbo last December and I felt like I was taking a lamb to slaughter when I dropped it off at the tech shop. I thought I needed it because we were due to playa show on December 18 and I was going to play standing up. The show got cancelled due to the death of my partner's father 3 days beforehand, and I haven't used the strap button once since then.

That being said, I'm sort of okay now that it's there. The tech here (one of Calgary's best) installed it in position #4 above because he said that's the only spot where Gibson suggests.

Gibson doesn't officially recommend any specific location. It shouldn't make any difference on the value of your guitar, as long as it's installed properly. With that being said, make sure that you have someone install it who knows what's he's doing. If the guitar gets damaged in the process, the warranty won't cover it. I've had several installed by authorized Gibson repair facilities and they've all installed them in position #5 above (treble side of guitar). I think you'll find that if you install it in position #4 (also #2), the weight of the guitar won't be evenly distributed and it will feel funny. Also, once you know how to install one, it's not that hard to do it yourself. Since having my first several professionally installed, I've since installed over 25 myself without any problems. You can find specific instrucions on line, if you're interested.

Great advice all guys (and GG) -- I'm leaning toward having one installed -- about 70% of the way there...

If it gets installed:

it will go in the #5 position;

it will have felt underneath;

it will be done by a professional.

Thanks for the advice.

Gibson doesn't officially recommend any specific location. It shouldn't make any difference on the value of your guitar' date=' as long as it's installed properly. With that being said, make sure that you have someone install it who knows what's he's doing. If the guitar gets damaged in the process, the warranty won't cover it. I've had several installed by authorized Gibson repair facilities and they've all installed them in position #5 above (treble side of guitar). I think you'll find that if you install it in position #4 (also #2), the weight of the guitar won't be evenly distributed and it will feel funny. Also, once you know how to install one, it's not that hard to do it yourself. Since having my first several professionally installed, I've since installed over 25 myself without any problems. You can find specific instrucions on line, if you're interested. [/quote']

Good hearing from you again Mike.

DON'T DO IT! I say leave it as is. It is adequate from the factory. A properly fitted strap will secure your guitar for any kind of playing you do. Once you've drilled, it's like losing your virginity! Once popped, there's no going back!!!

DON'T DO IT! I say leave it as is. It is adequate from the factory. A properly fitted strap will secure your guitar for any kind of playing you do. Once you've drilled' date=' it's like losing your virginity! Once popped, there's no going back!!![/quote']

I agree -- the headstock strap is very secure right now, but that's not the issue. I don't like the way it tends to slide to the left as I play, eventually leaving my left arm/hand overstretch so I have to readjust it. I have another guitar that has a strap button at the #5 position and don't have this problem.

I've never heard or read of any vintage guitar being valued less because of a strap button being added. It would be kind of laughable if a buyer tried to chisel a seller down because a strap button was added...guitars were meant to be played and if a strap button contributes to a guitar's playability by its owner then then its a playability thing not anything else. Plus, so many guitars now have had strap buttons (or under saddle pickups with the lower bout's original strap pin drilled out) that an added strap button is simply insignificant to the overall instrument IMHO.

QM

Gibson doesn't officially recommend any specific location. It shouldn't make any difference on the value of your guitar' date=' as long as it's installed properly. With that being said, make sure that you have someone install it who knows what's he's doing. If the guitar gets damaged in the process, the warranty won't cover it. I've had several installed by authorized Gibson repair facilities and they've all installed them in position #5 above (treble side of guitar). I think you'll find that if you install it in position #4 (also #2), the weight of the guitar won't be evenly distributed and it will feel funny. Also, once you know how to install one, it's not that hard to do it yourself. Since having my first several professionally installed, I've since installed over 25 myself without any problems. You can find specific instrucions on line, if you're interested. [/quote']

hi, guitarstrummer, I could to be interestd to that,

where I can read instructions for that ?

I wouldn't do it' date=' but I prefer the strap around the headstock anyway.

I bought an L-4A off eBay this summer and I was EXTREMELY angry the guy didn't disclose he'd put the strap button in (he did it in position 5, as shown above, BTW). It absolutely lowered the value in my eyes.

But it's your guitar, and you should do what you want with it. If you don't enjoy playing it, do what it takes.[/quote']

+1

I'm contemplating having a local luthier put a strap button in the tailstock of my J-45. I've been using the strap around the headstock' date=' but I don't like the way it feels or hangs or the way it looks.

This may be a dumb question, but does adding a strap button depreciate the value of the guitar? [/quote']

Kebob, you DO need counceling.......I think there is a good Psychologist in your town....I will send you a link over email. I have heard many many pros and cons for the strap button controversy. If you stand up and play, why not just do it? If professionally done, it shouldn't hurt the value of guitar at all. ENJOY, we tend to overthink this stuff....just enjoy your guitar.....

Go for position number 5 as shown in the photo below... bottom side of the neck heel by the high e side of the guitar. My luthier put on in my Advanced Jumbo in less than 5 minutes and only charged me a couple bucks for the holder. He also put a felt washer between the guitar and metal of the holder. Works great and it will not hurt the value of your guitar. I know many people here put them in themselves' date=' but I don't have that much faith in my wood working skills to try that on my Gibsons... my Yamaha, yes, my Gibsons or Taylor.... No Way....

[img']http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd219/lofapco/Straplocation_1.jpg[/img]

TP, great post. One good thing about position 2 is that it is pretty easy to replace a heel cap and erase any evidence of a stap button if needed....thanks for that post

Position 2 will cause the guitar to sit proud when placed in its case, and then the neck will become under stress when the case is closed

Position 1 is a bit of a disaster, and has the same problem

Position 3 can miss the strengthener inside the body and become a real problem and damage the guitar

Position 4 can collide with the connection bolts (or so I am told)

I see that positon 5 is that favoured on my Takamine and it certainly holds the guitar in a good position for playing ......

Archived