Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LGO HELP!!!

iPlayDMB

Hello all! I just took a walk-thru because I'm in the market for a home. The owners no longer live there, but in the garage I see a old beat up guitar case. I've been playing for nearly 20 years and have DREAMED of the day of coming across the "find." An elderly lady selling her deceased husbands 1920 Martin, etc.

Anyway, I open it up (I had snuck away from the realtor - sue me). It's a Gibson. I bring it inside. I'm somewhat friendly with the realtor and tell him to pass along the news that the owner should NOT keep this guitar in the cold (it's 11 degreed today) garage and that it could have some serious value.

So it's a beautiful acoustic - I snuck a couple pics that I can upload when I get home from work but all it had inside the sound hole was "LGO." No other numbers. I couldn't inspect it as well as I would have liked but I looked inside the sound hole the best I could - no sign of a serial number.

The LGO appeared in black ink in writing no larger than 3/4 the heith of a penny. The pick guard was screwed on with three screws.

Please contact me if that (which I doubt it does) allows anyone to identify the model.

Dave@iPlayDMB.com

I'll post the two quick pic's I was able to snap. Thank GOD I brough the camera to take photos of the house! Haha

By the way - what's with the password requirements for this forum??? I tried a 10 character password with numbers and mixed caps and it still wasn't good enough!? Good luck if I ever remember the crazy ars p-word I came up with!

It's an LG-0. That's the only identification it needs. All-mahogany, usually with a bound top, gold silkscreen headstock logo. Depending on the year it will have either a rosewood or plastic bridge. Introduced in 1959, I believe, discontinued in 1970. From 1962 to 1966 they had plastic bridges, though many have been replaced since then.

Value-wise, it depends on year and condition. They seem to have doubled in the past year or so, but they can range from $400 to $1000.

The third photo in my signature is my 1965 with a walnut bridge to replace the plastic. It still needs a brace repaired before I can string it.

Looks to be in good condition - a lot better than mine, anyway. Unless that finish crazing is actually related to a surface crack.

Mine is also unusually dark. Most I've seen are more like the one you saw.

It has a plastic bridge, which puts it between 1962 and 1966.

LG's are great guitars... I have a 1964 LG1 which is the same as yours but Sitka/Mahogany instead of all mahogany. Both will be ladder braced instead of X braced like the LG2 or LG3's were. Some prefer the X braced more modern tone and pay more for an LG2 or LG3, but I wanted the ladder braced blues tone and when one came avalable locally through Craigslist, I snapped it up. I needed the neck reset and I had a K & K mini Western pickup installed. It nails the blues fingerstyle stuff I play and also is great for 60's acoustic rock tunes. Tuned to DADGAD it is also a super Celtic sounding guitar.

That looks to have the original plastic bridge. Many people have had that replaced by a nice wood bridge. Mine has a period correct rosewood bridge, bone nut and bone saddle. I have played some with the plastic bridge and they really should be replaced to get the best tone and before they snap off on their own.

If your looking to buy one, make sure to check the neck angle and have a qualified luthier check out the interior braces as my guy said many times they are loose on the old LG's. Mine were all fine which was amazing considering the care the prior owner took of it! The finish crazing on mine is everywhere, but I love the look and it suits this Little Guitar!

Here are some photos of mine...

lg1Bench.jpg

LG1Closefront.jpg

LG1FIreSM.jpg

I really like my LG0. Mine's a '59 w/ a brazilian bridge. As Paul stated, great little blues guitars. Mine like Pohatu's has a very dark finish. My tech who did some hide glue work on my LG0 said that it was somewhat common for Gibson to "saturate" their Mahogany topped guitars with top finish coats. Anyway that's a nice looking little "brownie" but like others have mentioned, I'd think about replacing that plastic bridge before it splits and does other damage. Since they are screwed into the inside top that is a likely possibility

000_1226.jpg

Archived