Gibson Guitar Board: BALDWIN - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BALDWIN

#1 User is offline   davie garden 

• Group: Members

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

Would this be the same Baldwin company that aquired the Burns of London company in the 60s? I ask because I have a 1964 Burns Jazzbass and used to own an original Burns Marvin.

#2 User is offline   studiodtk5 

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:18 PM

Well now this is a difficult question to answer. In regards to the brand name, Baldwin, yes it is the same as the one you speak of. However is it the same company, far from it. Gibson purchased the Baldwin company about 10 years ago and has skillfully marketed its products as it has the other brands it owns. If you don't believe what I say try to find a Baldwin piano dealer in your area. After doing that try to locate a Yamaha or Kawai piano dealer. Hard to purchase a product if you can't find a dealer...skillful....

#3 User is offline   Paging Page 

• forum token female fangirl
  • LocationScorpio

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:00 PM

[biggrin] Ah cool, I didn't know this!

Baldwin is a nice piano.

In my area Yamaha and Kawai are sold right and left - dealers everywhere.

I would collect pianos if I had the money and if it was a practical thing to do - ROFL
Space is a little limiting [crying] [biggrin]
Linda

#4 User is offline   Windwalker9000 

• Advanced
  • Locationupstate Carolina

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:33 PM

Baldwin is now MFG in China accordin to a ex Baldwin dealer that we talked to. We started to buy from them and decided to opt out far a used piano from craigslist instead.
Music is the universal language!!!

#5 User is offline   keyboardkat 

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

I don't know if Gibson monitors these posts, but they will not be happy with what I'm about to say.

When it comes to Baldwin pianos, I think Gibson has been an absolute, unmitigated disaster. They closed their concert and artist department, so there is no longer any such thing as being a Baldwin artist. Previously, they had all but ignored their classical artists, causing many of them to leave. What a comedown for this once-great piano company, which had been the preferred instrument of Leonard Bernstein, Earl Wild (for 60 years), Jorge Bolet, Liberace, Andre Previn, Walter Gieseking, Aaron Copland, Igor Stravinsky, and many others. They simply walked away from over a hundred years of their own history, which apparently means nothing at all to Gibson.

The first thing Gibson did when it took over Baldwin was to hold a press conference where they dropped a grand piano from a helicopter to a parking lot, smashing it, to symbolize "Out with the old, in with the new." I don't know what moron thought that up, but any company that would do that to a musical instrument has no credibility with me at all. It shows their attitude, I think, toward the piano and toward music.

They said they were going to "restore Baldwin to the piano powerhouse it once was." Yeah, right! They make absolutely no effort to promote Baldwin or its products. There isn't even a Baldwin website anymore. It's just this subcategory on the Gibson website, and all it is, is a catalog, nothing more. If you look at their guitar website, the site seems aimed at serious guitar artists and a public that loves the instrument and the music produced on it. Doesn't Baldwin deserve at least the same?

No wonder they had to shift piano manufacturing to China! The pianos weren't selling? I have news for them. In America you have to promote something in order to sell it. But the promotions need to have class, not be aimed at the lowest common denominator. But instead of being one of the known high-end piano brands, used and preferred by many top artists, now Baldwin has become just another piano brand, made in China, sold without any fanfare from this inadequate, subnormal subwebsite, with no mention of the company's noble history, or the qualities of touch and sound which made Baldwin what it used to be.

I am very, very angry about this, as you can see. I hope some consortium of investors who love the piano, love and value music, and value the name Baldwin, will buy the Baldwin line from Gibson and start doing it right again!

#6 Guest_shangbuqi_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

I would collect pianos if I had the money and if it was a practical thing to do - ROFL
Space is a little limiting Posted Image

#7 User is offline   StudioSpicer 

• LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

View Poststudiodtk5, on 10 October 2010 - 10:18 PM, said:

Well now this is a difficult question to answer. In regards to the brand name, Baldwin, yes it is the same as the one you speak of. However is it the same company, far from it. Gibson purchased the Baldwin company about 10 years ago and has skillfully marketed its products as it has the other brands it owns. If you don't believe what I say try to find a Baldwin piano dealer in your area. After doing that try to locate a Yamaha or Kawai piano dealer. Hard to purchase a product if you can't find a dealer...skillful....

I have been trying to find a Baldwin dealer in my area (Calgary, Alberta, Canada). I emailed Gibson, and the reply I received seemed a bit unprofessional (like a youth), or maybe from someone who doesn't speak English. Essentially the reply to finding a Baldwin dealer near me was: "I CAN'T FIND ONE." I was shocked to receive such a reply. It gave no other referral or suggestion. For a company show such a lack of enthusiasm is concerning--their future is likely precarious. This is a big disappointment for those of us who remain loyal to the original Baldwin company of high quality standards.
Vincent SPICER
Baldwin-L Serial 325005
http://www.youtube.com/tanetaori/
http://www.studiospicer.com/
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   StudioSpicer 

• LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

View Postkeyboardkat, on 04 January 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

I don't know if Gibson monitors these posts, but they will not be happy with what I'm about to say.

When it comes to Baldwin pianos, I think Gibson has been an absolute, unmitigated disaster. They closed their concert and artist department, so there is no longer any such thing as being a Baldwin artist. Previously, they had all but ignored their classical artists, causing many of them to leave. What a comedown for this once-great piano company, which had been the preferred instrument of Leonard Bernstein, Earl Wild (for 60 years), Jorge Bolet, Liberace, Andre Previn, Walter Gieseking, Aaron Copland, Igor Stravinsky, and many others. They simply walked away from over a hundred years of their own history, which apparently means nothing at all to Gibson.

The first thing Gibson did when it took over Baldwin was to hold a press conference where they dropped a grand piano from a helicopter to a parking lot, smashing it, to symbolize "Out with the old, in with the new." I don't know what moron thought that up, but any company that would do that to a musical instrument has no credibility with me at all. It shows their attitude, I think, toward the piano and toward music.

They said they were going to "restore Baldwin to the piano powerhouse it once was." Yeah, right! They make absolutely no effort to promote Baldwin or its products. There isn't even a Baldwin website anymore. It's just this subcategory on the Gibson website, and all it is, is a catalog, nothing more. If you look at their guitar website, the site seems aimed at serious guitar artists and a public that loves the instrument and the music produced on it. Doesn't Baldwin deserve at least the same?

No wonder they had to shift piano manufacturing to China! The pianos weren't selling? I have news for them. In America you have to promote something in order to sell it. But the promotions need to have class, not be aimed at the lowest common denominator. But instead of being one of the known high-end piano brands, used and preferred by many top artists, now Baldwin has become just another piano brand, made in China, sold without any fanfare from this inadequate, subnormal subwebsite, with no mention of the company's noble history, or the qualities of touch and sound which made Baldwin what it used to be.

I am very, very angry about this, as you can see. I hope some consortium of investors who love the piano, love and value music, and value the name Baldwin, will buy the Baldwin line from Gibson and start doing it right again!

I share some of your disappointment in Baldwin, and I am not here with the desire to badmouth Baldwin or anyone. But I am disappointed in Gibson's apparent lack of marketing and positioning of the Baldwin brand...it appears to be neglected. I would like to see Gibson put out some info the the transition from the takeover of Baldwin's bankruptcy in Dec 2008. What are Gibson's plans for the USA Baldwin factory? I would also like to see Gibson brag just a little bit about their 2 Chinese factories which are now producing Baldwin grands--if they are indeed producing pianos of high quality (as the USA-built Baldwins definitely were) then they should brag about that and substantiate with some declarations and facts. For example, the Baldwin Model L 6'3" grand piano used to sell for over $60,000 when it was last made in the USA (Arkansas factory). Gibson is now retailing (apparently, by their web page) this Baldwin Model L1 (they added the "1" after the "L" for some reason) for $50,700. After all the claims of specs of the high quality parts going into the production of this piano, at the bottom of their web page are some disclaimers that some materials could be changed/substituted at any time (due to availability is the reason given). I wonder if they are using plastic moving parts; is the plate made from the sand cast still & always? Also, this price of $50,700 ... look around throughout all of North America and you will not find this piano being sold for more than $15,000 (used, of course). I know of one incident where the Model L was sold for $30,000 brand new in Toronto in 1998 (year of Baldwin's bankruptcy). So how then do you reconcile this "brand new" retail price of $30,000 CAD in 1998 with Gibson's MSRP of $50,700 USD? Imagine paying that sum for a Chinese-manufactured Baldwin Model L1 grand when you could find a USA-Built Baldwin for $15,000 or less (albeit, used). Gibson needs to reassure and prove to consumers that the Chinese built Baldwin IS indeed of the same quality of the USA-built Baldwin, and not simply stencilling the Baldwin name on a cheap product. I very much am interested in test-playing a Chinese-built Baldwin grand piano (preferably Model L or L1)...does anyone know where I might find a brand new Baldwin to test play? Gibson was unable to tell me (guess they really aren't interested in selling their pianos?). Has Gibson heard of "customer service" or "marketing"--maybe there is something here that I am not understanding?
Vincent SPICER
Baldwin-L Serial 325005
http://www.youtube.com/tanetaori/
http://www.studiospicer.com/
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users