Gibson Brands Forums

1986 Les Paul Custom question

stevem2220

Hoping I could get some advise on a 1986 Les Paul Custom I am considering purchasing. The S/N indicates it's an 86 and manufactured in Nashville. The Guitar is marked above the S/N w/ SEC. I spoke with Gibson they said it's a second and that there was a cosmetic blemish hence the SEC marking above the S/N.

The question I have is the Guitar is Gun Stock Gray and the only Les Pauls I'm seeing that are gray are the Standards and the new Axcess line. Gibson told me they didn't track colors back then so it's possible that they could have produced this Gray Guitar. Looking at the standard color options, Ebony, White, Silver, Cherry and Wine, gray is not something you can select. So is it possible the Custom's were offered in Gray back in 86? The S/N is 8 digit and starts w/80XXXXXX.

So its not a Reissue or a Guitar from the Custom Shop either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Pictures would be helpful. It's kind of hard for somebody on the internet to tell you without seeing it first. I'm assuming you know what a Custom looks like? The diamond inlay on the headstock, block inlays, 1st fret inlay, binding, etc? If it looks like a Custom, it's probably a Custom. Gibson does limited runs all the time now. I'm sure it was no different back then.

+1 on the pics.....

perhaps it was a custom order, i have a 79 in all silver not silverburst which would be correct for that period, not being the original owner i was trying to find out about the color and gibson told me it was probably a custom order.i know its a different year but maby yours could be a custom order as well.

Archived