Gibson Brands Forums

when did Gibson start to plek es 335 guitars?

Tommythek42

Hey guys - at the risk of sounding silly - what is the difference between a machine plekked neck or having it done by hand? I kind of like the idea of Gibsons being handmade (to an extent) by a craftsman. Can you really notice a big difference? Thanks

Brian

Hey guys - at the risk of sounding silly - what is the difference between a machine plekked neck or having it done by hand? I kind of like the idea of Gibsons being handmade (to an extent) by a craftsman. Can you really notice a big difference? Thanks

Brian

Thanks for being willing to sound silly, Brian.

I was wondering the exact same thing, but I felt foolish asking. I'm not even sure what I should be looking for to see whether a guitar is machine-plekked.

Ignatius.

Check this out to see a Plek in action. It also can cut the nut slots much more accurate and faster than a person. The whole process takes about 10 minutes.

Hey roadhog96--

Thanks for the link. As the youtube description says, the machine actually seems quite beautiful, almost graceful in its gentle approach to the guitar and its ballet-like movements. It is pretty amazing. I wish there had been a bit more technical description of what exactly the machine is doing, though.

So in the end, is this just about setting up a guitar properly but at a much more efficient rate, or is there something different in how the Plek machine does this work? I'm still wondering: could an amateur like me could pick out the "plekked" vs. the "non-plekked" guitar in a shop where all the instruments were properly set up by the staff? Although from what I have heard in the past, this is a big step forward for Gibson because many people have been unhappy with Gibson set-up straight out of the box.

Thanks again for the information!

Ignatius

Archived