Gibson Brands Forums

2007 SG Standard!

Burstbucker

Hi guys,

I bought this a couple of weeks before Christmas from a guy about a two minute drive from my house, he posted this 2007 SG Standard for sale on Kijiji and when I saw that the guitar that he was selling was near-mint for only $750.00 Canadian (appx $700.00 USD), hardshell case included, I jumped on it fast!

DSCN6510.jpg

DSCN6511.jpg

DSCN6508.jpg

DSCN6509.jpg

I know that it looks like the middle part of the guitar's body is a totally different board because it appears lighter then the rest of the body but it's actually two slabs joined together in the center, part of each slab has light wood that transitions to dark wood. It looks like they cut one piece of mahogany and split it open, then book-matched them together. The splice is in the usual spot that runs right in the center of the SG body, mine's spliced just underneath the strap button area, this is where the wood is a lighter color.

It is with deep shame that I have to reveal to you that there's actually one small sliver of wood that they had to use to finish off the upper bout.[blush]#-o So, this dang thing is really a 3-piece body! They almost had enough but not quite, they were short by about an inch! [-([biggrin] Oh well, she still looks great IMHO and plays and sounds like a dream. If I want to spend a pile more money to get the exact look that I prefer, I guess I could go buy a new one at the music store but that's not likely to happen any time soon since I saved $830.00 Canadian by buying used.

If I had the choice of getting what I consider the best looking SG Standard, I'd get one with a uniform grain pattern, expertly matched and with an even black speckled look, I also prefer the ones that are more red in color, rather then orange or brownish. Mine is definately more in the brownish category, still I like it just fine and I've nothing to complain about really. For the money it was a no-brainer!

Congrats and that's a great price! Where abouts in Canada are you? I've never seen one for that little.

Two piece bodies are common on SG Standards but I've never seen a three piece on a Standard. Cheaper SGs (cheaper, as in price, not quality) apparently have as many as five piece bodies.

Your fretboard looks a little light in colour. If you want to darken it up, use some bore oil. There's a product called Fret Doctor that's great for fretboard and also darken them if you leave it on long enough.

Thanks guys, I wasn't out shopping for an SG because I've already got more guitars then I really need but the price was just too good to pass up and I always did have a thing for SGs. they are just about the sexiest looking guitar out there IMHO.

SG=SEXY!!!

Plus, I'm really loving the fact this this guitar is so damned light in weight! I have a '79 ash bodied Strat that weighs a ton, a '96 Les Paul Standard that weighs the same and an Epiphone Dot Deluxe Flame now with Bigsby that's almost as heavy as the other two, this little SG is a real treat on the lower back. I'm 6 feet tall, in my late forties and have occasional back problems, this SG is a Godsend I'll tell ya![biggrin]

Are Nine,

I'm in Moncton, New Brunswick BTW.

I guess Gibson is starting to slip in some small slivers in there to make up the body. Like I said, mine is two big boards and a small 1" shard of wood at the upper bout, in the beveled area right where your forearm rests, it's pretty hard to tell that this extra shard is there but you have to look really close, so it doesn't jump out and scream 3-piece body. It doesn't bother me (can't imagine that it affects the tone) but then again, it's not really something to brag about either.[biggrin]

The planks in a lot of SGs are very well matched and it's really hard to see where they spliced the wood together, so there might be a few guys out there that have a 3-piece body and don't know it.

Some guys say that they have a 1-piece body but I've yet to see any new SGs in the stores with a 1-piece body, it's at least two pieces. And you can bet that the guitars that are painted a solid color are multi-piece, could be four or five pieces in there, who knows? Probably doesn't hurt the quality anyways.

In any case, the way I look at it, it's like I got this guitar at 52-53% off the out the door price of the Long & McQuade store here in town. This guitar would have cost me appx. $1580.00 Canadian after taxes. I got this one for $750.00 and no tax. The thing is near mint, still has all of the "case candy" and even the original sales receipt. It hasn't hardly been played and there's no fret wear. The guy hardly played the thing by the looks of it.

And of course the bottom line is always the sound and playability, this one is great on both counts.[blink]

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to address your suggestion about color the fretboard. Most of the pictures that I posted were taken just days after having purchased this SG and I hadn't payed much attention to the colour of the fretboard. But I did eventually take notice that it looked a bit dry so I applied some lemon oil over it. This did darken it somewhat and the wood is no longer dry like it was but it's still quite a bit lighter in colour then the fretboard on my '96 Les Paul Standard. Maybe my Les Paul's fretboard was lighter back when it was new and has darkened over the years?

I did look at a few new SG Standards at my local music store and they all had this same light coloured fretboard. Is it that Gibson is using lighter coloured wood these days or is it just a matter of the guitars being new? I wouldn't mind trying out some of this Fret Doctor stuff if it's safe to use. I think that it would add to the guitar's overall appearance.

A single slab? Sweet, that's a big chunk of Mahogany there! I find it funny that they don't charge a premium for the SG Standards that have one piece bodies, is it that most people don't know or care?

My '96 Les Paul Standard in Honeyburst has a single piece body and that's quite a huge chunk of wood. Are all unpainted Les Paul Standards made from one piece of Mahogany? I was looking at some new LP Standards the other day and the back of the neck and back and sides of the body were painted a solid color, I'll bet that those are multi-piece bodies hiding under all of that paint.

Do all of the new chambered Standards have painted backs and necks?

I also have to agree with your opinion about the neck on these things, I love these big 50s-style necks, all of my guitars have big necks, even my Strat. I hate guitars that have small necks because my hands are pretty big, so it doesn't work for me.

Some people still care about one piece bodies...and I'm one of them; especially, on LPs. I can't say that a single piece body sound any different or better than a multi piece but if I'm spending money on something, it'll be exactly how I want it. Placebo effect, works wonders! [biggrin]

New LPs can have up to three piece bodies but I think Standards/Traditionals are only one or two. The ones with painted backs are dependant on the finish. I can only think of three finishes right now - gold, black & Desertburst all come with painted backs. The rest, I believe, do not have painted backs.

The new Les Paul Standards that I was looking at the other day were all flame-tops (nice looking!) but they all had black paint in back. I always like to be able to peak through the finish to see what's under there, it doesn't have to be one-piece but I just like to see wood grain.

That's the only thing that I don't like on my Epiphone Dot Deluxe Flame, everything except the top is painted and I like seeing wood grain. Other then that, the guitar plays great, sounds great with Gibson '57 Classic & '57 Classic+ pickups and I just installed a Bigsby on it before Christmas (very good idea!).

BTW, Tim (Are Nine),

Where abouts in Canada are you in?

A single slab? Sweet' date=' that's a big chunk of Mahogany there! I find it funny that they don't charge a premium for the SG Standards that have one piece bodies, is it that most people don't know or care?

[/quote']

To be honest I didn't know until it arrived 'cause I bought it on eBay.

It's really a crapshoot when it comes to multi-piece bodies on SG's whether it's a Standard or Special. You really have to inspect them in person. I've seen one piece Specials and three and four piece Standards. If you got a good deal and it sounds sweet, play the CRAP out of it man!!

SG fan 420,

I have to smile every time that I see your avatar, my first seriously heavy album that I purchased as a kid way back in the mid 70s, was Black Sabbath Vol.4. I played that sucker to death and drooled over the picture on the inside sleeve of Iommi with SG in hand. I didn't even play guitar at the time but I loved the looks of the SG....soooo sexy and bad![biggrin]

Yeah your right, if the price is right and the guitar sounds sweet, just play the crap out it!

If I had have been out scouting around for a new SG, I might have turned my nose up at this guitar because of the multi-piece body issue but buying used at a great price limits your choices quite a bit. Your not picking through a rack of them and picking out your favorite.

I could have turned around and flipped this guitar right after having bought it and made an easy $200-$300 profit but I'll keep it, if I ever come across another SG later on that I like better, there's nothing saying that I wouldn't do it. I actually prefer the looks of the '61 re-issue but I don't care for the slim neck, I like big fat necks. I also like the idea of an SG with P-90s in it too. It's always fun to wheel and deal.[biggrin]

Archived