Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Custom Silverburst

leovan83

Hi guys!

I just received my brand new Custom in Silverburst.

I gotta ask you a few questions:

I have used guitars with poly finished all of my life (Jackson, BC Rich) and this is my first time with nitro.

1)I noticed the finish looks really nice, very organic... and the back of the neck is also shiny, but not AS shiny as the front, as if they did just 1 coat instead of two. Is this normal?

2) What is the best product to cleana nitro finished guitar? I would like to use a Gibson product amde specific for nitro finished, and I saw the Luthier's choice pack on their website, but I can't find it anywhere, has it been discontinued? I have used Dunlop Formula 65 before on the poly guitars, I wonder if using the 65 Polish and the 65 Carnauba Wax will work fine with nitro too?

Thanks!

1) No idea, I've never checked. Does it really matter?

2) Personally, I wouldn't overdo it with the cleaners & polishes. You want to keep it looking new? Just use a dry microfiber or cotton cloth and give it a quick wipe. If you plan on gigging this guitar, that's a different story. Virtuoso is great but I only used it when I wipped the VOS stuff off my historics and I only used it once on each guitar. Naphtha (Zippo fluid) is also a great cleaning product (and safe) for nitro finishes. I've read that Gibson cleaning products aren't the greatest. Keep in mind that just because a bottle says "Gibson" on it, doesn't mean Gibson made it.

Before you ask, Fret Doctor is probably the best product you can use to clean/condition your fretboard.

So, does your Silverburst look like this?? [biggrin]

Picture452.jpg

It sure does! I'll post some pics later on today.

Okay, what about the Dunlop Formula 65 kits? Are they any good for nitro finishes?

In other words, if you would have to choose your cleaning products, from what I understand here it's:

1) Virtuoso polish

2) Fret Doctor fretboard conditioner

3) Microfiber cloth

I have been looking around for the Gibson "luthier's choice" pack and very few places seem to have it, and they vary in the price a lot, some have different logos. I am wondering if they are no longer in production?

Thanks!

I was reading that the Formula 65 was made for poly finishes and that it may damage nitro finishes... is this true?

Has anybody ever used the Luthier's Choice? I guess the pump polishes does a good job too...

What about the Virtuoso stuff, is that truly "extra special"?

Finally, I already have a nice Dunlop Microfiber cloth which I will use for ocasional wiping after playing kind of stuff, but what will a good polishing cloth be, u know, to apply the cleaner and the polish? Any particular brands or ideas?

Thanks!

Hey Are Nine:

Hey!

I have a couple of question, what year is your Custom Silverburst?

And second, I have a particular question about the serial number. On pictures, like, eBay and stuff, the number looks silver, like, they painted the numbers with a bright silver/white colour. Mine looks like a very light, faded gray, almost "watery". BUT, when I take a picture, it does look a bit more silver and whitish... my question is: does your serial number look a bit grayish not really defined silver numbers when not under artificial or natural light?

Thanks!

Leo

Archived