Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Junior: difference between 1957 and 1958 model?

Federal-Foe

Hello

I'm turning 18 next month, and was considering buying a real Gibson Les Paul guitar.

After a bit of research, and alot of youtube-soundlistening from each model, I chose to get a Les Paul Junior.

The only models I could find in stores near me (Belgium) is a 1957 Les Paul Jr., a 1958 LP Jr., and the Billie Joe Armstrong Signature...

But I noticed that the 1957 issue is worth double than a 1958 model. And now my question is: Why?

I don't know much about all those kinds of wood, or the kind of neck, or the bridge they come with...

But which one would be the best to pick between a 1957 and a 1958? I like BJA's style, but buying a guitar with his name on it is a bit to "fanboy"-like in my opinion...

So, what are the major differences between the 1957 and the 1958 issue, and how do they effect the sound?

And are there any other LP Jr. models (single cut) apart from the 3 mentioned above?

greets,

Federal-Foe

Hello

I'm turning 18 next month' date=' and was considering buying a real Gibson Les Paul guitar.

After a bit of research, and alot of youtube-soundlistening from each model, I chose to get a Les Paul Junior.

The only models I could find in stores near me (Belgium) is a 1957 Les Paul Jr., a 1958 LP Jr., and the Billie Joe Armstrong Signature...

But I noticed that the 1957 issue is worth double than a 1958 model. And now my question is: Why?

I don't know much about all those kinds of wood, or the kind of neck, or the bridge they come with...

But which one would be the best to pick between a 1957 and a 1958? I like BJA's style, but buying a guitar with his name on it is a bit to "fanboy"-like in my opinion...

So, what are the major differences between the 1957 and the 1958 issue, and how do they effect the sound?

And are there any other LP Jr. models (single cut) apart from the 3 mentioned above?

greets,

Federal-Foe

[/quote']

just note you, people have sid the BJA Les Paul is a kind of a 58 reissue to <.< (think it was 58)

just note you' date=' people have sid the BJA Les Paul is a kind of a 58 reissue to <.< (think it was 58)[/quote']

I know, they designed it after his original guitar, but with a 1960's neck... Which he said "played easier", but it was obvious he had no idea what he was talking about...

And what is the difference between all those models? because I've googled it, and there seem to be even more issues of this guitar... Are they all the same?

It is? Looks the same to me.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1957-Les-Paul-Jr-Single-VOS.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1958-Les-Paul-Jr-Double-VOS.aspx

Mind you, those prices are nowhere near what street prices are but as you can see, they both cost the same. Those links should also give you an idea of any differences.

The '57 & '58 are Custom Shop guitars, the BJA is not. Custom Shop guitars typically have better wood, different electronics & better workmanship than Gibson USA.

I know' date=' they designed it after his original guitar, but with a 1960's neck... Which he said "played easier", but it was obvious he had no idea what he was talking about...

And what is the difference between all those models? because I've googled it, and there seem to be even more issues of this guitar... Are they all the same?[/quote']

realy, apart from neck thickness and a few minor details its all the same guitar.

Archived