Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on the SJ-100

Hilliam

Hi folks, I'm new here. I don't have much experience with Gibson guitars of any model. I've been playing the same Martin rosewood dread for years and been real happy with it.

Recently while killing some spare time in a music store, I spent a few minutes with a new SJ-100. This is a very different sound than I'm used to. It's hard to describe tone, but, I really liked what I heard and I was surprised by the volume.

I also liked the look of this guitar. Nice silking on the top and the back had some very attractive figured bubinga. I tend to look at guitars as tools, but, this is a beauty.

I'm not a collecter and my playing doesn't require different guitars for specific styles of playing, but, I may have to think of an excuse to get one of these. Is anyone else as impressed with the SJ-100 as I am?

Just Got A j100 Extra NOS with Maple Back And Sides What A great guitar! I Like the tight Bass Response and that this model has the sj200 inlays on the neck but without the pickguard you should give one of these a try it seems alot of dealers have these in stock and they are selling them very low.

I used to have an '89 J-100 -- a bit of a different guitar from what you're describing, as it had maple (sycamore) back and sides, but a fine example of the early Bozeman version of this model.

Although I've liked some and disliked others of the "in between" years, say '92 to '02, of the J-100Xtra, I really like the new Bubinga version of this model. I haven't found one yet that didn't sound really good.

Fred

Archived