Gibson Brands Forums

Relocating strap button on explorer

MojoRedFoot

To people who have moved the strap button from the upper mid back to the top corner like on older explorers. Is it better balanced when playing standing up? I want to put strap locks on my explorer but if I put them where the original strap button is on the back, it seems like it would stick into my groin and get really uncomfortable. But I don't like the idea of drilling a new whole in my baby. I'll do it if it helps. Thoughts? What have you other '76 reissue owners done?

I knew I could count on you, Gary [crying] You and I have similar taste in gear from looking at your list. I too am a big fan of ESP/LTDs, Line 6 and hope to have a Mesa Tri-Rec. I needed an all Tube head in a pinch last yr but didn't have the $1800 for the Mesa. I got a B-52 AT-100 which I have read is the "poor-man's Mesa." Cheers.

I aint got no Explorer, but I do have a Gibson flying V and a Neal Moser Bastard V. The Neal Moser is infinitely better balanced and the reason has a lot to do with the location of the strap button. Neal places it under the upper spike, pretty much where the two collide, it makes such a huge difference that I will probably replace the one in the Gibson.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Here's a good one.

I'm a heavy-set person (ok, a fat guy), and my balance problem is a little different. My issue is the Explorer wanting to tilt forward (towards my feet). Playing my Explorer standing up is like a wrestling match, and the thing kicks my kiester every time. I have a Les Paul Studio that hangs nicely at a comfortable height for me, and a Flying V that has superb balance, and doesn't tilt forward. My guess is that I can move the tailpiece side strap button up a couple of inches, and move the other one off of the back.

Please let me read your ideas. I have a good tech that I use (he gets to actually do this), but I think players that know this guitar would have a more intimate insight to this.

EBMJF

Hi All' date='

Here's a good one.

I'm a heavy-set person (ok, a fat guy), and my balance problem is a little different. My issue is the Explorer wanting to tilt forward (towards my feet). Playing my Explorer standing up is like a wrestling match, and the thing kicks my kiester every time. I have a Les Paul Studio that hangs nicely at a comfortable height for me, and a Flying V that has superb balance, and doesn't tilt forward. My guess is that I can move the tailpiece side strap button up a couple of inches, and move the other one off of the back.

Please let me read your ideas. I have a good tech that I use (he gets to actually do this), but I think players that know this guitar would have a more intimate insight to this.

EBMJF [/quote']

That should work since you are redistributing the weight towards the top.

Hi All,

I did it.

First I moved the tail-end button up about two inches away from the corner of the wing (I hope I described that well enough). That solved the problem right there, but I moved the other one from the back of the neck to the "heel", like on a Les Paul. It made the guitar feel neck heavy that way so I put the button back behind the neck.

Truth be told, I didn't really move the strap buttons as much as I installed additional ones. I had two extra females from the Dunlop Strap Lok system that I use, and just installed them.

E

Archived