Gibson Brands Forums

Martin vs Gibson

mooboo

I have a very close friend of mine who swears by Martins. He thinks they have a deeper and fuller tone and look better. But I just don't see or hear that! Am I missing something? What Martins would beat a Gibson? Do any fellow Gibson players own a Martin here? Anyone have a decent sound clip comparing the two?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
P.S. I'm not trying to start a flame war' date=' I've just never played a high end Martin and my CL-30 that I got for cheap sounds perfect to me! Better than any sub 1000$ Martins.[/quote']

It all depends on whether it is a Martin equipped with Colosi saddle and bridge pins, or if it's a Gibson equipped thus.

Hope that helps,

Fred

I have a good Martin guitar-- heck, I've had a number of them. But in general, I prefer Gibsons for the type of music that I play.

As a matter of fact, I was on the verge of selling my last Martin this past summer. I knew it as an exceptional guitar, but it wasn't getting any playing time at my house. So I decided to take it to an all day campout jam and decide once and for all if we were going to part ways. Sort of one last road trip.

Several folks commented on how good that guitar sounded, but one offered on the spot to buy it at any price that I'd set. THAT freaked me out; I decided then and there it wasn't going anywhere. After all , everyone should have at least one Martin guitar!

But around here, only the Gibsons are out and ready to play.

Martin... Gibson....

Ford.... Chevy

Pepsi....Coke

Vanilla.... Chocolate

Everyone has a preference.....

Martins are very nice sounding guitars. I don't like most of their necks. Gibsons are very nice sounding guitars too and the necks feel better in my hands......Both are good. It is what appeals to you.

Now don't go asking who's better between Gibson and Taylor.... my answer MAY be different! =D> (JK.... I love both!!!)

Everyone has a preference.....

Martins are very nice sounding guitars. I don't like most of their necks. Gibsons are very nice sounding guitars too and the necks feel better in my hands......Both are good. It is what appeals to you.

I agree I have a Martin 1986 J-40M great great sound, but it has a low profile neck which at the time I bought it new felt right coming from a Strat.......After I got my SJ-200 in 98 although the 40 sounds very good the Gibson feels very natural in my hand so I play it always ,the Martin not so much any more BUT when friends come over they get to play the 40 and I on the Jumbo and ya thats a Heavenly sound......=D> :- :-

Martin forte - pickin' and light to medium strumming. Super fine.

Gibson - versatile, good for pickin' and light strumming, and beefy enough to take a beating from aggressive rythym strumming or a hard hitting lead run, still sounding clean and clear.

I would never get too aggressive with my Martin, but was never afraid to get down and nasty with my Gibby SW (now gone - damn, little did I know how much I would regret that sell off). Anyway, for me, that's the difference.

I've owned many Martins and loved quite a few a them.

However - after 'finding' Gibsons, my tastes started to change.

I found that for whatever I call 'my style' - Gibsons

are for me. I don't own any Martins now but own 5 Gibsons and

2 Gibson clones (Jubals). I may also own one of Dan Roberts LG2s

in the future. I will own another Martin - they are really great instruments.

But Gibsons will be the make I go to first.

Geoff

The only way to compare 2 guitars are that they would be the same shape (square or round shoulder), same types of material (maple, hog, rw), same type of bracing, ect. Just to mant variables when comparing major brands like martin or gibson.

As folks have been saying, beware of generalizations. But if you want generalizations: Gibson's roots are in archtops and mandolins. Thumpy, midrangey. Need to dig in a bit to bring out the sound. Martin's roots are in gut string 12 fret classicals. Touch sensitive, resounding, balanced. This will vary, as Old Guy points out, on the shape and materials (for ex a short scale hog 0018 is going to be funkier than an ultra refined long scale rosewood OM28). Your friend is not entirely wrong in thinking the Martin sound is a little, uh, broader. But us folks here like what Gibson's can do. As Jeff says, different animals.

All of the above. There's no answer to this that will satisfy all. Styles, tones, feel, and so on. Why stop at these two makers? We're living in a golden age of guitar building. As for me, I have 5 Gibsons and 4 Martins, from 1931 to 2008 models. All different, all wonderful.

The open mic I attend regularly has many Martin dreads - sorry don't know the models - and 1 Gibson, mine.

All the Martin owners are died in the wool Martin fans but some think my SWD is the best Gibson they have heard. Maybe. =P~

The point is that I love the sound these people get from their Martins, particularly when picked or softly strummed. I like to beat the hell out of mine and I'm not sure that would suit the subtlety of some of these Martin tones.

A good friend of mine has had an entry level Martin, with the stratobond neck, for about 18 months now. At first I didn't really get on with the tone, but last night it sounded absolutely great and very different to my Gibson. It seems to be maturing very nicely indeed. It's great guitar and good value too.

If we are in a postition to have a Martin, Gibson, Taylor etc then we should recognise we are in a privaleged position and make the most of it. It's all good!

I hope to have a Martin one day even if they are rubbish! (Did I just say that out loud?)

As folks have been saying' date=' beware of generalizations. But if you want generalizations: Gibson's roots are in archtops and mandolins. Thumpy, midrangey. Need to dig in a bit to bring out the sound. Martin's roots are in gut string 12 fret classicals. Touch sensitive, resounding, balanced. This will vary, as Old Guy points out, on the shape and materials (for ex a short scale hog 0018 is going to be funkier than an ultra refined long scale rosewood OM28). Your friend is not entirely wrong in thinking the Martin sound is a little, uh, broader. But us folks here like what Gibson's can do. As Jeff says, different animals.

[/quote']

Jkinnama, I've never thought of it in this way, but what you wrote makes perfect sense......like the separation of branches on the evolutionary tree, these are just different beasts, related, but different...

different animals for sure. i love the martin 00 and 000 line. the eric clapton sig is beyond delicious. but that doesn't exclude my love for the L-00. but gibson has got them all beat when it comes to finish.

Which is better' date=' chocolot or vanilla????[/quote']

once i tasted chocolate, i never went back to vanilla. (sorry, couldnt resist)

I have a very close friend of mine who swears by Martins. He thinks they have a deeper and fuller tone and look better. But I just don't see or hear that! Am I missing something? What Martins would beat a Gibson? Do any fellow Gibson players own a Martin here? Anyone have a decent sound clip comparing the two?

O.K., rant here.

Well, your friend has not played my wife's Songwriter Deluxe, or he'd know better. Talk about a deep and full tone, and super responsive. Not the same as a Martin, but a stunning guitar nevertheless. Your CL-30 is a great guitar, but different from a Martin, for sure. Not better or worse, just different. I've had a number of guitars, mostly but not entirely Gibson's. Haven't found a Martin yet to love, but I'm always open to another guitar if it sounds and plays in a way that pleases me (and I can afford it).

I'm always a bit puzzled, and to be honest, more than a little annoyed at times, by the dyed in the wool Martin fan boys (and I'm only talking about fan boys here, so all you other Martin owners, just relax) . In their world, nothing will ever be wrong with a Martin, and nothing will ever sound or look as good. pish tish. I call it the Martin snob syndrome, but really, I think it's a form of bragging to hide their own insecurity (mine's bigger, better than yours, nah nah nah nah). Not every Martin owner has it for sure, but there is a vocal minority that's convinced the world revolves around Martin.

I rarely see that same attitude among players of any other guitars, and never hear that from Gibson owners. Maybe I'm missing it, I don't know, but I can't ever recall a Gibson owner having the same attitude. It seems to me a very limiting perspective, as well as at times rude to the people who own, play and love something else.

Martin makes great guitars, no doubt about it. But so does Gibson. And, so do too many other builders to name. For me, I love the variety of wonderful guitars available, whatever the make, and think it's just plain silly to be locked into only one builder because you think it "beats" everything else out there, or to dis someone else's choice of guitar because it doesn't sound or look like yours.

It's not a competition. Tell your friend. There's no Martin beats Gibson, or vice versa. Every maker, including Martin, makes good and not so good guitars. Buy and play the one's you like, and accept and respect the fact that not everyone sees or hears the world the way that you do.

End of rant.

Oh, and by the way, there's no Martin in existence that has the sexy looks of a slope shouldered J-45 with that great sunburst finish. Just sayin. =D>/

"I'm always a bit ..annoyed by the dyed in the wool Martin fan"

Well, there's snobbery. And there's anti-snobbery. Neither are very helpful, other than for shoring up ego. Real musicians can appreciate both Martins and Gibsons for what they are.

I think each brand has its fans ( short for fanatics) who think only their brand is good enough. So be it. I confess, I am an American Factory Built Guitar snob. I think, Martin, Gibson, Guild, and some others build the best guitars in the world for guitar players. Boutique guitars are fine for some but I like my lifetime guarantee to go beyond the lifetime of the luthier who made it, and I like the looooong standing reputation and resale value of a good old American guitar.

I have 2 Martins and 2 Gibsons.

I have a Martin dealer 25 minutes from here. No Gibson dealers within 1 1/2 hour one way. I played every Martin (and Taylor) in his shop before getting my J45RW from Musicians Friend.

It won, hands down, sight unseen.

God Bless Bozeman.

Murph.

Archived