Gibson Brands Forums

'65 Firebird V-12 were there more than 4 made?

ladyscaglyc

Hey Oringo :

No, I don't think that its that they aren't upset. I think that they are just plain stubborn folk and won't admit that they would rather have one of these. Trouble is there weren't that many made, especially 12 stringed ones and they are pretty damned rare and expensive now. I think if I remember correctly Paul Mc...... has one too, or had one, a 12 string non reverse that is. The value of these babes is going to go through the roof. So if you have one hang on to it. The reverse birds are awkward silly beasts and when Gibson realized the mistake they made with them, they fixed it and got rid of all the bugs in the process, and boy, did they ever get it right. Cheers to the " Gibson get it right team ".

If this don't piss 'em off nothin will.

cheers,

Robert

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys! I'm Kevin, never been here before but glad I found it!

You can add my 1967 Firebird V-12 to the list. I've seen some funny information here regarding the 12-string birds (mostly about years of production). According to Gibson (and George Gruhn) they were only manufactured one year, late '66 and 1967. Mike Lull of Guitarworks in Bellevue, WA. calls them a "one year only" instrument.

Like automobile models, the late 66's were actually supposed to be 1967's, the only thing that makes them 66 is the shipping dates, which were at the end of the year. I have NEVER heard of a 1965 and never seen any documentation that would support that they were shipped in this year. If one of you guys has any, I'd sure love to see it. Tracking the history of vintage instruments is extremely interesting to me.

I've owned mine since 1973 when I purchased it from an ad in the paper for $250.00. I have the original Firebird case with it as well.

So....my main reason for finding this forum in the first place was to see if anyone knows the value of these puppies. I was offered $3,200 for it about 25 years ago by a music dealer in Seattle and I'm wondering if anyone has any idea of their value nowadays?

Maybe someone can tell me how to upload a pic so I can show it to y'all...

Thanks!

-Kev

img][img]img][img]img][img]

• 2 months later...

I assume that the bunch of us that claim to have 1965 Firebirds have gone by the date codes on the pots. The ones on mine all date to 1965. I understand though that many companies bought up lots of pots and may not have installed them in their instruments until months or perhaps a year or so later. Makes complete sense. That was the only way that I had of determining any age to this one as I could not find the serial number and yes the finish is original. I bought a hot pink one in 1970 and sold it to a conspicuous British fellow at the King Edward Hotel when Led Zeppelin was playing at Maple Leaf Gardens. I think it was 1971 but I forget. Long and McQuade on Bloor in Toronto pointed out book value for this one was $15,000.00 US. That was three years ago though it all boils down to whatever someone will pay.

• 2 months later...

I have one of these Firebird 12's. I've owned it since 1970 and love it to bits. The only other one I've seen was being played by Pete Townshend's brother with 'The Who' on a broadcast concert last year.

Further interest or photo required (not of me, of course!) e-mail me @ 'dodd906@btinternet.com'

The Firebird is brilliant - much more voice than the twangy, thin Ricky's. The neck is the slimmest on any 12 I've played. In the 40 years I've had it, the neck has remained absolutely stable.

The original selector switch got broken and has been replaced by a toggle switch. That may affect the value but, who cares? It's never going to be for sale!

Having looked at other posts and talk of when Firebird 12's were made - I always thought they were made late '65, early '66. Another person on here refers to Ian C. Bishop's book as his source of reference. Not only do I have that book, but I bought the Firebird 12 from the shop Ian worked in at the time...Top Gear, Denmark St., London.

Where did the time go?!

There is a Firebird XII for sale at Jay Rosen for $4500 (www.jayrosen.com) I have no affiliation with them or the guitar.

There was another one on ebay (UK) for months that didn't sell as far as I remember.

So they are out there.

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I hope it’s still alive. I have a Firebird 12 string that I have owned since 1973. It was shipped in 1967 and was well used when I got it. It was in poor shape and I had it refinished shortly after taking possession. I made the pickguard myself after having two made for it. The pros could not get the pickups positioned properly. I had taken it Gravity Strings in St Louis, recently, for repair of the headstock inlay. They just happened to have another in there at the same time. I don’t know if it was for sale or in there for some kind of repair. I saw another one at the Dallas Guitar Show in 2008. A third Firebird 12 was for sale at a thrift shop near Camdenton, MO a few years ago. It was also on Ebay for quite a while. So, I can definitely add one more Gibson Firebird 12 string to your running worldly inventory. I know I have seen, at least, two more. The Bird I saw at St Louis could be the same one I saw near Camdenton, MO.

Hey Vin,

Got your message, but sorry i've been a bit busy to go back over the list.

So far we've got news of Firebird XII's along these lines:

XVII's currently owned and played by forum members and their acqaintences in the US and Europe: 7

XVII's that have come up for sale over the least 3 years: 6 that I'm sure are different guitars. 3 more listings that are or could be the same as one of those 6.

XVII's that were once owned by forum members or their acqaintences and sold on whose whereabouts are unknown: 2

Gotta admit, though, that this isn't all that scientific. This list got started because I saw your posts here and in the UK Vintage Forum and thinking there can't be that many FB XVII's in the Boston area I was wondering if you were the current owner of my old guitar. We figured out that we were both playing Firebird XVII's in Boston bars in the early 80's! As it turns out, since then I've seen another XVII for sale in Boston that isn't my old one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Count me in on the Firebird 12 frenzy. Am casually shopping for one but would go for a Melody Maker 12 if one came along, Long ago, I saw a Bird 12 in original cardinal red and p 90s. No joke.

Have worried a little that the neck on these is a little narrow for a 12, sorta like the Rick 12 problem.

• 1 month later...

Who is the guy in France who has a firebird 12 string? I used to have one, bought it in London in 1973 or 1974 from an American. Then it got stolen in 1988 here France where I now live. Never knew there was another one other than mine in france. I eventually replaced it with an Epiphone Les Paul 12 string which is a bit of an oddity but sounds great and has a wider neck than the F/Bird. Sure would like to know where it went.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all. I'm new here and just wanted to mention I had a beautiful Firebird 12 in I believe Cardinal red. My dad bought it for me used in the late sixties at BMI music in Burlington N.J. for $175. My brother got a Hofner "Beatle" bass. I was probably 13 or 14 at the time and it was a lot of guitar for me to handle. Traded it in '73 toward my black LP Custom.

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in on the Firebird 12 frenzy. Am casually shopping for one but would go for a Melody Maker 12 if one came along, Long ago, I saw a Bird 12 in original cardinal red and p 90s. No joke.

Have worried a little that the neck on these is a little narrow for a 12, sorta like the Rick 12 problem.

the 1/12 update is I did score a '67 Melody Maker 12 in sparkling burgundy... will be a placeholder while I'm lookin for Bird 12

Guys, its an odd bird and I have a lot of unanswered questions. Unfortunately the neck was broken and some guy made a sturdy but ugly neck repair and refinished the whole neck and neck plate. At some stage the owner must have thought he would fancy other fingerboard inlays, so the dots got replaced. Also check out the pick guard and the minihumbuckers (they have a Williamsville stamp on the back).

Hmmm - what do you guys think?

post-36274-067865100 1326472892_thumb.jpg

post-36274-078328300 1326472905_thumb.jpg

post-36274-016540100 1326472917_thumb.jpg

Cheers

MFF

• 4 months later...

DCBird, that 12string sounds very different, any pictures?

MFF, Love that color. Have you reworked that repair ready for paint?

All those necks were so thin (for 12string) it's amazing they all weren't

broken after all these years. BTW my minihums have the plain covers (no visible screws)

and the gold bell knobs, and hey, if those inlays were done well, you've got a custom/vintage

bird!

• 1 year later...

Well.....

Looking at those pictures, those are not the original humbuckers, not the pickguard (you already knew that) not the original pickup selector switch (all the V12's I've ever seen had slide switches). So at least the body, neck and tailpiece ar original. That shot of the neck looks just like mine.

Still, as someone else already stated, it's a killer-looking custom bird. Never seen one in antique white.

-Kev

Guys, its an odd bird and I have a lot of unanswered questions. Unfortunately the neck was broken and some guy made a sturdy but ugly neck repair and refinished the whole neck and neck plate. At some stage the owner must have thought he would fancy other fingerboard inlays, so the dots got replaced. Also check out the pick guard and the minihumbuckers (they have a Williamsville stamp on the back).

Hmmm - what do you guys think?

post-36274-067865100 1326472892_thumb.jpg

post-36274-078328300 1326472905_thumb.jpg

post-36274-016540100 1326472917_thumb.jpg

Cheers

MFF

post-13299-010836200 1374641990_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello everyone. I am so pleased to find so much attention about the Firebird 12 string. I have owned mine for over 30 years and I'm the second owner. Its a late model 66'with the sliding pick up selector. I have the original case with the gold-yellow lining. Its a custom colour "Gold Mist", original mini-buckers, but the pick guard I changed when the original started pulling away, from the screws and yes I kept the factory guard.

post-64049-046025400 1394649393_thumb.jpg

post-64049-076097400 1394648980_thumb.jpg

Archived