Gibson Brands Forums

True Vintage J-45 Sitka Top vs adirondack Top

mking

I'm about to pull the trigger on this GC special J-45 red spruce with antiquing, and I already have a standard J-45. It's not a TV, but I would say it's deeper and more solid sounding than the sitka-topped standard J. It's got the sound and feel of the folk music I want to play for the rest of my life.

Steve-O

Kingme-- the question you asked has been kicked around a lot on this forum (try the search function?), so its not entirely out of bounds to great a routine query, however earnest, with a joke. Janus is in fact a gent. Can we all take a deep breath and start over?

oh you wanted to know about adi? dry. punchy.

Kingme

I have a J-45 TV with the Adi top. I was playing it against a standard model the other weekend. My Red Spruce TV was dryer sounding, with more snap and volume. The standard model sounded great as well, but the TV really has more of a dry vintage tone. They are great guitars.

I'm in the process of buying 53' J-45, if I like it, I'll unfortunately be selling the J-45 TV to keep peace in the house.

Tom

jannusguy' date=' I would like to get an answer to the question. If you don't have anything worth reading then don't write. Yeah like you say, life is short so I don't need your sarcasm. [/quote']

just a bit of levity there, noob. not sarcasm. i have 3 guitars with adi tops and they all sound "warmer" to me than their sitka counterparts. it's all fairly subjective anyway.

In defense of Janusguy's first response- HE'S ACTUALLY RIGHT!!! The tonal differences are really too close to differenciate. The difference in price is the only thing that really stands out! (about $700.00) When it comes to tonal differences, back and side woods really stand out (rosewood vs. mahogany). Spruce, whether it be sitka or adi, is going to produce a very similar tone. You hear what you want to hear! (or not hear).

In defense of Janusguy's first response- HE'S ACTUALLY RIGHT!!! The tonal differences are really too close to differenciate. The difference in price is the only thing that really stands out! (about $700.00) When it comes to tonal differences' date=' back and side woods really stand out (rosewood vs. mahogany). Spruce, whether it be sitka or adi, is going to produce a very similar tone. You hear what you want to hear! (or not hear).[/quote']

Nope.

I seem to detect that there is a vast difference between what I hear and feel playing a good adirondack top as opposed to a good sitka top---all other things being equal. As has been mentioned, red spruce seems punchier, clearer, drier, more fundamental and more responsive----and in the trebles, it sounds like it has a much thicker ringing quality. Sitka seems, by comparison, fuzzy, with more overtones, seems a bit less direct, and tends to more wiry treble tones. Of course, there are some people who can't tell the difference between the ride of a Chevy and a Lexus.....and that's what makes the world go round.[crying]

Funny, I came to the opposite conclusion. I though the treble notes of the TV w/ red spruce were too dry and not as sweet as on my standard J. In the end, I'll take my J. Sometimes you have to wrestle with another guitar purchase, only to realize you already have what you are looking for.

Remember that red spruce tops are going to season and play in to a much more mellow and smooth sound than when they are raw and new. Sometimes a new red spruce top can sound harsh and shrill. But with a few months aggressive playing, that will change dramatically.

This one was built in 2008, so it's been played in the store for sure. This guitar, by no means, sounded harsh or shrill. It's just the treble notes were not as full and blooming as on mine. The bass and lower strings were very mellow and "flat" sounding, which I love, but it didn't quite have it on the top end, and I don't expect that will change.

Generalities about the qualities of tonewoods are just that, generalities. I once had the fun of comparing a couple of J-45TV'swith red spruce tops against three standard J-45 MC's. The TV's were to my ear much nicer guitars than two of the MC's, but the third MC was every bit as good, and tehn some, as the TV's. Just the luck of the draw for that particular guitar, everything came together just right when they made it. Ya gotta play fem first to know what your getting.

Exactly right Dennis. This TV w/ red spruce was heads above the standard J-45 in the store, but when played against mine, I pick mine. Obviously mine is a good one, and that's why I bought it. I have three Gibsons that are all great. It would have to be a truly superb guitar to make me pull out my credit card again, but it's still fun to look.

Generalities about the qualities of tonewoods are just that' date=' generalities. I once had the fun of comparing a couple of J-45TV'swith red spruce tops against three standard J-45 MC's. The TV's were to my ear much nicer guitars than two of the MC's, but the third MC was every bit as good, and tehn some, as the TV's. Just the luck of the draw for that particular guitar, everything came together just right when they made it. Ya gotta play fem first to know what your getting. [/quote']

Wonderful post - great thoughts and observations. I think the luck of the draw theory especially applies at an operation the size of Gibson. (I could have just said "+1", but I REALLY agree with what you've said here.)

All the best,

Guth

"Generalities about the qualities of tonewoods are just that, generalities." Sure. Lots of variables. Top voicing. Bracing. Wood. Thickness. Case in point, check out the Walker and Kopp slopes in suburudes thread. Both adi-topped, but the Walker was more ringing, the Kopp drier. Take the same design and slap a sitka top on it, and it should change accordingly, with the Kopp ringing more and the Walker edgier. As for vintage/standard differences, just note that its the exceptional std that rings out, not the rule. So I think there's more going on there than luck, and adi is one of the factors.

Archived